Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Well it seems ubisoft have been hacked.

I'm not too peeved about the hacking itself - these things happen as we know, but I find it quite amazing that I can't go to ubisoft's website and change my password! :confused:

I received an email from "email_ubi@email.ubi.com" with a link to change my password, however obviously decided it was not the best idea to enter my details on a site from an email link. I then went to ubi.com (which itself looks like a thinly veiled phishing site to my eyes - it doesn't even have a favicon) and was presented with a dubious looking link to change my password. Clicking on this link only served to get me another email (this time from "accountsupport@ubi.com") with another link to change my password.

At this point I'm not really sure I want to use either of these links, and I find it quite laughable how rubbish ubisoft's site is!

/rant

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
It's probably the most secure method they have if they've truly lost passwords. If the reset was done on the website, then it would simply use your existing (stolen) password for authentication - so the people who stole the passwords can do it.

By emailing the account holder to enable the process, it adds an extra step, and hopefully means the real account holder only gets that email. Oh, and the NSA.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It's probably the most secure method they have if they've truly lost passwords. If the reset was done on the website, then it would simply use your existing (stolen) password for authentication - so the people who stole the passwords can do it.

By emailing the account holder to enable the process, it adds an extra step, and hopefully means the real account holder only gets that email. Oh, and the NSA.

I imagine the NSA is here too, careful now, careful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.