PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 Installs Hit All-Time High for Beta Software

MacRumors
Jul 2, 2013, 02:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/ios-7-installs-hit-all-time-high-for-beta-software/)

According to mobile publishing company Onswipe (http://onswipe.com/) (via TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/02/ios-7-shows-interest-in-apple-pre-release-software-on-the-rise-per-onswipe/)) adoption of Apple's iOS 7 beta software is ramping up faster than for previous versions.

For example, after the iOS 6 beta was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/ios-6-beta-for-developers-now-available/) to developers on June 11, 2012, Onswipe noted two weeks later that 0.25% of mobile devices that visited the company's sites were running the iOS 6 beta. Devices running the iOS 7 beta, which was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-releases-ios-7-beta-1-to-developers/) to developers on June 10, represented 0.46% of total traffic to Onswipe sites as of July 1, 2013.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/ios72.jpg
0.77% of iPhones that accessed Onswipe's sites were running iOS 7, while 0.28% of all iPad visits came from tablets using the beta OS, which debuted for the iPad just last week (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apple-seeds-ios-7-beta-2-to-developers/). Comparatively, during the same time period last year, just 0.19% of iPads and 0.38% of iPhones were running the iOS 6 beta.The takeaways from Onswipe, according to CEO Jason Baptiste, are that developers are around twice as excited about iOS 7 as they were about iOS 6, and that they're spending more time getting ready for the big changes coming in the new version of Apple's mobile OS in order to have everything nice and tidy for the consumer launch coming this fall.iOS 7 represents a significant design change (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-announces-ios-7-with-major-design-overhaul/) for Apple's mobile operating system, which has been largely the same since its 2007 debut. It also brings a number of additional internal changes, including an overhauled Notification Center, a new Control Center, and redesigned multitasking capabilities. The operating system is currently available for developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apple-seeds-ios-7-beta-2-to-developers/), and is slated to be released in the fall alongside the iPhone 5S (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apples-prototype-iphone-5s-based-on-new-a7-chip/).

Article Link: iOS 7 Installs Hit All-Time High for Beta Software (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/ios-7-installs-hit-all-time-high-for-beta-software/)

TimeSquareDesi
Jul 2, 2013, 02:33 PM
stating the obvious. millions upon millions of devices in the world run iOS, of course the # of beta users would also be higher.

gpat
Jul 2, 2013, 02:34 PM
This obviously is a result of the UDID check dismission.

itsthenewdc
Jul 2, 2013, 02:36 PM
Percent doesn't really mean anything. What if the site had less overall visitors, and the percentages equaled the same number of beta devices?

STiNG Operation
Jul 2, 2013, 02:39 PM
Sweet, now let's time travel to the final version.

iAi
Jul 2, 2013, 02:47 PM
Apple is doomed as most of those are Phandroids who pretended to buy iP5 and are as if for real beta testing iOS 7 just to prove they did it so they can bash it everywhere. Then once they are done, they had returned their still shiny iphones. The same mob who joined the scuffsgate party. It's a bigger "disaster" than iMaps and scuffsgate. Apple resellers, beware of those buyers with bulging enormous S4 or Notes in their pockets. /s

Klae17
Jul 2, 2013, 02:49 PM
Apple is doomed as most of those are Phandroids who pretended to buy iP5 and are as if for real beta testing iOS 7 just to prove they did it so they can bash it everywhere. Then once they are done, they had returned their still shony iphones. The same mob who joined the scuffsgate party. It's a bigger "disaster" than iMaps and scuffsgate. Apple resellers, beware of those buyers with bulging enormous S4 or Notes in their pockets. /s

I saw the /s, but, what?

idkmybffjon
Jul 2, 2013, 02:50 PM

Not sure what youre talking about, but you most certainly still need a registered UDID.

CrimsonKnight
Jul 2, 2013, 03:03 PM
So I used iOS 7 beta 2. I really enjoy it. I like the translucent parts to the os, and some much needed updates, such as having a control center.

Siri seems to have had a big upgrade too, as it replies much faster, seems more accurate as well. Sounds less robotic in the pronunciation.

This is a step in the right direction for apple, I enjoy the changes they are making.

WeegieMac
Jul 2, 2013, 03:06 PM
Not sure what youre talking about, but you most certainly still need a registered UDID.

No you don't.

Download the ipsw, hold the option key (shift on windows) and click on Check For Update when your iPhone is synced with iTunes.

Browser window pops up, select the iOS 7 ipsw, and off you go ... works best if you restore to a clean iOS 6 install first, as updating on top of a well used iOS 6 install can result in more crashes.

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 2, 2013, 03:08 PM
Apple found a way to charge for iOS. Let people pay for a developer account so they can run a beta.

iJon
Jul 2, 2013, 03:09 PM

Not sure what you're talking about cause you do not. I think it's because people were charging to add people to their developer list, so they've essentially killed people from doing that.

PorterRocks
Jul 2, 2013, 03:12 PM
I can't help but think a good portion of those "beta testers" are just people who shelled out the $100 to say they have iOS 7 before anyone else. Not for any actual beta testing.

DavidLeblond
Jul 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
I really hope all y'all using the beta are submitting Radars when you find a bug and not just griping in forums.

bacaramac
Jul 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
Hopefully its all those developers making their software compatible with iOS in the Car.

I can only dream...I already know Pioneer is testing, Alpine better be right behind.

FoxMcCloud
Jul 2, 2013, 03:32 PM
I wonder how many of those people are actually developers versus eager beavers. Lots of people seem to be laying down the cash for a developer account just for the beta. Eager beavers!

AstronomyiPhone
Jul 2, 2013, 03:40 PM
Apple found a way to charge for iOS. Let people pay for a developer account so they can run a beta.

I sincerely hope you realize that you pay for a developer account for access to developer tools, not to test iOS betas. This is not an open beta, it's a beta for developers to get their apps ready for the final release in the fall. If people want to pay money to install a pre-release OS on their devices, then they're welcome to pay for a developer account, but that's not what the account is for.

SockRolid
Jul 2, 2013, 03:41 PM
According to mobile publishing company Onswipe (via TechCrunch) adoption of Apple's iOS 7 beta software is ramping up faster than for previous versions.

Looking forward to installing it on a development device. Probably the new low-end iPod touch. Won't dare install it on my personal iPhone and iPad until very late in the beta period.

And why would I bother with iOS 7 beta? Why not wait until the official release along with the iPhone 5S, then wait for older iPhone / iPad users to upgrade? Because it looks like it might be such a game changer that developers will update their apps to only run on iOS 7+. Because any app that is backward compatible with iOS 6 will look dated and old-school.

iOS 7 will probably thin the herd. Developers who can't or won't commit to the all-new GUI will be left behind. New developers with brand-new apps will have a chance to shine. Better to plant the stake and start updating our apps right now for iOS 7 and beyond.

09sroyal
Jul 2, 2013, 03:45 PM
Inb4 iOS 7 sux
Could someone translate this into English please?

----------

stating the obvious. millions upon millions of devices in the world run iOS, of course the # of beta users would also be higher.
It's a percentage...

----------

You don't, there is a way around it for this release that apple have missed. Many people are using it.

pnoyblazed
Jul 2, 2013, 03:45 PM
I wonder how many of those people are actually developers versus eager beavers. Lots of people seem to be laying down the cash for a developer account just for the beta. Eager beavers!

lol you said beavers

gmanist1000
Jul 2, 2013, 03:50 PM

No, you don't. There's a workaround with this beta.

Mac Fly (film)
Jul 2, 2013, 04:07 PM
OnSwipe? You mean the d i c k heads who make that software that ruins websites for the iPad?

Differentuser
Jul 2, 2013, 04:36 PM
I assure you,
That you do not need a registered UDID.
Let's hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here

dannyyankou
Jul 2, 2013, 04:57 PM
No you don't.

Download the ipsw, hold the option key (shift on windows) and click on Check For Update when your iPhone is synced with iTunes.

Browser window pops up, select the iOS 7 ipsw, and off you go ... works best if you restore to a clean iOS 6 install first, as updating on top of a well used iOS 6 install can result in more crashes.

This method also worked for iOS 6, I believe.

hexonxonx
Jul 2, 2013, 04:58 PM
I assure you,
And it was like this with 6.0+ I believe. I always wait and install the GM when it us relased a week or two before it os out for the public.

TonyC28
Jul 2, 2013, 05:09 PM

Percent doesn't really mean anything. What if the site had less overall visitors, and the percentages equaled the same number of beta devices?

Percentages could be indicative of something, but the article doesn't make it clear. In the second paragraph the article cites an increase in the percentage of "mobile devices" running iOS 7. That doesn't really tell us much. As you have said, that can mean a lot of things. However, the third paragraph cites an increase in hits from iOS 7 beta users compared to hits from iOS 6 beta on iPhones in particular. That does tell us something. Of course it only applies to this one site so I'm not sure if it's clear proof of a trend.

macs4nw
Jul 2, 2013, 05:12 PM
Inb4 iOS 7 sux

Could someone please translate this into English please?.....

I could be off here, but I think he's expecting an influx of people to post their dislike of iOS7.....:rolleyes: :D

ScottishCaptain
Jul 2, 2013, 05:46 PM
The takeaways from Onswipe, according to CEO Jason Baptiste, are that developers are around twice as excited about iOS 7 as they were about iOS 6, and that they're spending more time getting ready for the big changes coming in the new version of Apple's mobile OS in order to have everything nice and tidy for the consumer launch coming this fall.

Uh huh.

All this tells me is that Onswipe is apparently too stupid to do a little research and figure out that iOS 7 can be installed by anyone, with or without a developer account. Too bad their CEO looks like an idiot now.

I personally work with and know even more iOS developers. None of them are interested in iOS 7 at the moment. The sales for any one particular app doesn't justify the cost of overhauling the entire user interface just because Apple says we should.

Almost everyone believes that they will inevitably land up building iOS 7 specific applications in the future, but for the stuff that is already out there- nothing. Nobody is preparing for anything, other then the inevitable **** storm iOS 7 will bring down upon us all. As far as development goes, it's just another day in iOS 5 or iOS 6 land.

-SC

Mattsasa
Jul 2, 2013, 05:46 PM
I am using it now :)

I really like it. Crashes a lot though when the ram fills. But that is to be expected.

Whoever was bashing apple for charging people for iOS by using these betas. Shame on them

ijohn.8.80
Jul 2, 2013, 06:19 PM
I personally work with and know even more iOS developers. None of them are interested in iOS 7 at the moment.

Nobody is preparing for anything, other then the inevitable **** storm iOS 7 will bring down upon us all. As far as development goes, it's just another day in iOS 5 or iOS 6 land.

-SC

OK... The 3 that I know are working to update their apps and here I was thinking that us Aussies had a slack work ethic! I'm testing for one of them and getting a sneak look at iOS 7 at the same time.

clancemasterj
Jul 2, 2013, 06:24 PM
Apple is getting daily crash reports from all the unauthorized users. The more data apple is collecting the better. While they will never officially allow access outside the developer program, there is no reason to limit a curious person to install the beta. Those curious people just need to realize that they have no support if things go south.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 2, 2013, 06:56 PM
When it Comes to iOS 7 Design, Apple and Developers Speak Different Languages http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/when_it_comes_ios_7_design_apple_and_developers_speak_different_languages

flux73
Jul 2, 2013, 08:32 PM
I can't help but think a good portion of those "beta testers" are just people who shelled out the $100 to say they have iOS 7 before anyone else. Not for any actual beta testing.And you're not happy about this because...?

SchneiderMan
Jul 2, 2013, 08:44 PM
Because anyone can install iOS 7 without a dev account or a registered IMEI. All you've got to do is search for the files online.

ghostface147
Jul 2, 2013, 08:51 PM
I bet a lot of people are complaining of poor battery life, frequent springboard crashes when task switching, and freezing of safari/messages.

Nightarchaon
Jul 3, 2013, 01:43 AM

No you don't, you download the Ipsw from, say, a certain jolly roger themed site, hold shift/option/command (cant remember which) and click restore in iTunes , then browse to the ipsw, and a few seconds later, your running the iOS beta. It fails to check back with apple if the device your trying to install to is registered if you already have the file at hand.

not sure if it will allow over the air upgrades to the next beta, or if you have to roll back to iOS 6.x before the beta version expires (my UDID is registered so it all works ok for me)

But to install and run iOS7, no you don't need a UDID, you just need to obtain the IPSW package for the device your using.

----------

I bet a lot of people are complaining of poor battery life, frequent springboard crashes when task switching, and freezing of safari/messages.

Beta 1 definitely had all that, beta 2 is much more polished, and ebay have fixed the bug they had with their app and it now works as well.

So far im very impressed with Beta 2, the number of bug fixes from 1, and the leap towards final is huge.

now ive just got to wait 11 months for my bank to update its app to work, they updated it for iPhone 5 just before the beta released and the update wont see an internet connection in either Beta, but they previous version does, which is weird.

jlnr
Jul 3, 2013, 02:27 AM
But to install and run iOS7, no you don't need a UDID, you just need to obtain the IPSW package for the device your using.

When I tried to install iOS 7 on a brand new dev device, I could not activate the phone before adding the UDID to the dev portal.

Is Apple being really inconsistent with checking the UDID?…

hexonxonx
Jul 3, 2013, 02:33 AM
When I tried to install iOS 7 on a brand new dev device, I could not activate the phone before adding the UDID to the dev portal.

Is Apple being really inconsistent with checking the UDID?
No, you just installed it wrong.

lsutigerfan1976
Jul 3, 2013, 03:41 AM

Yeah i would try it again. Cause i installed IOS7 on a buddy's phone he just bought (iphone 5) All i did was click update and not restore. I did have to make sure he was on 6.1.4 before updating. But he is running beta 2 without having to register his device.

Staying on topic, i think the big influx of installations of ios 7 beta has more to do with the fact this ios will be different. If it were the same as the previous versions, not that many ppl would worry about previewing the new os as they are now.

mw360
Jul 3, 2013, 03:57 AM

Do you post that every year, or just the years it happens to be wrong?

Ries
Jul 3, 2013, 06:01 AM
I sincerely hope you realize that you pay for a developer account for access to developer tools, not to test iOS betas. This is not an open beta, it's a beta for developers to get their apps ready for the final release in the fall. If people want to pay money to install a pre-release OS on their devices, then they're welcome to pay for a developer account, but that's not what the account is for.

You don't pay for development tools, xcode is free. You pay to get your app on the store and to run it on your device.

mrxak
Jul 3, 2013, 06:14 AM
I took advantage of my developer account to try out iOS 6 early, but I'm waiting on iOS 7 until I get the iPhone 7th gen. I'm very happy with iOS 6 on my 4S, and I don't want to risk having it slow to a crawl with all the fancy new stuff. I plan on still using the 4S as a PDA for years to come after the phone functionality is disconnected.

Nightarchaon
Jul 3, 2013, 06:20 AM

Your installing it as a fresh install or restore, you need to install it as an upgrade to an already activated iOS 6.x device

gikku
Jul 3, 2013, 06:38 AM
100% of my iphone is running on iOS 7.
And that's a stat.

eltaurus
Jul 3, 2013, 06:50 AM
After trying iOS 7 beta I switched to HTC one..

Hate apple for restrictions on iPhone 4 share feature..

Lovin android with HTC one...

Now iPhone screen looks like Nokia

True jail break for iOS is android

mw360
Jul 3, 2013, 07:01 AM

Our gain is their loss. Happy torrenting ;)

Mr.damien
Jul 3, 2013, 07:19 AM
"that developers are around twice as excited about iOS 7 as they were about iOS 6"

That's the whole point of iOS7, developpers are happy because they can now fake they can do UI easily as you only have to do plain square and text while designers are unhappy because all the stuff they know is basically useless if they want to do "standard" Apple Apps.

Fortunately, they will continue to drive the design as they did on iOS 6 by avoiding crap leather stuff.

nancyfromafrica
Jul 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
it seems the number of users using beta iOS 7 have increased compared to iOS 6. Not to mention the devices which they have sold have also increased comparatively.

cjmillsnun
Jul 3, 2013, 09:30 AM
I assure you,

You're supposed to need a registered UDID, but Apple have screwed up and there is a workaround.

jonnysods
Jul 3, 2013, 09:41 AM
I hope they hit an all time high of beta patches soon too. My iPhone 4 crashes like crazy. Like the changes, but I would say it's the most unstable release so far. iOS5 was the king of beta releases. Stable and amazing.

Ryth
Jul 3, 2013, 09:52 AM

Is it the obvious? Because according to the media, no one wants an iOS device and Samsung/Android is king.

But facts state otherwise.

juanmanas
Jul 3, 2013, 09:58 AM
Apple is doomed as most of those are Phandroids who pretended to buy iP5 and are as if for real beta testing iOS 7 just to prove they did it so they can bash it everywhere. Then once they are done, they had returned their still shiny iphones. The same mob who joined the scuffsgate party. It's a bigger "disaster" than iMaps and scuffsgate. Apple resellers, beware of those buyers with bulging enormous S4 or Notes in their pockets. /s

Dyslexic?

----------

So you are comparing a 3 years old phone with a new one, after testing a beta software.

Do I have your permission to share your post on buzzfeed.com?? ;-)

Ryth
Jul 3, 2013, 10:17 AM

So a 3 year old phone and a beta....oooookkkkkk

viacavour
Jul 3, 2013, 10:18 AM

It tells me you didn't use iOS7 beta. They revamped the share feature and it is much better than android.

iOS7 is very different from android, win phone and iOS6 !

Ryth
Jul 3, 2013, 10:23 AM
It tells me you didn't use iOS7 beta. They revamped the share feature and it is much better than android.

He's just a android troll. No one can take someone seriously with an opinion when they are using a beta and 3 year old phone.

moderately
Jul 3, 2013, 10:25 AM
"that developers are around twice as excited about iOS 7 as they were about iOS 6"

That's the whole point of iOS7, developpers are happy because they can now fake they can do UI easily as you only have to do plain square and text while designers are unhappy because all the stuff they know is basically useless if they want to do "standard" Apple Apps.

Fortunately, they will continue to drive the design as they did on iOS 6 by avoiding crap leather stuff.

I am trying to transate this into english sentences. This is what I think you mean:

"Developers are happy because UI is easy with the simple look." ('fake' as in, "don't need to know design"? I don't understand this.)
"Designers are unhappy because design is impossible with this new look."

I don't know who you think is going to continue to drive design.

So I think I mostly disagree except for the part about the leather.

eltaurus
Jul 3, 2013, 10:54 AM
Dyslexic?

----------

So you are comparing a 3 years old phone with a new one, after testing a beta software.

Do I have your permission to share your post on buzzfeed.com?? ;-)

here is thing I have been using iphone from its first release (iPhone 2G-4). I am bored of iOS & apple restrictions.

& I compared iphone5 & HTC One ... HTC is clear winner in terms of Screen & Features ..

There is more to the story Why I switched so many reasons ..

SirithX
Jul 3, 2013, 10:57 AM

You could actually install the iOS 6 beta the same way last year without a registered UDID. Less people knew about it because less people cared about iOS 6 at the time compared to enthusiasm for iOS 7 now, but I distinctly remember people here on these very forums doing the same thing. iOS 5 on the other hand definitely had no such exploit.

eltaurus
Jul 3, 2013, 10:58 AM

Nah Nah don't worry Fan Boy .. I didn't just switch because of Beta iOS.. I was feed up of apple control .. I always loved Android Openness But never liked any phone from Samsung. So HTC One is amazing build with Open OS

.Asa
Jul 3, 2013, 11:13 AM
You're supposed to need a registered UDID, but Apple have screwed up and there is a workaround.

Apple didn't screw up, they just don't care. If they wanted to prevent non-devs form installing the beta, they easily could. But they don't.

eltaurus
Jul 3, 2013, 11:14 AM
So a 3 year old phone and a beta....oooookkkkkk

no no .. using iphone since 2007 until now ..

elev8d
Jul 3, 2013, 11:40 AM
Uh huh.

I personally work with and know even more iOS developers. None of them are interested in iOS 7 at the moment. The sales for any one particular app doesn't justify the cost of overhauling the entire user interface just because Apple says we should.

-SC

LOL at this statement. If you don't upgrade your app, when 90% of the iPhone userbase upgrades their phones, you're going to have an unstable app and get down rated into oblivion. Companies with worthwhile apps definitely are not going to let this happen, as it would damage their brands.

xdxdaustin
Jul 3, 2013, 12:28 PM
no no .. using iphone since 2007 until now ..

No he's saying that your iPhone 4 which you used an unfinished OS on was 3 years old. It is not fair for you to judge iOS 7 and the ability of an iPhone based on a product which is clearly quite old and another product which has a multitude of issues and isn't completed. That would be like me saying Android is crap because a beta of Jellybean ran like crap on my original Droid.

eltaurus
Jul 3, 2013, 01:11 PM
No he's saying that your iPhone 4 which you used an unfinished OS on was 3 years old. It is not fair for you to judge iOS 7 and the ability of an iPhone based on a product which is clearly quite old and another product which has a multitude of issues and isn't completed. That would be like me saying Android is crap because a beta of Jellybean ran like crap on my original Droid.

ufff.. here are reasons " I tested iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.. I didn't like Apple hold Airdrop Feature from iPhone 4"

I gifted my Bro iPhone 5 recently .. I didn't like iphone 5 .. nothing special .. just longer screen..

I want to load games in my iphone But guess what I can't because games aren't available in my country store :D..

I have to register US acc but dam i don't CC from USA .. then I have pay around 25$ to get a 3$ game .. wow

In need to tranfers a Photo / File / song to my fone .. dam I have to go to home load it in itunes then sync .. then i will be able to get it .. seriously

Plus many more reasons..

xdxdaustin
Jul 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
ufff.. here are reasons " I tested iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.. I didn't like Apple hold Airdrop Feature from iPhone 4"

I gifted my Bro iPhone 5 recently .. I didn't like iphone 5 .. nothing special .. just longer screen..

I want to load games in my iphone But guess what I can't because games aren't available in my country store :D..

I have to register US acc but dam i don't CC from USA .. then I have pay around 25$ to get a 3$ game .. wow

In need to tranfers a Photo / File / song to my fone .. dam I have to go to home load it in itunes then sync .. then i will be able to get it .. seriously

Plus many more reasons..

Look you do what you want, I don't really care. I was simply trying to clear up a misconception you had between beta testing and the fact English isn't your first language. I will say however if you think iOS syncing is a pain you've seen nothing yet. I used to be an Android guy and then I moved to the iPhone, but do what you want, differences are what makes this world go 'round :D

eltaurus
Jul 3, 2013, 02:40 PM
Look you do what you want, I don't really care. I was simply trying to clear up a misconception you had between beta testing and the fact English isn't your first language. I will say however if you think iOS syncing is a pain you've seen nothing yet. I used to be an Android guy and then I moved to the iPhone, but do what you want, differences are what makes this world go 'round :D

I am just having fun with apple fan boys ( i use to be one of them ).. yeap english isn't my first language .. Obviously I will do what ever i like :D..
BTW i agree with you android being crap on crappy phones But trust me HTC One is amazing compare to iphones..

for me
iphone compare to HTC one
is like
nokia to iphone .. hahaha

jlnr
Jul 3, 2013, 02:42 PM
No, you just installed it wrong.

I've installed it the official(?) way, by using the IPSW and restoring my phone. I didn't know there was another way.

Anyway, all I'm saying then is that there is a UDID check somewhere :) And I ran into it.

ChrisNH
Jul 3, 2013, 08:02 PM
I think Apple is on the right track here, recognizing on the one hand that the iPhone is an amazing 'halo' product while also realizing that they are chasing buyers to other retailers (***cough*** WAL-MART ***cough***) and diluting that so-called halo. As upcoming new iPhone buyers this fall, we like seeing Apple play into OUR hands rather than the other way around. Tough nuggets if their margins slip a bit.

Now, onto this so-called 'low-cost iPhone.' Is it only going to be sold in Botswana and Mozambique or here as well?

ScottishCaptain
Jul 3, 2013, 10:03 PM
LOL at this statement. If you don't upgrade your app, when 90% of the iPhone userbase upgrades their phones, you're going to have an unstable app and get down rated into oblivion. Companies with worthwhile apps definitely are not going to let this happen, as it would damage their brands.

LOL back at you.

I don't care if I have to update a few things to make sure the app doesn't completely crash (by the way, what sort of a company takes a wrecking ball to their APIs in such a way that existing apps fail to launch?). I'm under no obligation to rewrite my entire application UI just to mesh in with iOS 7's new "style".

If you think that every developer on the planet should suddenly invest a large amount of time restyling their applications and maintaining two code bases for two completely different user interfaces, just because Apple decided to throw away everything premium about their platform.

-SC

mumph
Jul 4, 2013, 10:38 AM
Could someone translate this into English please?

It says "Inbred. IQ of 4. iOS7. Stupid sexy Flanders."

antonis
Jul 4, 2013, 02:10 PM

So the real question is: "Do you have an S4 in your pocket or are you happy to see me ?"

OTACORB
Jul 4, 2013, 02:51 PM
If you think that every developer on the planet should suddenly invest a large amount of time restyling their applications and maintaining two code bases for two completely different user interfaces, just because Apple decided to throw away everything premium about their platform.

-SC

The fact is that most developers that make money will indeed update their apps. Maybe not everyone will and they don't even have to like doing it, but in order to stay fresh many devs will do it.

This is Apple's game, they can do whatever they want, you got two options come along for the ride or get off the ride. Totally up to you!

CJM
Jul 5, 2013, 08:02 AM
I'm using it as my daily driver for both of my devices and you certainly don't need your UDID registered to install it.

I regret the decision slightly, because it is a little prone to crashes and the animations are slow, but it seems better on my iPhone than iPad.

----------

I've installed it the official(?) way, by using the IPSW and restoring my phone. I didn't know there was another way.

Anyway, all I'm saying then is that there is a UDID check somewhere :) And I ran into it.

Yeah, because you restored your phone.

robgreene
Jul 5, 2013, 08:04 AM
The increase is probably also in part because Developers are now charging a small fee (I've seen as low as $8) to add you to their list of "developers". I've got several friends who have been running iOS7 since the day they released the first beta, who are most certainly not developers.

I get that this technically fits within the rules, but you gotta think Apple will not be too happy when they realize that devs are in essence making money off beta releases of iOS.

Mac_Max
Jul 5, 2013, 12:07 PM
Nah Nah don't worry Fan Boy .. I didn't just switch because of Beta iOS.. I was feed up of apple control .. I always loved Android Openness But never liked any phone from Samsung. So HTC One is amazing build with Open OS

Yes... I love all the happy hippy loving freedom that I experience on my LG Android device. It's so free that they lock the bootloader and never release any Android updates past 4.0.4 (on a 10 month old device).

Seriously, get off your high horse. None of these devices are free/open. They won't be until you can switch Operating Systems at will like a PC or Mac.

otismotive77
Jul 5, 2013, 01:23 PM
that's because iOS7 is really awesome, gives us the long awaited features and refreshed UI.

cjmillsnun
Jul 6, 2013, 07:58 AM
Apple didn't screw up, they just don't care. If they wanted to prevent non-devs form installing the beta, they easily could. But they don't.

That's an opinion. The fact is there are some restrictions, but they can be worked around. That is a screw up. Whether it is deliberate or accidental is a matter for conjecture.

ValSalva
Jul 6, 2013, 08:18 AM
I would think that as iOS devices become more popular the rate of developers to users would drop. Of course there will be a greater number of developers but the number of users will outstrip developers. The rate would drop even as the absolute number goes up.

I also think these numbers represent non-developers getting and installing iOS 7 'illegally'. How can you blame them. Apple has iOS 7 plastered all over the front page of its web site.

Also over time developers now have more extra devices to dedicate to the new OS. And they have to because the change is so extreme.

xenotek
Jul 7, 2013, 02:00 PM
Looks great but has been giving me major problems.
iOS 7.0.2 running on a factory unlocked iPhone 5 from UK. System has crashed and stalls on device initiation. Apple logo appears but spinner does not move. After a few minutes continually restarts. The device is recognized in iTunes but cannot sync. Restore iPhone option says that Find My iPhone must be turned off from the iPhone (which will not fully load). Within iCloud, the device is not listed as one of my devices. Unsure how to unbrick. Not happy.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jul 8, 2013, 01:28 AM
I know plenty of people with ios 7, just cause its "cool". They're a lot of people on Craigslist charging to put 7 on people's phones

Ries
Jul 8, 2013, 09:32 AM
That's an opinion. The fact is there are some restrictions, but they can be worked around. That is a screw up. Whether it is deliberate or accidental is a matter for conjecture.

It is not a screw up, we also add license keys to our software, but it can be hacked in 2 minutes by anyone knowing their stuff. It is not to protect the software, it is to show the courts, that it was a malicious action and not just a mistake when they "illegally" copied/used the software.