PDA

View Full Version : buying new HD powerbook screen and Superdrive

blueflame
Nov 8, 2005, 11:35 PM
So, ok, here is my questions, assuming that it would cost me around teh 700 dollar mark, is there any way that i could buy a new screen that comes on the new powerbooks? I have the last generation 17inch powerbook, 1.67ghz, with the 128 graphics chipset, so, basically, as far as i can tell, the only difference between the new 17incher and mine is the new screen and the dual layer drive. can i buy this drive and this screen and just switch it out? Ive taken apart a 17inch before, and the connections are fairly easy. where would i look for this and how much would it cost?
thakns all
andreas

Bear
Nov 9, 2005, 06:34 AM
So, ok, here is my questions, assuming that it would cost me around teh 700 dollar mark, is there any way that i could buy a new screen that comes on the new powerbooks?
...I suspect that a new screen and superdrive will cost more than $700 to obtain.

Then there is the question of compatability and voiding the warranty.

Might I suggest you look at how much you can sell your current PowerBook for and possibly buying a new one (which will come with warranty and won't need surgery) if you really want the higher resolution display.

mymemory
Nov 9, 2005, 06:58 AM
Usually screens as parts are very very expensive for powerbooks. It will be probably about $1500 or more itself IF you find it. You can ask an apple retailer and they will tell you.

blueflame
Nov 9, 2005, 08:02 AM
anyway to obtain that? more capacity is always wonderful. i have a vry large DVD collection, adn i am in the process of turning them all into h.264, i would love to be able to back that up onto these dvd's
andreas

generik
Nov 9, 2005, 11:49 AM
$1500? I will buy a 23" LCD for my office and my home, and one for the car if I have spare pocket change. Don't bother.

generik
Nov 9, 2005, 11:50 AM
The new LCD is very low quality btw, craptacular grade LCDs. You will fare much better with your samsung panels.

blueflame
Nov 9, 2005, 04:45 PM
so the screen i currently have is a samsung and the new ones are not? what are the newones?
andreas

JDOG_
Nov 9, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hah, come on now that's just ridiculous.

I agree with the others, for just the screen it's easily going to run you in excess of $1,500 which like has been said is worth just getting a giant external monitor and having a dual set-up.

I believe you're caught in the Apple reality distortion field, which has left you feeling like you MUST have this new Powerbook which in all reality doesn't sound a whole heck of a lot different from the one you have.

If you want to be on the BLEEDING edge, you're going to have to think about this. Even if you get this one, you're just going to want the Intel ones when they come out next year. It's a never-ending cycle.

airkarol
Nov 12, 2005, 05:15 PM
you cant do it...

The new screen requires a different video card and logic board, if you want to buy those too, then go ahead...

I don't think its worth it to buy all of that just for a screen thats not amazing.

You might as well just buy a new computer.