PDA

View Full Version : Air 2010 "sticky" trackpad - how to tell if software or hardware?

JonLa
Jul 2, 2013, 04:00 AM
Hi folks,
My 2010 Air (13" 4GB) recently developed what can only be described as a "sticky" trackpad - it selects and drags when i'm moving the cursor about. I've done a lot of googling and this is potentially a hardware problem which can be solved by a trackpad replacement. Before I contact Apple about it (and luckily I do have applecare, though only the in-store Edu version) I wanted to eliminate software causes.

I've uninstalled everything that I might have put on after it started happening, reset PRAM and the other one (NVRAM?). The next step may be a clean installation of OSX, but that's gonna be time consuming and irritating, not least because I'll want a 2nd, full time machine backup, and if its a software problem that might just reintroduce the problem. Is there anything I could look for in the log files that might enlighten me? Any tools you can recommend to analyse the trackpad directions?

Macman45
Jul 2, 2013, 04:08 AM
I'd say it's a hardware issue...Had the same thing on my 2011 MBA...Apple replaced the trackpad in store in a couple of hours...no questions asked.

RayK
Jul 2, 2013, 08:48 AM
It sounds like a hardware issue. Had the same thing happen to a user recently and a new trackpad fixed it.