PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Little's News for Pixar

MacBytes
Nov 9, 2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Chicken Little's News for Pixar (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051109010634)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

SiliconAddict
Nov 9, 2005, 09:47 AM
As long a that fat **** Eisner is gone I'd like to see a reconciliation with Disney. Eisner was a cancer at Disney and unfortunately that cancer spread. Hopefully the chemotherapy worked on Disney and they can roll out some classics again. Still. The fact that Disney still plans on rolling out Bambi II (http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/bambi2/home.html) pisses me off. Don’t dick with the classics guys. I'm hoping THAT was the last gasp of the Eisner regime playing one last final stupid card.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 9, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it had a good opening weeked, but the reviews suck.... let's see how much it makes in the long run.

dejo
Nov 9, 2005, 01:18 PM
The fact that the #1 movie only made $40 million in its first weekend shows how depressed the box office industry is lately.

montex
Nov 9, 2005, 01:41 PM
I wonder what it cost to make Chicken Little? I doubt that 40 million is even close to the break even point. Perhaps Business week should wait until there is some actual profit being made before they start saying threat Disney is a threat to Pixar.

MacFan782040
Nov 9, 2005, 02:03 PM
About $60 Million..and over 4 years to make.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371606/business

jettredmont
Nov 9, 2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah, it had a good opening weeked, but the reviews suck.... let's see how much it makes in the long run.

Exactly. Childrens' films will often get a really nice opening weekend. That's based on the trailer and up-front "buzz". Critical reviews rarely come into play there, unless they're getting headlines on the evening news (kids don't tend to read movie reviews). The reviews in this case were generally negative, but not overwhelmingly so; look at http://www.google.com/reviews?cid=b32d39e90b1cfe8e&oi=showtimesr&fq=movie+chicken+little and note that some reviewers almost touched on 4/5 stars for this thing! Meaning, going in to opening weekend, there certainly weren't "crap movie" alarm bells going off for the ticket-buying-units amongst us.

Next weekend is the test of Chicken Little.

IMHO, as I said in the other Chicken Little thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=160131), I think the movie will fail the second-weekend test. It is just a mediocre movie. People expected a lot more from Disney (meaning, regular movie-goers, not Hollywood/Wall Street drones). I have not talked with anyone who was not dissappointed with the movie. My screening was absolutely packed with kids, and they generally left in silence (which is a drastic contrast to the buzz coming out of The Incredibles or even Shrek 2). If you can't get little kids to talk about your movie two minutes after it has ended you have completely failed! In short, word of mouth is horrendous, and I expect that to have a negative effect on the movie next weekend.

In all actuality, compared to the post-movie buzz, the 3/5-4/5 star reviews out there seem to be highly over-generous. I'd have given it 2/5, 3/5 tops.

SummerBreeze
Nov 9, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sure, it may have pulled in $40 mil, but look what it's up against. At my movie theater, the other movies that are playing are Saw 2, The Legend of Zorro, Wallace and Gromit and Jarhead. While Jarhead is the only other movie that seems remotely decent, the fact that it's a war film will probably put off a few viewers.

Honestly, I love Pixar movies, and I will watch anything that the company rolls out. But the Pixar-less Chicken Little just didn't look good at all.

I really want to see a new relationship for Disney and Pixar. They work well together, and rooting for them is like rooting for Ross and Rachel. Hopefully everything will be able to work out.

dejo
Nov 9, 2005, 02:34 PM
Sure, it may have pulled in $40 mil, but look what it's up against. At my movie theater, the other movies that are playing are Saw 2, The Legend of Zorro, Wallace and Gromit and Jarhead. While Jarhead is the only other movie that seems remotely decent, the fact that it's a war film will probably put off a few viewers

Wallace and Gromit was more than decent, IMHO.

zap2
Nov 9, 2005, 02:50 PM
Sure, it may have pulled in $40 mil, but look what it's up against. At my movie theater, the other movies that are playing are Saw 2, The Legend of Zorro, Wallace and Gromit and Jarhead. While Jarhead is the only other movie that seems remotely decent, the fact that it's a war film will probably put off a few viewers.

Saw 2 looks good, but thats if you saw the first one

and teens and kids can't going with out an adult which will hurt sales

solvs
Nov 9, 2005, 03:00 PM
The fact that Disney still plans on rolling out Bambi II (http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/bambi2/home.html) pisses me off.
BAMBI 2!?! :eek:

Disney has officially raped my childhood.

SiliconAddict
Nov 9, 2005, 03:07 PM

I trust reviews as far as I can throw the H in the HOLLYWOOD sign. Reviews mean nothing other then what some pompous airbag thinks is artsy, special, or meets one personal standards that don't apply to 99.98478% of the rest the known universe. . . But I have no opinion on movie critics. . . No none at all. ;) :)

SiliconAddict
Nov 9, 2005, 03:09 PM

Oh they did that to me long ago. At this at this point I'm just laying there numb. When can we expect Robin Hood II? Bastards. :(

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2005, 03:21 PM
Finding Nemo grossed $864,214,978 worldwide... and opening week grossed 70million.

While its nice that Disney suckered 40million out of the public... I don't think it gives them the upper hand that this article depicts.

narco
Nov 9, 2005, 03:21 PM

I really hope they don't actually call it "Bambi II" -- that looks too much like Rambo II or Rocky II.

Fishes,
narco.

Dr. Dastardly
Nov 9, 2005, 03:25 PM
Well I'm going to make my eight year old cousin watch Chicken Little and then Saw II and we will see what he thinks.

This is the ONLY solution I can think of.

Dr. Dastardly
Nov 9, 2005, 03:26 PM
I really hope they don't actually call it "Bambi II" -- that looks too much like Rambo II or Rocky II.

Fishes,
narco.
The full title is Bambi II: Electric Boogaloo

I would see this opening day if that were the title.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 9, 2005, 03:29 PM
I think its too early to tell what happens. And regardless, Pixar is still Pixar - they don't really *need* Disney, its just a good match for business.

I think Wallace & Gromit will take the Oscars, though. Its too bad Cars didn't come out this year as well, having a direct competition Pixar VS Disney might have settled the question.

D

winmacguy
Nov 9, 2005, 04:01 PM
The fact that the #1 movie only made $40 million in its first weekend shows how depressed the box office industry is lately.
Judging by what they showed on the news last night there were fairly big lines waiting to get into see Chicken Little. It looked like a movie theatre in Manhattan....

winmacguy
Nov 9, 2005, 04:04 PM
My screening was absolutely packed with kids, and they generally left in silence (which is a drastic contrast to the buzz coming out of The Incredibles or even Shrek 2). If you can't get little kids to talk about your movie two minutes after it has ended you have completely failed! In short, word of mouth is horrendous, and I expect that to have a negative effect on the movie next weekend.
Geez thats pretty scary:eek:

bluebomberman
Nov 9, 2005, 04:13 PM

Any idea what the plot for Bambi 2 is? Does Bambi's dead mom come back from the dead? Does Bambi pick up a machine gun and go postal at a hunters' lodge? Does Bambi go human and start eating venison?

winmacguy
Nov 9, 2005, 05:08 PM
Any idea what the plot for Bambi 2 is? Does Bambi's dead mom come back from the dead? Does Bambi pick up a machine gun and go postal at a hunters' lodge? Does Bambi go human and start eating venison?
Lucky I am not at work reading that reply:D ;) hehehehe

SiliconAddict
Nov 9, 2005, 07:21 PM

No. Bambi is a teenager. . . What I've heard is that it comes in at the middle of the first movie and something angsty. Yes folks its Bambi angst. God help us all. I have enough of that around my friends. I do NOT need Emo Bambi. :( :mad:

bluebomberman
Nov 9, 2005, 10:26 PM
No. Bambi is a teenager. . . What I've heard is that it comes in at the middle of the first movie and something angsty. Yes folks its Bambi angst. God help us all. I have enough of that around my friends. I do NOT need Emo Bambi. :( :mad:

Are you serious? How the heck can you possibly do a teen-angst Disney movie when the motherly figure gets mowed down?

ldburroughs
Nov 10, 2005, 10:38 AM
Disney should go it alone. Personally, I'm sick of the back and forth banter between Pixar and Disney. Just sever the relationship and be done with it. Without Disney, Pixar would have a tough time with the whole distribution process. Pixar does and excellent job and I love all of the collaboration efforts from the years past, but if Jobs wants to play hardball, I say stick it to him. They'll do well in the future but nowhere near as well as if they were to remain partners with Disney. Besides, the Cars movie Jobs pushed back to next year doesn't really look like a hit. I think he pushed it back because he realized it might be a flop and he would lose even more leverage with Disney if that were to happen. Chicken Little is getting ho-hum reviews but my four year old daughter gave it "two thumbs up". In the end, that's all that really matters. Who cares what the "adult" movie critics think about the movie. It's a cartoon for crying out loud. Besides, even it if does "suck", it just goes to show you what the power of Disney's marketing efforts can accomplish. People with children will see it whether Ebert thinks it sucks or loves it. In terms of the animation itself, it was fantastic. But even that is something a four year old doesn't care much about.

sjk
Nov 10, 2005, 01:42 PM
Besides, the Cars movie Jobs pushed back to next year doesn't really look like a hit.The trailer I watched briefly (intentionally) was underwhelming. Maybe I'm wrong but the story and humor seem to have a different primary target audience than other Pixar films, with a less general appeal. Like with most films, I'd rather have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised.

solvs
Nov 10, 2005, 01:51 PM
I'd rather Jobs play hard ball and get a good product that everyone can enjoy, than Disney just release crap so they can sell Happy Meals. The fact that people are going to see it no matter how bad it is is kind of telling. Somehow, I doubt Pixar is going to have any trouble finding a new partner, but I hope they stay with Disney now that Eisner's gone.

They are just movies (I was kidding about the raped childhood part), but I don't think it's too much to ask that they not suck.