PDA

View Full Version : G3 500mhz ibook

toomuchstereo
Nov 9, 2005, 12:17 AM
WARNING NOOB QUESTION HERE!!!!!!

O.K. I have a old ass G3 ibook the dual usb version, i want to take it wireless, it looks to me to have a spot for a airport card under the keyboard. Can this take a Airport Extreme card or am i gonna have to find a older airport card?

Thanks.

miloblithe
Nov 9, 2005, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure you have to find the older card, which is unfortunate because they are no longer made and are more expensive.

toomuchstereo
Nov 9, 2005, 01:07 AM
anyone know for sure?

Macky-Mac
Nov 9, 2005, 01:12 AM
anyone know for sure?
yep, older

toomuchstereo
Nov 9, 2005, 01:18 AM
well damn i guess this guy is going on ebay

Jschultz
Nov 9, 2005, 11:19 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't remember paying $129-159 for an original airport card back in april/may.

Did they just recently go up that high?

grapes911
Nov 9, 2005, 11:21 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't remember paying $129-159 for an original airport card back in april/may.

Did they just recently go up that high?
The price raises on the original airport card almost everyday. Since they are no longer introduction, they are hard to find.

Jschultz
Nov 9, 2005, 11:26 AM
The price raises on the original airport card almost everyday. Since they are no longer introduction, they are hard to find.

That makes sense. I vaguely remember paying $89 for mine back In April.

ftaok
Nov 9, 2005, 12:03 PM
Check Apple's refurb page for the old Airport card. Also, smalldog.com may have them as well. Don't pay more than $80 for it though.

Another option is to find a specific Lucent wireless card and take it out of it's case. Apparently, the original Airport cards were basically Lucent cards in an Apple package. I just saw a post about it earlier this week.

Spievy
Nov 9, 2005, 12:52 PM
100% positive it takes the Originial Airport Card 802.11b. My wife has a 700mhz g3 ibook dual usb, the original airport card took a crap and I had to get a external USB Wifi adapter made by D-Link ($30) it worked great and then in an unrelated issue the ibook's motherboard decided to FAIL!!! Yep I was burned by the ibook mother board issue.:mad:

WildCowboy
Nov 9, 2005, 12:53 PM
Yowzas...even smalldog is charging $169 for them...I'll make sure to pull mine when I get rid of my Dual USB iBook...

http://www.smalldog.com/product/36265

Edit: And yes, if there was still any doubt, you need the original card, not the Extreme...I've got that exact model...

spencecb
Nov 9, 2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah, they are definitely more expensive now. I made a profit a couple years ago when I sold my old Airport card for my now retired Titanium PowerBook. They are in high demand on Ebay...Apple would be smart to continue to make them and raise the prices on them. They have to be cheap to make since it is old technology, but they have plenty of people still using the previous generations of hardware that use the original Airport.

ftaok
Nov 9, 2005, 01:21 PM
100% positive it takes the Originial Airport Card 802.11b. My wife has a 700mhz g3 ibook dual usb, the original airport card took a crap and I had to get a external USB Wifi adapter made by D-Link ($30) it worked great and then in an unrelated issue the ibook's motherboard decided to FAIL!!! Yep I was burned by the ibook mother board issue.:mad:
A 700mhz G3 iBook may still be covered under Apple's logic board replacement plan. The plan gives you coverage for 3 years after first purchase. You might get a new iBook out of the deal.

Spievy
Nov 9, 2005, 01:39 PM
A 700mhz G3 iBook may still be covered under Apple's logic board replacement plan. The plan gives you coverage for 3 years after first purchase. You might get a new iBook out of the deal.

Well I would send it to Apple but I had quite a few problems with that ibook before the Motherboard died. The HD broke , so I opened the case and replaced it with a faster 40 GIG. Then the LCD cables were being pinched, that would shut down the display, I modified the case a little and it worked great, (keep in mind that the warantee was up on it and this was before Apple had started to replace the motherboards). Then the Airport card died, and finally motherboard died. BTW the ibook was not abused it actually sat on a computer desk for 90% of the time. So After opening the case and modifying it I ASSUMED apple would,'t even look at the computer.

ftaok
Nov 9, 2005, 01:44 PM
Well I would send it to Apple but I had quite a few problems with that ibook before the Motherboard died. The HD broke , so I opened the case and replaced it with a faster 40 GIG. Then the LCD cables were being pinched, that would shut down the display, I modified the case a little and it worked great, (keep in mind that the warantee was up on it and this was before Apple had started to replace the motherboards). Then the Airport card died, and finally motherboard died. BTW the ibook was not abused it actually sat on a computer desk for 90% of the time. So After opening the case and modifying it I ASSUMED apple would,'t even look at the computer.
I apologize for taking the thread off topic, but Spivey may benefit from this.

If you still have the iBook, it's worth it to see if they'll repair it. What can you lose? As long as the SN is in the range of the "affected" iBooks, then it qualifies. Whether they decide to cover it or not, depends on them. But the upside could be a brand new iBook.

Spievy
Nov 9, 2005, 01:54 PM
I apologize for taking the thread off topic, but Spivey may benefit from this.

If you still have the iBook, it's worth it to see if they'll repair it. What can you lose? As long as the SN is in the range of the "affected" iBooks, then it qualifies. Whether they decide to cover it or not, depends on them. But the upside could be a brand new iBook.

You know what, you are right. I will send it in, what can I lose, shipping charges??? Definately worth the gamble. Thanks ftaok

I too appologize for taking the thread off topic.:)

me_94501
Nov 9, 2005, 02:39 PM
WARNING NOOB QUESTION HERE!!!!!!

O.K. I have a old ass G3 ibook the dual usb version, i want to take it wireless, it looks to me to have a spot for a airport card under the keyboard. Can this take a Airport Extreme card or am i gonna have to find a older airport card?

Thanks.
Check your PMs. ;)

poolin1243
Nov 9, 2005, 03:34 PM
i agree that the prices are wayyy to high for these cards...anybody know of any alternatives? what about a usb alternative??

ftaok
Nov 9, 2005, 03:49 PM
i agree that the prices are wayyy to high for these cards...anybody know of any alternatives? what about a usb alternative??Personally, USB solutions aren't good for laptops. The adapter hanging out the side of the port is asking to be broken.

I referred to this thread a few posts up. THREAD (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=126103&highlight=airport+card+alternative)
One of the posters says the Lucent Wave card works.

ft