Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delsondelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
After using PC & Linux for years, I finally decided to give Mac a shot. I have always criticized Apple products for their price and low spec...but figured I'd give one a fair shake.

I decided I needed a better laptop. I already have a custom built desktop PC that runs Windows & Linux (I use Linux almost exclusively) that suits my needs fine for work horse tasks. I currently own a big Thinkpad (w/ Windows) that is well built, but very bulky/heavy. The screen (1366x768, Matte) is pretty bad.

I figured the Air would be the best choice. I got one with the standard CPU and SSD configuration (13"), but upgraded the RAM to 8gb. I like the fact that the SSD is superb (running on PCIx bus and getting read speeds above 700mb/s) & the battery life is excellent.

So the end result is a laptop that is very thin, over 2.5lbs lighter, etc. My laptop usage needs are pretty minimal. I don't really use games on the laptop, and stick to basic work/productivity/web browsing tasks. I have a little experience with OSX....I have used an iMac a couple of times in the past several years. However, I feel that I haven't given it a fair shake. I figure since Apple makes good hardware, if I can work with OSX this will be a good solution.

Are there any good tips from anyone who was in a similar situation? I'd be especially interested in tips on OS related issues, as that will be the first obstacle to overcome.

Last edited:

tehsprayer

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
I'm exactly on the same boat! I have always used Windows and have a custom built pc. I also criticized Apple for being overpriced and not as good as windows but their prices dropped and beats all of the other laptops out there.

Looking to hear some responses as I am a first time mac user, MBA being shipped right now.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm exactly on the same boat! I have always used Windows and have a custom built pc. I also criticized Apple for being overpriced and not as good as windows but their prices dropped and beats all of the other laptops out there.

Looking to hear some responses as I am a first time mac user, MBA being shipped right now.

After using PC & Linux for years, I finally decided to give Mac a shot. I have always criticized Apple products for their price and low spec...but figured I'd give one a fair shake.

I decided I needed a better laptop. I already have a custom built PC that runs Windows & Linux (I use Linux almost exclusively) that suits my needs fine for work horse tasks. I currently own a big Thinkpad (w/ Windows) that is well built, but very bulky/heavy. The screen (1366x768, Matte) is pretty bad.

I figured the Air would be the best choice. I got one with the standard CPU and SSD configuration (13"), but upgraded the RAM to 8gb. I like the fact that the SSD is superb (running on PCIx bus and getting read speeds above 700mb/s) & the battery life is excellent.

So the end result is a laptop that is very thin, over 2.5lbs lighter, etc. My laptop usage needs are pretty minimal. I don't really use games on the laptop, and stick to basic work/productivity/web browsing tasks. I have a little experience with OSX....I have used an iMac a couple of times in the past several years. However, I feel that I haven't given it a fair shake. I figure since Apple makes good hardware, if I can work with OSX this will be a good solution.

Are there any good tips from anyone who was in a similar situation? I'd be especially interested in tips on OS related issues, as that will be the first obstacle to overcome.

There is a thread for new mac users on the forums somewhere I'm unable to link you to it at the moment as I'm using tapatalk on my phone:( I'm sure someone will link you if not I will quote you tomorrow with the link :p

However its a pretty simple OS to learn just when you get your hardware have a play about with it you'll soon get to know where stuff is :)

Sorry about not been able to link you to the thread I'm sure someone will for you though it's called 'new to Mac' or something and I believe it may be a sticky :)

I also have a custom build PC running windows 7 as my main machine but I can't fault my 2011 MBA 13" it's been a really good machine still not even thinking about upgrading neither!

I'm sure you will both have good fun with your new products they are really good and in my opinion the best laptops available although I would never have an apple desktop I like been able to make and customise my own desktop :p

Cheers AMN.

Guy below me has given you the link: have a read through that - thanks to guy below much appreciated!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
First thing I wanted to know, how to image-dup my boot up drive to an external, so if any issue, just reload from external and am back in bushiness in short order. Ended up using cc-copy.

Second thing I wanted is to have the clean OSX on a bootable stick (can be on external USB), so I can restore to clean factory as needed without relying on the Internet. Apple wants you to do everything through the NET but when thing go awry am going to assume my Internet may not be operational.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
First thing I wanted to know, how to image-dup my boot up drive to an external, so if any issue, just reload from external and am back in bushiness in short order. Ended up using cc-copy.

Second thing I wanted is to have the clean OSX on a bootable stick (can be on external USB), so I can restore to clean factory as needed without relying on the Internet. Apple wants you to do everything through the NET but when thing go awry am going to assume my Internet may not be operational.

I'll be honest and say I have no idea for your first paragraph :p

However it is possible to make a USB install drive for your OSX I have created one for mountain lion - you will need a USB stick at least 8GB. Once again there is a thread in the forums somewhere but I can't link you, I'll link you tomorrow when I can! Or just do a search of forum for 'osx bootable USB drive' and it should come up! :)

JootecFromMars

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Earth

Wouldn't Time Machine also do the same? At worst you'd lose 1 hours work. I've replaced an HD a few times. Restoring from Time Machine, it's just as if I've not replaced the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.