PDA

View Full Version : Just how much of a drain is Bluetooth?

thelookingglass
Jul 1, 2013, 10:07 PM
Maybe the expert electrical engineers (or anyone else qualified to answer the question) can help on this one:

I plug my 2013 MBA into an external monitor at home, complete with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It's a little bit of a pain shutting off Bluetooth everytime I take my MBA on the road, just to conserve battery. How much less battery life should I be expecting if I just leave Bluetooth on the whole time? Would it be a significant hit?

coldjeanzzz
Jul 1, 2013, 10:14 PM
...Why exactly is it a pain to turn off bluetooth, it takes like a split second to do it from the menu bar

thelookingglass
Jul 1, 2013, 10:16 PM
...Why exactly is it a pain to turn off bluetooth, it takes like a split second to do it from the menu bar

Thanks for your input, but that doesn't answer the question does it? :rolleyes:

Jedi Master
Jul 2, 2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks for your input, but that doesn't answer the question does it? :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy

Answer: <15ma. Means 100 hours is 1.5 amps

Hopes this helps

Regards,
Jed

APlotdevice
Jul 2, 2013, 01:52 AM
If the Bluetooth on a MacBook is optimized like an iPad, the drain should be fairly negligible. (Maybe a few minutes' difference)

Also, FWIW, I have heard there are scripts and applets that can automatically turn off Bluetooth when you go to battery power.

thelookingglass
Jul 2, 2013, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. The only two devices I have connected are a keyboard and mouse. I'd assume if there's no input from either of these devices, that the power draw would be extremely small.

Weaselboy
Jul 2, 2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe the expert electrical engineers (or anyone else qualified to answer the question) can help on this one:

I plug my 2013 MBA into an external monitor at home, complete with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It's a little bit of a pain shutting off Bluetooth everytime I take my MBA on the road, just to conserve battery. How much less battery life should I be expecting if I just leave Bluetooth on the whole time? Would it be a significant hit?

I have the same machine and use it just like you do at home. I have tinkered around with BT on vs. off and never noticed any difference at all in battery life either way. I just leave BT on all the time now rather than mess with it.

Chawbaw
Jul 2, 2013, 09:43 AM
Does anyone else experience wifi issues while Bluetooth is activated?