PDA

View Full Version : Ripped Movies on a MBA, but play on Windows 8 notebook?

MAC Byte
Jul 1, 2013, 06:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Question here (please)?

Will I be able to play movies I've ripped on my 2011 MBA using handbrake & vlc onto a pc windows 8 notebook by simply downloading "VLC for Windows"?

I prefer to have my MBA, but would require a windows-based notebook (Sony Vaio Pro 13 Ultrabook specifically) for work when I travel abroad. I'd like to watch my movies on it rather than packing my MBA along with it on these long journey.

Am I able to watch these MP4 movies by simply downloading VLC for Windows? Or will I require other apps or MP4 file conversion for these movies to play? I don't have my Vaio yet. I anticipate making the purchase in 2 weeks, but thought I'd ask now.

Thank you for your replies.

mknightretke
Jul 1, 2013, 07:17 PM
If you ripped them with Handbrake and converted into MP4/H.264, yes, they should play just fine under Windows. I don't even think you need VLC, although it will certainly be able to handle them.

MAC Byte
Jul 1, 2013, 07:36 PM
If you ripped them with Handbrake and converted into MP4/H.264, yes, they should play just fine under Windows. I don't even think you need VLC, although it will certainly be able to handle them.

Hey thanks for this reply. Yes, the file is in MP4/H.264 format. I never messed with the settings for HB and VLC, I ripped based on the default settings. So will Windows Media Player work fine? I figured any player should work fine since MP4 is a universal file, but thought, it may give me limitations due to Handbrake and VLC.

Also, under "Get Info" (OSX 10.7.5) when you click on the movie file, it says, open with VLC. I couldn't get DVD Player as an option on my MBA to open and play it.

mknightretke
Jul 1, 2013, 07:51 PM
So will Windows Media Player work fine?

Actually, I looked into it and they seem to have removed MP4 codecs from Windows 8, so go ahead and get VLC. (You could also install MP4 codecs yourself, but just using VLC may be easier.)

Also, under "Get Info" (OSX 10.7.5) when you click on the movie file, it says, open with VLC. I couldn't get DVD Player as an option on my MBA to open and play it.

DVD Player is just that. It plays physical DVDs that you insert into your computer, or non-converted ripped DVDs (the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS files). QuickTime should play it, though.

MAC Byte
Jul 1, 2013, 07:54 PM
Actually, I looked into it and they seem to have removed MP4 codecs from Windows 8, so go ahead and get VLC. (You could also install MP4 codecs yourself, but just using VLC may be easier.)

DVD Player is just that. It plays physical DVDs that you insert into your computer, or non-converted ripped DVDs (the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS files). QuickTime should play it, though.

OK Thanks!