Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So I did it, I FINALLY upgraded the thing to Leopard. This guy was originally running Tiger and had never seen a fresh install of it, other than when it was taken out of the box. WOW, how it made a difference. I tried to stick a DVD in, and then that was the moment it died forever, but that's for another day to deal with. :D

IMG_0023.JPG

Here is a close up of my desktop:

Picture%201.png

So to begin with, I changed a few strings in the Finder. "Places" is now "Favorites" and "Search For" is now "Tags". The tags are smart folders pointing to files in my home folder that specify to the labels. Followed this guide: http://www.silvermac.com/2007/modify-finder-sidebar-labels/

I also installed AirServer, which lets me AirPlay to the iMac from my MacBook Pro and iPad Mini running iOS 7. Lag free and the speakers sound great.

What else I'm running:

Safari - Works fine for me :rolleyes:
iCal - Setup to work with my iCloud calendars
Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign CS2 - I don't have the minimum RAM for CS3, so I'm using these for now
LittleSnapper - Screenshots
Unity - Just to play with
Espresso - For HTML/CSS
Cyberduck - FTP/SSH
Scrivener - Writing
Colloquy - IRC
Evernote - For notes
PhoneView - For iOS 7 support
MacTubes - For YouTube of course

And of course I'm using the Mountain Lion theme. :)

wobegong

May 29, 2012
I also installed AirServer, which lets me AirPlay to the iMac from my MacBook Pro and iPad Mini running iOS 7. Lag free and the speakers sound great.

Yes I use this as well mostly for streaming YouTube from my iphone/pad to the large ACD screen, works very well.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yes I use this as well mostly for streaming YouTube from my iphone/pad to the large ACD screen, works very well.

How did you get the video working? Mine only wants to do audio.

Oh, and this is hilarious. So you still have to do registrations when you set up your new OS, yeah? So I got an e-mail from Apple entitled, "Get to know your new iMac." Of course, it was for Mountain Lion, but still extremely funny. :D

wobegong

May 29, 2012
How did you get the video working? Mine only wants to do audio.

Some YouTube vids it doesn't work but the air server site acknowledges that (depends on the video in YouTube) other than that works fine though I don't use it that often any more as I have a PC hooked up to my tv now.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Some YouTube vids it doesn't work but the air server site acknowledges that (depends on the video in YouTube) other than that works fine though I don't use it that often any more as I have a PC hooked up to my tv now.

Ah, alright. I'll keep toying with it then.

Nice! Out of curiosity, which model is that iMac G4?

One of the very last ones released. This one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_1.25_17_fp.html

768 MB of RAM, and 80 GB HDD. Some kid brought it up to the photo lab and used it while he was there, and then left it I guess when he graduated. They threw it out a year or so after they did away with the PowerMac G5s which was in the last two-three years now I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.