PDA

View Full Version : Snuglet Kickstarter Project Aims to Secure Loose MagSafe 2 Cables

MacRumors
Jul 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/snuglet-kickstarter-project-aims-to-secure-loose-magsafe-2-cables/)

Apple's MagSafe 2 power adapter, which was introduced alongside the Retina MacBook Pro in 2012, reincorporates the T-shaped connector design that was previously abandoned (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/08/settlement-reached-in-lawsuit-over-frayed-magsafe-connectors/) for an "L" style MagSafe connector due to issues with the strain that the "T" style connector placed on the power adapter cable.

To combat cable strain with the T-shaped MagSafe 2, Apple designed the connector to pull away from the MacBook when even slight amounts of pressure are applied to the cable, resulting in frequent and unintentional cable disconnections.

The Snuglet, a newly introduced Kickstarter project (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected), aims to keep MagSafe 2 power adapter cables securely fastened to MacBooks by incorporating a small ring that increases the connector's magnetic connection.

Have you ever tried using your new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro in bed, on your lap, or on the go? Even the slightest movement will cause the power cable to disconnect or stop charging.

If you leave anything near the power cable, you'll often find that your Mac isn't charging. This is especially frustrating when leaving on a trip or going to a last-minute meeting, only to find that your battery is empty.The Snuglet is described as a gold-plated "precision manufactured ring" that attaches directly to the MagSafe 2 connector. It does not interfere with the insertion or removal of the power cable, but it does ensure that the cable remains more firmly attached to the MacBook.The Snuglet helps your power connector stay connected when you want it to, but releases when it should. The design still allows you to easily insert and remove the power cable, but simply makes it work better. It really feels perfect. Once you try it, I think you will agree!http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/snugglet.jpg
While the Snuglet is meant to remain attached to a MagSafe 2 connector, it can be removed using a special tool included with the package, which means it is fully reusable. It is also designed to work in conjunction with the MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A/magsafe-to-magsafe-2-converter).

There are a limited number of slots (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected) allowing interested backers to secure a set of Snuglets for $12, with additional price points available at $15 and $19. The product has an estimated ship date of September 2013.

Article Link: Snuglet Kickstarter Project Aims to Secure Loose MagSafe 2 Cables (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/snuglet-kickstarter-project-aims-to-secure-loose-magsafe-2-cables/)

boshii
Jul 2, 2013, 05:39 PM
I was just looking for a solution like this. The connection on my rMBP is pretty weak and is always falling out. The only solution I found wasn't able to be used with the lid closed. This would be perfect.

For what it is, $12 is too much but it's better than the $19 it will eventually be.

EDIT: Just read that it's $12 for a pair which isn't that bad.

WAM2
Jul 2, 2013, 05:39 PM
Interesting, I wonder if this would reintroduce the original problems with the old T-Shaped Magsafe?

Man I hated the T.

The design on the L Magsafe is alot more matching to Apple, I still can't help but wonder why they didnt shrink the L for magsafe 2.

KylePowers
Jul 2, 2013, 05:40 PM
Almost looks as if it's too secure (example being when the person pulls it across the bed). I'd be concerned that the magsafe connector would no longer be doing its job.

Oh, and that price...

NStocks
Jul 2, 2013, 05:42 PM
What would be great, would be for Apple take onboard this annoying aspect of the new connector, work with what Snuglet is, and release a new magsafe 2. Same connector, stronger magnet.

Or just fix it, piss everyone off and make Magsafe 3

hlfway2anywhere
Jul 2, 2013, 05:45 PM
i would buy a single one for maybe $7 including shipping. i have no use for 2 and anything over $9 just breaks a psychologic price barrier for me for a small ring of metal. *shrug*

good luck to them though. i do have these issues and it's nice to see someone trying to fix it. hopefully it doesn't do the magsafe plug a disservice.

hodaka
Jul 2, 2013, 05:52 PM
Interesting how many people can find solutions for problems that don't exist, and band-aids for problems that stem from improper use. I have here a MagSafe 1 adaptor from the original MacBook Pro that has never had a problem - I just make sure that anyone using it uses it properly. Problem solved. It gets used almost every day, connected/disconnected several times a day by many different people over the years.
I also have a MagSafe 2 equipped 13" Retina. I have never noticed a propensity to disconnect unexpectedly. If I'm putting force on it, I expect it to disconnect - adjust workflow/workspace appropriately.

coder12
Jul 2, 2013, 06:04 PM
I've never actually had the issue of a "loose" connector, even with my MagSafe 2 adapter. I guess I'd rather have my adapter fall out when I bump the cable rather than potentially have my laptop crash on the ground.

Gotta say though, I loved the "infomercial" feel to the KickStarter movie though :p

jabingla2810
Jul 2, 2013, 06:07 PM
Looks like he missed the point of MagSafe. It's supposed to disconnect!!

With this 'snuglet' fitted, your MacBook will be ripped off your table when you trip over a cable.

Also, when using your macbook on your lap, you don't rest the MagSafe on your leg, you rest the laptop on your leg, so that video is complete rubbish.

pullfocus
Jul 2, 2013, 06:09 PM
The first portion of this video, where all those sad Magsafe connectors are coming loose at the slightest hint of movement, just reminds me of the WaxVac commercial where the guy so innocently cleaning his ears and suddenly...OW! IT'S A DEATH TRAP!

All I'm saying is, this has never been a major problem for me and, like inadvertantly and severly puncturing my eardrum with a Q-tip, I was not aware that this was that big of an issue.

harrisondavies
Jul 2, 2013, 06:09 PM
Aww that is too bad. I love the L shaped Mag connector on my 2011 MBP.

I think the T looks hideous.

hootiefan7
Jul 2, 2013, 06:10 PM
First World Problems!!! :rolleyes:

Prodo123
Jul 2, 2013, 06:37 PM
Aww that is too bad. I love the L shaped Mag connector on my 2011 MBP.

I think the T looks hideous.

Then you can use the Magsafe 2 adaptor with the L-shaped chargers!

Also, this product is dangerous. It has the possibility of getting stuck in the power port and causing havoc, not to mention a choking hazard. Also has the possibility of generating sparks upon disconnecting.

Treq
Jul 2, 2013, 06:38 PM
I've owned three t-shaped connectors, and one L-shaped one. The only one that had a problem with cable strain was the L-shaped one. It was also harder to get attached. The old t-shaped ones were the best. The L-shaped ones never worked well for me as the cable goes back instead of off the the left. When it goes back at 90deg from the port it is very easy to come loose or bend in an odd direction.

boshii
Jul 2, 2013, 06:39 PM
Also, this product is dangerous. It has the possibility of getting stuck in the power port and causing havoc, not to mention a choking hazard. Also has the possibility of generating sparks upon disconnecting.

Lol. Did you get all that from the video?

I wouldn't call the product getting stuck in the port "causing havoc"' especially when they supply a tool to remove it.

Shrink
Jul 2, 2013, 06:41 PM
I have an L connector on my 2011 MBP...and I really like that it goes back instead of sideways.

The thingy advertised looks to me like it makes too tight a connection, defeating the purpose of the breakaway MagSafe.

Krevnik
Jul 2, 2013, 06:45 PM

Getting stuck in the power port can be a problem, but I'm not sure exactly what would cause sparks here. The outer shell doesn't carry any current, so it isn't going to be an electrical spark.

That said, they are plating it in gold, which I think is a worthless idea since they already went with stainless steel and aluminum... and again there's no current in the shell this comes in contact with for the gold to "help" conduct. They are better off just manufacturing it exactly like the prototypes.

boshii
Jul 2, 2013, 06:46 PM
The thingy advertised looks to me like it makes too tight a connection, defeating the purpose of the breakaway MagSafe.

What's funny is in all my years using MacBooks, I've never been in a situation where I could say "thank goodness MagSafe saved my Mac".

I like it more for the ability to easily attach to my Mac for charging. I find the detachability to be an annoyance.

Krevnik
Jul 2, 2013, 06:49 PM
What's funny is in all my years using MacBooks, I've never been in a situation where I could say "thank goodness MagSafe saved my Mac".

I like it more for the ability to easily attach to my Mac for charging. I find the detachability to be an annoyance.

I've seen folks where it has. And I have killed one Mac because of the power adapter. It was an old Lombard G3 Powerbook.

When these things have internal batteries, I'd gladly trade the annoyance of having to replug so I don't have to deal with the frustration of a damaged laptop.

boshii
Jul 2, 2013, 06:49 PM

Please share your Third World Problems with us. :rolleyes:

Prodo123
Jul 2, 2013, 06:50 PM
Lol. Did you get all that from the video?

I wouldn't call the product getting stuck in the port "causing havoc"' especially when they supply a tool to remove it.

Do you really want to carry around a tool with you at all times to remove this darned thing?
How about permanent damage? What if it's too tight and it carves away at the laptop's power jack?

Getting stuck in the power port can be a problem, but I'm not sure exactly what would cause sparks here. The outer shell doesn't carry any current, so it isn't going to be an electrical spark.

That said, they are plating it in gold, which I think is a worthless idea since they already went with stainless steel and aluminum... and again there's no current in the shell this comes in contact with for the gold to "help" conduct. They are better off just manufacturing it exactly like the prototypes.

It would be between the Magsafe 2 connector and the Snuglet. Not an electrical spark but rather like a flint. More metallic parts means more friction means a higher chance of sparks.

Shrink
Jul 2, 2013, 06:50 PM

Since I define the word "klutz", I have kicked the MagSafe connector out on 3 or 4 occasions, and was very happy that it just broke away as it should. I could easily have damaged the cable connector or worse, damaged the power connector in the computer.

...built for the clumsy ....:D

Krevnik
Jul 2, 2013, 06:54 PM
It would be between the Magsafe 2 connector and the Snuglet. Not an electrical spark but rather like a flint. More metallic parts means more friction means a higher chance of sparks.

Aluminum, Stainless Steel and even Gold will not produce a spark risk if machined correctly. Consider that we've been using similar materials for ports like this that do come in contact every time you plug/unplug. Your headphones, USB cables, and so on.

This is a solved problem.

Prodo123
Jul 2, 2013, 06:58 PM
Aluminum, Stainless Steel and even Gold will not produce a spark risk if machined correctly. Consider that we've been using similar materials for ports like this that do come in contact every time you plug/unplug. Your headphones, USB cables, and so on.

This is a solved problem.

I work with magnets. Once the coating wears off or chips off, the raw material (often neodymium in my case) can easily spark. Same here; if the gold plating wears away, whatever is underneath can spark easily, no matter how well-machined it is.

technopimp
Jul 2, 2013, 07:02 PM
Have you ever tried using your new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro in bed, on your lap, or on the go? Even the slightest movement will cause the power cable to disconnect or stop charging.

Actually, no I've never had that happen. MagSafe has IMO just the right amount of "grab vs give".

I'm sorry, but it seems like most of these Apple-related kick starter projects are solutions in search of problems.

Swordylove
Jul 2, 2013, 07:26 PM
What would be great, would be for Apple take onboard this annoying aspect of the new connector, work with what Snuglet is, and release a new magsafe 2. Same connector, stronger magnet.

I've owned three t-shaped connectors, and one L-shaped one. The only one that had a problem with cable strain was the L-shaped one. It was also harder to get attached. The old t-shaped ones were the best. The L-shaped ones never worked well for me as the cable goes back instead of off the the left. When it goes back at 90deg from the port it is very easy to come loose or bend in an odd direction.

Hmm I think it would be awesome if Apple could make Magsafe 3 swivel. That would be the best since people use their laptops in all sorts of location and position. Some have the power point located on their left, some at the back, etc. In my situation, I have the power point on my right when I'm using my MacBook at my most preferred location and body positioning - I would've liked the L-shaped one.

Michael Belisle
Jul 2, 2013, 07:32 PM
Interesting how many people can find solutions for problems that don't exist, and band-aids for problems that stem from improper use. ... If I'm putting force on it, I expect it to disconnect - adjust workflow/workspace appropriately.

Actually, no I've never had that happen. MagSafe has IMO just the right amount of "grab vs give".

I'm sorry, but it seems like most of these Apple-related kick starter projects are solutions in search of problems.

Well, if you two haven't personally had this problem, then of course nobody in the world has.

Personally, I can't speak to MagSafe 1. This product is for MagSafe 2, which is the only MagSafe I know. It disconnects all the time. Maybe that's because I treat my 11" MBA like it's a "laptop" rather than a "stationarytop-for-use-on-ideal-work-surfaces-only." I'll make a note that I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Ljohnson72
Jul 2, 2013, 07:40 PM
I would use a product like this; however, their price point is ridiculous and I'm concerned this might make the cable just a bit too difficult to remove when necessary (eg. tripping on wire).

ZipZap
Jul 2, 2013, 07:40 PM
I Backed it...My cats are always knocking the power plug out of my rMBP when its on my desk.

TimeSquareDesi
Jul 2, 2013, 07:42 PM

Agreed. Moreover, bc it's a solution to an apple product, we now have the right to automatically charge you $39.95 for this tiny piece of metal. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

technopimp
Jul 2, 2013, 07:56 PM
Also, they want $20 for international shipping? :eek:

This thing probably weighs less than the envelope you could mail it in.

Wow.

furi0usbee
Jul 2, 2013, 08:17 PM
What junk. These Kickstarter projects are getting a little bit out of hand. You WANT the connector to disconnect... that the entire idea. This is basically so your cable ends up on the floor and not your MacBook.

And $12? These guys need to find a Chinese connection. In China, that's less than a buck in materials AND labor.

Do people really have magnet issues? I've never once had a magnet issue with any Apple products, and I've owned every one of their laptops with magnets.

Oh, can someone make it so my Apple iPad cover won't come off please! I'd really like a product that made the magnet so strong my cover will never get loose. I'm sure Kickstarter will save the day on this one.

brsboarder
Jul 2, 2013, 08:25 PM
definitely don't have a need for this, but somehow several hundred people already do.

paulrbeers
Jul 2, 2013, 08:30 PM

I guess you don't have children! They constantly trip over the most out-of-the-way cords. My Macbook's are about the only thing they haven't sent flying off my coffee table by tripping over the cord because they pop out like they are supposed to.

I wouldn't buy this product at ALL. I'd rather have an easily detached power connector than a broken macbook! Slight irritation due to a power supply that disconnects or $1500 down the drain... No thank you.

----------

I Backed it...My cats are always knocking the power plug out of my rMBP when its on my desk.

So you'd rather have them knock your rMBP off your desk when they catch the power cord?

Yep that makes sense.

Too bad your rMBP doesn't have a battery so that when they accidentally pop the cord out it doesn't die. Oh wait. IT DOES.

reden
Jul 2, 2013, 09:02 PM
So, Magsafe is too lose? They created something to tighten it, and created a new problem, it can be too tight. So, within the same video introduction, they also introduced a tool to remove it and fix their problem? Nice.

JoeyCloverfield
Jul 2, 2013, 09:10 PM

Or solutions to problems only a small percentage of people experience.

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 2, 2013, 09:26 PM
Just here to say I've never had this problem. But best of luck to them.

aristotle
Jul 2, 2013, 09:27 PM
You missed the point of magsafe. :rolleyes: It is supposed to come out when your cats are tripping on the cables.

I have a simple solution for you. Get rid of your cats. You might actually start thinking clearly again once you stop being exposed to toxoplasmosis parasites eating your brain alive.

Without cats, not only would you not have them pulling out your cables but you would regain the ability to understand the purpose of mag safe connectors.

Pets belong outside and if you don't have a yard then you should not have a four legged pet. Keeping animals locked inside an apartment is animal cruelty.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 2, 2013, 09:42 PM
Seriously, how many Kickstarter projects do we need for these adaptors? More than actual people using them.

jjlannoo
Jul 2, 2013, 09:50 PM
You missed the point of magsafe. :rolleyes: It is supposed to come out when your cats are tripping on the cables.

I have a simple solution for you. Get rid of your cats. You might actually start thinking clearly again once you stop being exposed to toxoplasmosis parasites eating your brain alive.

Without cats, not only would you not have them pulling out your cables but you would regain the ability to understand the purpose of mag safe connectors.

Pets belong outside and if you don't have a yard then you should not have a four legged pet. Keeping animals locked inside an apartment is animal cruelty.

Pretty ignorant statements . Read up next time.

Sym0
Jul 2, 2013, 09:54 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/snuglet-kickstarter-project-aims-to-secure-loose-magsafe-2-cables/)

Apple's MagSafe 2 power adapter, which was introduced alongside the Retina MacBook Pro in 2012, reincorporates the T-shaped connector design that was previously abandoned (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/08/settlement-reached-in-lawsuit-over-frayed-magsafe-connectors/) for an "L" style MagSafe connector due to issues with the strain that the "T" style connector placed on the power adapter cable.

The Snuglet, a newly introduced Kickstarter project (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected), aims to keep MagSafe 2 power adapter cables securely fastened to MacBooks by incorporating a small ring that increases the connector's magnetic connection.

Is it just me or does my Magsafe 2 work just fine, with a very strong link.

theBB
Jul 2, 2013, 09:55 PM
Pretty ignorant statements . Read up next time.
In his defense, the real Aristotle was also a judgmental character. :)

rdlink
Jul 2, 2013, 10:13 PM

My ex wife walked by and snagged the cord on my Compaq laptop years ago, and it damaged the power port on the laptop so that it never stayed secure again, and I had to hold it in order to charge. The fix would have been a new MoBo. About $800. The MagSafe is a work of genius. Period.

pgiguere1
Jul 2, 2013, 10:15 PM
After a bad experience I've had involving a 11" MBA with a L-type MagSafe and a dog running around the house, I don't want MagSafe adapters to be more "secure" again. T-type ones are intentionally loose to serve a purpose...

tbrinkma
Jul 2, 2013, 10:33 PM
Please share your Third World Problems with us. :rolleyes:

Well, according to the traditional definition of Third World (Allied with the USA = First World; allied with the Soviet Union = Second World; other = Third World), they encompass the full range of problems.

According to the typical person's understanding of the term, it's more accurately referred to as the undeveloped countries. There, you have problems like: starvation, malnutrition, petty warlords, roving rape gangs, disease, etc.

Hey, you asked...

a0me
Jul 2, 2013, 10:40 PM

With this 'snuglet' fitted, your MacBook will be ripped off your table when you trip over a cable.

Also, when using your macbook on your lap, you don't rest the MagSafe on your leg, you rest the laptop on your leg, so that video is complete rubbish.
The copy for this product should be, "for people who want to use a standard power cord with their MacBook."

john123
Jul 2, 2013, 11:03 PM
For all you people proclaiming this is a "solution in search of a problem" -- did it ever occur to you that (gasp) the fact that you don't have a problem doesn't mean that other people don't? Or that (gasp again) different people use their laptops differently?

I'm not sure on this particular solution, but the problem is very real -- and not one I ever had with all my MagSafe 1 devices. My bed is somewhat elevated. The AC adapter brick sits on the floor. As such, the cord is fairly taut. If I move up vertically -- even a little -- it comes dislodged. The reason is torque. That's the same reason why it feels snug if you take your thumb and press down on the metal part that connects to the laptop.

MagSafe 1 was great and provided a fantastic trade off between safety and functionality. MagSafe 2 drives me insane. I shouldn't have to change my work habits and location because of a piss poor design decision.

wordup60
Jul 2, 2013, 11:11 PM
Interesting, I wonder if this would reintroduce the original problems with the old T-Shaped Magsafe?

Man I hated the T.

The design on the L Magsafe is alot more matching to Apple, I still can't help but wonder why they didnt shrink the L for magsafe 2.

Because the L defeats the purpose of magsafe. Try pulling on the power cord of an L-connected magsafe. It will send your laptop flying. The only connection that ensures a disconnect when force is applied is perpendicular, i.e. the T.

I always thought the L was sacrificing function for sleeker looks and welcomed the return of the T.

srourslaw
Jul 2, 2013, 11:24 PM
WTF :mad:, most of us when lying on bed we used our laptop WITHOUT charger plugged to it, the battery last for 7 to 12 hours now :rolleyes:

Interesting how many people can find solutions for problems that don't exist, and band-aids for problems that stem from improper use. I have here a MagSafe 1 adaptor from the original MacBook Pro that has never had a problem - I just make sure that anyone using it uses it properly. Problem solved. It gets used almost every day, connected/disconnected several times a day by many different people over the years.
I also have a MagSafe 2 equipped 13" Retina. I have never noticed a propensity to disconnect unexpectedly. If I'm putting force on it, I expect it to disconnect - adjust workflow/workspace appropriately.

john123
Jul 2, 2013, 11:35 PM
WTF :mad:, most of us when lying on bed we used our laptop WITHOUT charger plugged to it, the battery last for 7 to 12 hours now :rolleyes:

Who are you to proclaim what "most" people do? Also, that's a really stupid thing to do. Your battery has a limited number of charge cycles. If the bed is your main place of work, you ought to be plugged in.

quietstormSD
Jul 3, 2013, 01:22 AM
I guess it's different strokes for different folks after reading the comments in this thread.

I've owned T-and L-shaped MagSafe power adapters. And in my opinion the L-shaped one is by far superior then the T-shaped ones. It doesn't come off as easily as the T-shaped ones. Also I like that the L-shaped angled at 90 degrees, so it's "hanging off" the mac like the T-shaped ones.

sekh
Jul 3, 2013, 01:23 AM
Can confirm this can be annoying. If you don't believe it, try sitting your laptop in your lap. It's fine if you keep your legs straight and together but if you want to sit cross legged (as I do on a bed) the magsafe will disconnect. You can solve it by holding your mac off to the side or balance it on one leg, but this is not ideal for long-term use.

ryansimmons323
Jul 3, 2013, 02:13 AM
I love it being loose!

My old L-shaped one on my 2010 MacBook Air was falling apart from all the tugging.

My MagSafe 2 adapter on my 2012 MBA is wonderful!! I'll never have that problem!

Tompkinson
Jul 3, 2013, 02:55 AM

I agree, it's actually just silly.
At first he rests the MagSafe on his leg: it obviously disconnects.
After fitting his ring he rests the whole macbook on his leg. The MagSafe - obviously - does not disconnect.

Since introduction of MagSafe I have not had a single problem with "unwanted disconnection" - on multiple macbooks.

ianday
Jul 3, 2013, 03:13 AM
I work with magnets. Once the coating wears off or chips off, the raw material (often neodymium in my case) can easily spark. Same here; if the gold plating wears away, whatever is underneath can spark easily, no matter how well-machined it is.

Who really cares if it sparks? Are you all working next to petrol pumps?

JGRE
Jul 3, 2013, 03:49 AM

Man I hated the T.

Well, the L sucks too, I have my third adapter because the cable keeps breaking directly after the L-connector within a few months (yes it will not unplug like to T-shape but this is also an annoying drawback). Hope they'll invent something to support the cable and even better: a replaceable cable you can plug-in into the adapter, just like the power cord on the other end. Then if the cable breaks you have 10 dollar replacement instead of a 80 dollar replacement and everybody can choose L or T shape connectors to their likes.

ValSalva
Jul 3, 2013, 04:41 AM
I never understood the change from the L-shape back to the T-shape because I thought it was a point of fatigue failure.

MagSafe 2 seems flimsier that MagSafe 1 but I've never had any problems with it. Of course I don't use my MacBooks plugged in on my lap or an uneven surface. Third parties to the rescue ;)

dannys1
Jul 3, 2013, 05:03 AM
Interesting, it seems I'm the only one who likes this! Macbook Air with the 90 degree magsafe was almost perfect (though it did flex and destroy the cable at the connection…again) old Macbook Pro's have been fine with the standard magsafe..

However my retina Macbook Pro is a nightmare. I think the magsafe connecter is too long, it falls out ALL the time for me. Ive never had this issue before - but it happens at least 4-5 times a day for me.

Ive also decided to loop it back on itself, and put velcro around the joint so there is now no pressure on the connector itself so the cable won't break. Makes the above problem worse of course cos the loops sticks out even further - its a trade of for that or a frayed cable in 9 months.

Although I have started treating nearly all Apple cables with Sugru and/or amalgamated rubber tape to improve the durability.

j.applewood
Jul 3, 2013, 07:37 AM
This brings back flashes of when a 6th grader tripped over my Powerbook charging cable and *poof* ... donezo. :(

sclawis300
Jul 3, 2013, 07:43 AM
I was just looking for a solution like this. The connection on my rMBP is pretty weak and is always falling out. The only solution I found wasn't able to be used with the lid closed. This would be perfect.

For what it is, $12 is too much but it's better than the $19 it will eventually be.

EDIT: Just read that it's $12 for a pair which isn't that bad.

i would buy a single one for maybe $7 including shipping. i have no use for 2 and anything over $9 just breaks a psychologic price barrier for me for a small ring of metal. *shrug*

good luck to them though. i do have these issues and it's nice to see someone trying to fix it. hopefully it doesn't do the magsafe plug a disservice.

You guys are forgetting about that pricey removal tool...er, I mean paperclip that comes with it. That has to be worth $3-4.

----------

Infomercial 101: Always you ridiculous examples to make people think there is a real problem.

http://youtu.be/08xQLGWTSag

paulrbeers
Jul 3, 2013, 07:52 AM
For all you people proclaiming this is a "solution in search of a problem" -- did it ever occur to you that (gasp) the fact that you don't have a problem doesn't mean that other people don't? Or that (gasp again) different people use their laptops differently?

Many of us have this problem, but many of us see the fact that we would rather be slightly annoyed by our power cord coming out of our laptop now and again, than risk destroying our 1500+ laptop because of someone clumsily tripping over the cord.

As someone who's had a broken power port on a laptop which is a $500+ fix (on an $800 dell just isn't worth it), I'm more than happy to deal with a few inadventent disconnects. Frankly with a 2.5lb laptop (i.e. MBA) that I own, I want the connection to be as lose as possible because my MagSafe 1 almost took my 2011 MBA withit several times. I like my MagSafe 2 as "lose" as it is.

FiftyOne
Jul 3, 2013, 08:29 AM
There is a solution for Magsafe 2 disconnect on a NY Times write up (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/dont-forget-the-small-ideas-that-make-a-difference/?_r=1) from last week

whooleytoo
Jul 3, 2013, 08:44 AM
Many of us have this problem, but many of us see the fact that we would rather be slightly annoyed by our power cord coming out of our laptop now and again, than risk destroying our 1500+ laptop because of someone clumsily tripping over the cord.

As someone who's had a broken power port on a laptop which is a $500+ fix (on an $800 dell just isn't worth it), I'm more than happy to deal with a few inadventent disconnects. Frankly with a 2.5lb laptop (i.e. MBA) that I own, I want the connection to be as lose as possible because my MagSafe 1 almost took my 2011 MBA withit several times. I like my MagSafe 2 as "lose" as it is.

Fair enough, then it sounds like the product isn't for you. That doesn't really address his point that it does suit some people; and it isn't "a solution in search of a problem".

paulrbeers
Jul 3, 2013, 08:52 AM
Fair enough, then it sounds like the product isn't for you. That doesn't really address his point that it does suit some people; and it isn't "a solution in search of a problem".

But who truly does it suit? Does no one understand the point of the Magsafe? Unless your Macbook sits on a desk and is NEVER plugged in somewhere it can be tripped over, then this product would be fine. In this case though, you wouldn't have the disconnect issue.

The solution to the "problem" is education of why the Magsafe2 acts the way it does. That's the solution. This is not the solution. I can't wait until the first of these go out and we see dozens of people complaining about broken macbooks because their magsafes didn't disconnect.....

sonicrobby
Jul 3, 2013, 08:59 AM
But who truly does it suit? Does no one understand the point of the Magsafe? Unless your Macbook sits on a desk and is NEVER plugged in somewhere it can be tripped over, then this product would be fine. In this case though, you wouldn't have the disconnect issue.

The solution to the "problem" is education of why the Magsafe2 acts the way it does. That's the solution. This is not the solution. I can't wait until the first of these go out and we see dozens of people complaining about broken macbooks because their magsafes didn't disconnect.....

my thoughts exactly

whooleytoo
Jul 3, 2013, 09:02 AM

IF a Magsafe connector disconnects too easily (i.e. if it disconnects with every minor movement of the laptop), it's a genuine problem. Not as bad as a broken laptop, but very, very annoying all the same. At some point, you'd give up and look for a solution like this.

I don't have this problem, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

inlinevolvo
Jul 3, 2013, 09:14 AM
Yet another solution to first world problems...I'm glad someone was able to pull this idea out of the bin

paulrbeers
Jul 3, 2013, 09:17 AM
Yet another solution to first world problems...I'm glad someone was able to pull this idea out of the bin

You're already late in this thread declaring first world problems. Seriously. People need to stop with this. Yes this is a "first world problem". Point was already made. If you are going to make this comment, at least have the decency to look to see if someone has already covered it in the previous three pages (and by the way all you had to do was read to comment 10 to see it was already made).

boshii
Jul 3, 2013, 09:25 AM
It's already been funded with 29 days to go so I would say this is a real problem that alot of people have.

sclawis300
Jul 3, 2013, 09:42 AM
There is a solution for Magsafe 2 disconnect on a NY Times write up (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/dont-forget-the-small-ideas-that-make-a-difference/?_r=1) from last week

This looks to be a much better solution. And cheaper.

Kwill
Jul 3, 2013, 09:47 AM

How many can be fed in underdeveloped nations for the price of a Snuglet?
http://pinterest.com/pin/451697037596954749/

Gnomepatrol
Jul 3, 2013, 10:04 AM
This is a stupid product. The whole point of the magsafe, or any other magnetized power cord, is to come loose when there is force applied to it. This is to protect the device from being pulled off tables, desks, etc. I can only imagine bad things for people that use these.

ZipZap
Jul 3, 2013, 10:09 AM
What junk. These Kickstarter projects are getting a little bit out of hand. You WANT the connector to disconnect... that the entire idea. This is basically so your cable ends up on the floor and not your MacBook.

And $12? These guys need to find a Chinese connection. In China, that's less than a buck in materials AND labor.

Do people really have magnet issues? I've never once had a magnet issue with any Apple products, and I've owned every one of their laptops with magnets.

Oh, can someone make it so my Apple iPad cover won't come off please! I'd really like a product that made the magnet so strong my cover will never get loose. I'm sure Kickstarter will save the day on this one.

If apple put in in a box with their logo it would be $29

----------

It's already been funded with 29 days to go so I would say this is a real problem that alot of people have.

Yep, those who post here are no measure of the true problem.

Rossatron
Jul 3, 2013, 10:10 AM
looks like making up a problem to justify a "solution" :rolleyes:
never had the magsafe2 disengaging over slight pull. it has just the right amount of attachment vs. pulling power ratio.

yes, i do this a lot, never had it falling like the video describes. plus, you can see in the video that he doesn't use the connector like he uses it with his product, making his claims a bit of a lie :|

without snuggle:
http://i44.tinypic.com/5bs80n.png

with snuggle:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2jeqqft.png

edit: I Backed it...My cats are always knocking the power plug out of my rMBP when its on my desk.

well, we'll see what you'll do once they knock your mac off the desk...

boshii
Jul 3, 2013, 10:33 AM
Here's a quote from their funding email:

There has been a bit of confusion about how the Snuglet works and if the MagSafe 2 connector still disconnects. We VERY carefully engineered the Snuglet to still release properly. The Snuglet does NOT work based on friction and will NOT make your power connector any more difficult to insert.

KPOM
Jul 3, 2013, 10:38 AM

I've nearly killed my Windows PCs by tripping over the cords. The same with iPhones and iPads. Too bad Apple couldn't build "MagSafe" into the Lightning port.

Swytch
Jul 3, 2013, 10:53 AM
I dont know whether or not there is a valid problem with MagSafe2, but this video is hilarious, and in no way shows a problem...

First show people placing the connector directly on their leg (or a book) with the computer resting on nothing, so the magnet disconnects. This part seems more like a video promoting the benefits of MagSafe...

Ok, Now we have a solution, The Snuglet! This new connector holds tighter, look you can even pull on the cord and you pull the MacBook with you (as others have pointed out the point of MagSafe is it would come out instead of moving the MacBook). Now show people correctly placing MacBook on lap, look connector stays in (Oh wait it would have without the Snuglet), Is this video actually Apple's Idoits guide to MagSafe Connectors in disguise?

I'd still like to see what would happen to the cord/MacBook with the snuglet attached in the "problems with MagSafe" scenarios in the beginning of the video... cable would be kinked at the very least, which could prevent it from charging (and permanently damage the cable)... Great Solution!

Rageous
Jul 3, 2013, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure how many of you in this thread actually use Apple products with MagSafe 2, but I jumped on this as one of the $12 backers in a heartbeat. I knew as soon as I saw the new adapter on the Retina MBP that it would be problematic. Once I was supplied a 13" Air for work it became pretty clear that the magnetic connection was insufficient for any kind of use other than sitting undisturbed on a desk (it's pretty much unusable on your lap). Nobody's asking for such a tight fit that it doesn't come out - all we want is for it to match the secure nature of the original MagSafe. This whole Kickstarter idea is far from "creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist". On the contrary: I've been annoyed by this ever since I got my Air and grumbled about it quite a bit. We expect a certain level of functional craftsmanship from Apple products, and the MagSafe 2 just seems to have been one where they sacrificed function for form.

rittmeister
Jul 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
Well, according to the traditional definition of Third World (Allied with the USA = First World; allied with the Soviet Union = Second World; other = Third World), they encompass the full range of problems.

According to the typical person's understanding of the term, it's more accurately referred to as the undeveloped countries. There, you have problems like: starvation, malnutrition, petty warlords, roving rape gangs, disease, etc.

Hey, you asked...

You´re sure that the "Allied with the USA" counts as First World? IMO Europe was the First World a long time before the USA even existed

sza
Jul 3, 2013, 11:48 AM
what?? 15 dollars for that little ****ing thing? :eek:

john123
Jul 3, 2013, 11:57 AM

Good grief. How incredibly arrogant of you. Yes, we understand the point of the MagSafe. No, the solution is not education. Is it so hard for you to understand that there are people who use their laptops in very different ways and circumstances than you do, and that as a result, we experience a people you don't?

And for the record, once again I liked the original MagSafe a lot. I busted a Pismo G3 over a decade ago by tripping over its cord. The issue some of us have is the LENGTH of the new MagSafe 2 which results in additional torque being applies on VERTICAL movements.

And why did Apple make a change that led to this a problem? Not because it works better! Instead, it's that whole aesthetic thing around "thinness" led to a design change that was inferior in functionality. Go read David Pogue's NYT article where he refers to MagSafe 2 as "one of Apple's best ideas ever -- made worse." I couldn't agree more. I'll quote him here:

The beauty of the MagSafe connector was that Apple had found precisely the right balance between attachment and detachment. Strong enough to hold the connector in place, weak enough to detach if it gets yanked.

The MagSafe 2 connector fails that balance test. Badly. The magnet is too weak. It’s so weak, it keeps falling out. It falls out if you brush it. It falls out if you tip the laptop slightly. It falls out if you look at it funny. It’s a huge, huge pain.

hodaka
Jul 3, 2013, 12:05 PM
A few more things to keep in mind:
- Apple portable computers are not "laptops" they are "notebooks". (http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html)
- Apple's on-line support docs clearly show how to properly manage your battery. Leaving it plugged in all the time is a no-no. (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)
- Service providers are more than happy to fix the damage caused when you use a product like this that does not allow the Magsafe connector to release properly.

More info here on proper usage: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

Quote: "Do not place your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on"
"For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time."

nickharris1992
Jul 3, 2013, 12:06 PM
the video pries on your emotion as a video asking for money to cure cancer would. kinda comical.

john123
Jul 3, 2013, 12:10 PM
A few more things to keep in mind:
- Apple portable computers are not "laptops" they are "notebooks". (http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html)
- Apple's on-line support docs clearly show how to properly manage your battery. Leaving it plugged in all the time is a no-no. (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)
- Service providers are more than happy to fix the damage caused when you use a product like this that does not allow the Magsafe connector to release properly.

1) Please point to the Apple URL that says we are not supposed to use these machines on our laps, in bed, and so on.
2) Conditioning your battery means occasional discharges. It does not mean frequent discharges. Even these newer built-in batteries are only estimated to have a life of 1,000 charge cycles. AC power should be the dominant way these laptops are used, if you want the battery to last.

griz
Jul 3, 2013, 12:18 PM
In the video they make the claim that it will disconnect when you want it to. I wonder how long before the first lawsuit is filed when it doesn't disconnect and someone's laptop hits the floor.

hodaka
Jul 3, 2013, 12:24 PM
1) Please point to the Apple URL that says we are not supposed to use these machines on our laps, in bed, and so on.
2) Conditioning your battery means occasional discharges. It does not mean frequent discharges. Even these newer built-in batteries are only estimated to have a life of 1,000 charge cycles. AC power should be the dominant way these laptops are used, if you want the battery to last.

Please see my post. All links included.
If you choose to use your devices in a way they were not designed to be used, that is your choice. You are free to do so, but it may end up costing you $$ un repairs. I don't use my iPad as a hammer, although it is certainly heavy enough to pound in a couple nails. Your mileage may vary.

paulrbeers
Jul 3, 2013, 12:46 PM
Good grief. How incredibly arrogant of you. Yes, we understand the point of the MagSafe. No, the solution is not education. Is it so hard for you to understand that there are people who use their laptops in very different ways and circumstances than you do, and that as a result, we experience a people you don't?

And for the record, once again I liked the original MagSafe a lot. I busted a Pismo G3 over a decade ago by tripping over its cord. The issue some of us have is the LENGTH of the new MagSafe 2 which results in additional torque being applies on VERTICAL movements.

And why did Apple make a change that led to this a problem? Not because it works better! Instead, it's that whole aesthetic thing around "thinness" led to a design change that was inferior in functionality. Go read David Pogue's NYT article where he refers to MagSafe 2 as "one of Apple's best ideas ever -- made worse." I couldn't agree more. I'll quote him here:

The beauty of the MagSafe connector was that Apple had found precisely the right balance between attachment and detachment. Strong enough to hold the connector in place, weak enough to detach if it gets yanked.

The MagSafe 2 connector fails that balance test. Badly. The magnet is too weak. It’s so weak, it keeps falling out. It falls out if you brush it. It falls out if you tip the laptop slightly. It falls out if you look at it funny. It’s a huge, huge pain.

Talk to me when you break your Macbook. Then I'll get the last laugh. It isn't arrogance, it's a strong understanding of Murphy's law: if anything bad can happen, it probably will....

It's not arrogance, it's EXPERIENCE. Heck even you had it happen to you! (so maybe it's ignorance on your part?) I've seen it countless times. Again, I would much rather have a weak power connection on a computer that HAS A BATTERY (so it isn't like it will automatically shut down) then have a $1500 laptop shattered/broken on the floor. I've had a broken laptop because of tripping on a cord and I've had friends with this. I have two macbook airs, one 2011 with the magsafe1 and it moves all the time when someone trips over it. My 2013 won't have that problem with the "weaker" magsafe2.

Apple is trying to make their computers lighter and lighter, which means the connection has to be "weaker" because it will take less pulling force to have the computer fly off the desk/table/etc.

Someday we won't need power cords at all, then all of this won't even be an issue. Until then, I want a cord that does pop out with only a couple pounds of pressure because MY MACBOOK AIR WEIGHS LESS THAN 3 POUNDS!

----------

1) Please point to the Apple URL that says we are not supposed to use these machines on our laps, in bed, and so on. .

Ummm Right here yo.....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778#

2) Conditioning your battery means occasional discharges. It does not mean frequent discharges. Even these newer built-in batteries are only estimated to have a life of 1,000 charge cycles. AC power should be the dominant way these laptops are used, if you want the battery to last

Yes but the 1,000 charge cycles are full charge discharge. My 2011 MBA is still sitting with something like 750 "cycles" and I constantly use it off a charger for periods of time and then charge it. In fact, almost EVERY day I pull it off a charge, and use it and then charge it back up again. Sometimes I do this multiple times in a day. It still holds 5+ hours on a charge. It isn't like every time you remove it from a charger and use it for 5 minutes, that that counts as a charge "cycle"..... You know that right?

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

john123
Jul 3, 2013, 01:58 PM
Please see my post. All links included.
If you choose to use your devices in a way they were not designed to be used, that is your choice. You are free to do so, but it may end up costing you $$ un repairs. I don't use my iPad as a hammer, although it is certainly heavy enough to pound in a couple nails. Your mileage may vary.

Wow. You completely missed the point. This stuff is elementary logic and reading comprehension, pal. Your links do NOT support the arguments you were trying to make. Nothing suggests that the use of the word "notebook" mean that it it not designed to be used on laps, in beds, etc. Millions of people use them in precisely that way. It's accepted, common, and intended. The fact that you cannot produce any links suggesting these use cases are not recommended further supports my argument that these are valid use cases.

Some people...

paulrbeers
Jul 3, 2013, 02:03 PM
Wow. You completely missed the point. This stuff is elementary logic and reading comprehension, pal. Your links do NOT support the arguments you were trying to make. Nothing suggests that the use of the word "notebook" mean that it it not designed to be used on laps, in beds, etc. Millions of people use them in precisely that way. It's accepted, common, and intended. The fact that you cannot produce any links suggesting these use cases are not recommended further supports my argument that these are valid use cases.

Some people...

But I did provide said link..... While Accepted, they are not INTENDED. Apple specifically states NOT to use on "soft materials"... I.E Pillows and Bedding.

Some People is right!

john123
Jul 3, 2013, 02:09 PM
Talk to me when you break your Macbook. Then I'll get the last laugh. It isn't arrogance, it's a strong understanding of Murphy's law: if anything bad can happen, it probably will....
1) Murphy's Law is a colloquialism. It isn't a law.
2) I explained that I had busted a PowerBook back in the day. The point of the post is that MagSafe is a great idea, but MagSafe 2 is a flawed implementation. Please read that a few times over until it sinks it. You are completely and utterly missing the entire point.

You claim that your MagSafe 1 "moves all the time when someone trips over it." That seems like a subjective claim, not a rigorously tested one. Per what I wrote the first time, what makes the MagSafe 2 a pain in the butt is the way it deals with VERTICAL pressure. Tripping over the cord tends to apply more HORIZONTAL pressure.

Apple is trying to make their computers lighter and lighter, which means the connection has to be "weaker" because it will take less pulling force to have the computer fly off the desk/table/etc.
An alternative theory is the one I proposed: that thinness won the day as a design criteria, and we have to pay the price accordingly.

Ummm Right here yo.....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778#
Sigh. Reading comprehension FTL. It says, and I quote, "Note: Do not keep you notebook or power adapter in your bed or under your cover as this does not allow adequate airflow." The key part of that keep [it] in your bed. It does NOT say not to use it in bed. Huge difference.

Yes but the 1,000 charge cycles are full charge discharge. My 2011 MBA is still sitting with something like 750 "cycles" and I constantly use it off a charger for periods of time and then charge it. In fact, almost EVERY day I pull it off a charge, and use it and then charge it back up again. Sometimes I do this multiple times in a day. It still holds 5+ hours on a charge. It isn't like every time you remove it from a charger and use it for 5 minutes, that that counts as a charge "cycle"..... You know that right?

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?
I agree with your last part. You should heed your own advice. On the first part, I understand quite well how it works. I have used 300 charge cycles on my less-than-year-old rMBP. CoconutBattery reports an 11% drop in capacity. And that's with me generally using my computer on AC adapter when possible. If you don't use your Mac much, that's great for you. For the rest of us, the advice given by the guy originally to just drain the battery non-stop is exceptionally poor.

----------

But I did provide said link..... While Accepted, they are not INTENDED. Apple specifically states NOT to use on "soft materials"... I.E Pillows and Bedding.

Some People is right!

No. It does not say they are not intended. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ACTUALLY READ THE TEXT. It says not to keep it IN THE bed or UNDER the covers. It doesn't say there is any problem putting it on top of your lap while working in bed. In fact, the last part of the sentence is the specifically relevant part: as the material can block the airflow vents. This is about cooling. Good grief.

Liability law is so relevant in today's world that if this were not an intended use case, the text would be crystal clear to suggest it. It isn't, and that's for good reason. As long as there is ample room for the laptop to discharge heat, it's fine.

Argh.

paulrbeers
Jul 3, 2013, 02:24 PM
1) Murphy's Law is a colloquialism. It isn't a law.

No really?!?! Of course it is a colloquialism. That's what all Adages are, but there is a reason why they come about because they happen enough it is worth noting. *facepalm*

2) I explained that I had busted a PowerBook back in the day. The point of the post is that MagSafe is a great idea, but MagSafe 2 is a flawed implementation. Please read that a few times over until it sinks it. You are completely and utterly missing the entire point..

Nope. I'm really not. I'm stating it is exactly as it is needed for today's hardware. Today's hardware is lighter, therefore the force needed for the magsafe to "break" or "snap" from the computer needs to be lighter. It is how it needs to be. You can't expect a magnet that requires 20lbs of force to separate be used on a 3 lb laptop can you? If it take more force to remove than the weight of the object, the object will just go with it. Magsafe2 is EXACTLY as it NEEDS to be. Since Apple and the rest of the industry is going with Light computers, then the connection between the power cord and the laptop needs to be LIGHT. This is where YOU are missing the point

You claim that your MagSafe 1 "moves all the time when someone trips over it." That seems like a subjective claim, not a rigorously tested one. Per what I wrote the first time, what makes the MagSafe 2 a pain in the butt is the way it deals with VERTICAL pressure. Tripping over the cord tends to apply more HORIZONTAL pressure.

Tripping is only one example of something that can be done to inadvertently pull a power cord. Someone could yank (I have a 2 year old). Thus it needs to be easily "popped" off in all directions.

Sigh. Reading comprehension FTL. It says, and I quote, "Note: Do not keep you notebook or power adapter in your bed or under your cover as this does not allow adequate airflow." The key part of that keep [it] in your bed. It does NOT say not to use it in bed. Huge difference. ]

[/COLOR]

No. It does not say they are not intended. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ACTUALLY READ THE TEXT. It says not to keep it IN THE bed or UNDER the covers. It doesn't say there is any problem putting it on top of your lap while working in bed. In fact, the last part of the sentence is the specifically relevant part: as the material can block the airflow vents. This is about cooling. Good grief.

Liability law is so relevant in today's world that if this were not an intended use case, the text would be crystal clear to suggest it. It isn't, and that's for good reason. As long as there is ample room for the laptop to discharge heat, it's fine.

Argh.

I'm confused about what you don't understand in Apple's own documents....

If you are in bed, you are most likely under the covers which is a soft material:
Do not operate your notebook on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents

If you are using it on your lap:
The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation.

Now Apple doesn't state you CAN'T use it in your lap, but they pretty much imply that it is not INTENDED to be used in your lap. Here's your quote:
Nothing suggests that the use of the word "notebook" mean that it it not designed to be used on laps, in beds, etc. Millions of people use them in precisely that way. It's accepted, common, and intended.

Clearly Apple does not INTEND for you to use it in bed or on your lap or else their direct documentation would recommend you not use it because HEAT DISSIPATION IS EVERYTHING to a computer.

hodaka
Jul 3, 2013, 03:27 PM

Some people...

Evidently you did not actually read the info. It actually spells it out for you. I'm done.

Ploki
Jul 3, 2013, 03:29 PM
Now someone needs to market "Fitlet", a thing that makes a MagSafe work as intended if used with Snuglet.

$$$

john123
Jul 3, 2013, 04:44 PM
Evidently you did not actually read the info. It actually spells it out for you. I'm done.
No, it doesn't. Just because you want to read something in between the lines doesn't mean it's there. If you didn't have an axe to grind, I think you'd realize the whole thing is about cooling, and it's very easy to have a set up in bed that uses neither pillows nor comforters in a way that would compromise cooling. In fact, design changes (i.e., moving the vents) from the TiBook to the AlBook to the rMBP have improved cooling with each iteration and made the surface less of an issue.

However, given that you do have an axe to grind, yeah, I'd say we're both done.

Now Apple doesn't state you CAN'T use it in your lap, but they pretty much imply that it is not INTENDED to be used in your lap. * Here's your quote:
Nothing suggests that the use of the word "notebook" mean that it it not designed to be used on laps, in beds, etc. Millions of people use them in precisely that way. It's accepted, common, and intended.

[QUOTE=paulrbeers;17529704]
Clearly Apple does not INTEND for you to use it in bed or on your lap or else their direct documentation would recommend you not use it because HEAT DISSIPATION IS EVERYTHING to a computer.
No, no, and no. Also: no. Just because you want it to read that way to support your claim doesn't mean it does. When you have to resort to unprovable claims -- that a third party "implies" something -- is when you should know you're on untenable ground.

bossxii
Jul 3, 2013, 04:56 PM

I agree, Kickstarter has just made it too easy for bad idea's to appear in the marketplace. The video showing the MBA sliding off his knee is beyond deliberate exaggeration I thought I was watching a late night infomercial. The use cases are simply not realistic. If I am using my MBA or MBP on my lap.. it's not plugged in, that's why they have a battery. If it's on my desk I move a damn book 3", I don't try to reinvent the magsafe adapter which works very well.

Not that I would waste my money, but I can already see the lawsuit coming when someone trips on the cord and it pulls your MBA off a table because it's too strong. Guess who won't be around to cover those claims... Snuglet.

boshii
Jul 3, 2013, 05:04 PM
No, it doesn't. Just because you want to read something in between the lines doesn't mean it's there.

No reason to argue why this product is needed. The numbers speak for themselves. It's been funded in 2 days.

It's simple, if you don't have a need then don't buy it. I'm not sure why people in this thread feel the need to put down others who do have a need.

Prodo123
Jul 3, 2013, 06:58 PM
Who really cares if it sparks? Are you all working next to petrol pumps?

No I'm working next to electrical contacts and expensive computers that might short from a spark in the terminals.
Also, imagine having to replace your entire logic board from a single power jack failure. I mean, what use is a laptop if you can't give it power?

inscrewtable
Jul 3, 2013, 07:38 PM
I have recently got rid of my 27" iMac and become a rMBP owner for the first time, so this is my first experience of a mag safe adapter and, hand on heart and without wishing to offend anyone I must say that to complain about the ease of detachment is downright delusional or churlish at the very least.

First test I made is trying to pull it straight out, and I find that is near impossible the magnet is that strong.

Next I try pushing straight down on the cable re-enforcer that comes out of the magsafe (I can do this easily as my rMBP is elevated), what I note is first of all it takes a fair bit of pressure simply to get it to push down to the point where it is still attached with power going through it. To push it to the next detente position where it stops feeding power, yet still remains attached and snaps back into place takes even more pressure.

If I give it a sharp downward tap with a fair bit of pressure then it detaches quickly. It doesn't feel like much pressure because of the rapidity of the blow but the slow motion movement above shows that it really does require a decent tap. i.e. dropping a pencil on it won't work.

So to sum up, this magsafe design as it currently is on the latest rMBP is in my opinion about as perfect and solid as any non anal person would expect it to be.

</0.02c>

boshii
Jul 3, 2013, 08:26 PM
So to sum up, this magsafe design as it currently is on the latest rMBP is in my opinion about as perfect and solid as any non anal person would expect it to be.

</0.02c>

It's great that it works for you but there's 700 backers that say otherwise.

Swordylove
Jul 3, 2013, 10:50 PM
Hope they'll invent something to support the cable and even better: a replaceable cable you can plug-in into the adapter, just like the power cord on the other end. Then if the cable breaks you have 10 dollar replacement instead of a 80 dollar replacement and everybody can choose L or T shape connectors to their likes.

Brilliant! I second that! :)

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/swordylove/FuturamaApplause_zps9aec69aa.gif

inscrewtable
Jul 3, 2013, 11:01 PM
It's great that it works for you but there's 700 backers that say otherwise.

I'm just talking simple physics and that's the same for everyone. I had no agenda, indeed I fully expect to discover exactly what people were saying. When I tried to tug it straight out and it wouldn't budge, I was confused, then I tried the other shearing angles as per my post and I was somewhat disappointed to find that it behaved impeccably.

Gravity is the same everywhere, f=ma is the same everywhere, what ever differences or problems people are having are nothing to do with a fault in the design.

I'm not saying that some people are having problems but it's not to do with the design of the magsafe other than it's built in design to detach instead of trashing the machine.

HSc2EjFyHKU

inscrewtable
Jul 3, 2013, 11:47 PM
I just had a look at the video, I get it now, when you have the computer on your lap so that the side with the magsafe adapter is on the verge of falling off your lap because it's halfway done your thigh instead of on your lap, then the magsafe adapter will come out.

BUT with the new snuglet brought to you by UtterlyFrikkenUselessProducts inc. you can then have your laptop on your knee properly and even put your finger under the computer where the magsafe is to make absolutely certain that there is no shearing force at all on the connector, and as if by magic, the magsafe does not fall out. Astounding.

Bottom line is that, hey, if you want to buy a 'snuglet' fine, no problems, but if you want to justify your useless purchase by trying to convince others that there's a problem with the current design, why bother.

If there really was a problem with the design then they would not have to make such a blatantly ludicrous video would they? As the stills from the video prove. It's almost like a Monty Python sketch.

http://s22.postimg.org/yglnk0lf5/mag.jpg

cclloyd
Jul 3, 2013, 11:48 PM

My legs are big enough where both sit on my leg :P

So it does disconnect, but you don't hear me complaining.

JAT
Jul 4, 2013, 12:03 AM
anything over $9 just breaks a psychologic price barrier for me for a small ring of metal. *shrug*

Don't ever plan to get married.

john123
Jul 4, 2013, 01:01 AM
No reason to argue why this product is needed. The numbers speak for themselves. It's been funded in 2 days.

It's simple, if you don't have a need then don't buy it. I'm not sure why people in this thread feel the need to put down others who do have a need.

Thanks for the sane voice of reason. You are absolutely right, and the way you phrased it really brings it back home, doesn't it? Those who want the product will buy it. Those who think it isn't worth the risk won't. People can self-select. That's one of the great advantages of the private marketplace: it expands the choice set beyond that of the original manufacturer.

----------

Don't ever plan to get married.

Spiky? REALLY? Is it really you?

----------

If there really was a problem with the design then they would not have to make such a blatantly ludicrous video would they? As the stills from the video prove. It's almost like a Monty Python sketch.

I agree that it's a bit silly, but I suspect that it's more about what's kosher for marketing than anything. I don't think they wanted to show a dude in his tight whiteys in bed using his laptop. But trust me -- that use case is very compelling.

(In case you're wondering, I wear boxer briefs. :p)

AppleMacNerd
Jul 4, 2013, 05:51 AM
If they made this available in the UK easily they would be able to make much more money that been limited to the US.

Although you can get them shipped from the UK it's an extra $20 so about £14 just shipping + product price which will be quite expensive for a something so little.
Maybe just have one person in the UK stocking them (personal house/warehouse) and when you get an order send it from the UK stocker so the price will be more reasonable.

JAT
Jul 4, 2013, 07:39 AM
I think so. But that depends on whom you think it is.

tmanto02
Jul 4, 2013, 09:09 AM
I cannot believe that this product actually exists.

wingsabre
Jul 4, 2013, 04:31 PM
Some people don't want a power plug that can be removed so easily, some are happy with the Magsafe 2. Everyone has their own preference, and that's okay.

Design-wise, I prefer the design of the L shaped connector as it has a smaller profile.

Overall though, I think Apple have turned out shoddy cables for the past few years. They make good connectors, but the cable itself gets worn out too easily and frays, especially where it inserts into the connector. This especially applies to the 30pin and the lightning power cable. When I had an iPhone4, I went through 3 in a year, when my old iPod cable and Black Belkin continues to last for over 6 years. Now the lightning cables I bought with my iPhone5 and iPad mini are starting to break down. I noticed this change when they switch the materials from ticker rubber to the soft velvety, leather like materials for their cables. I understand the though behind the skeuomorphic design, but function doesn't always follow design.

devilcm3
Jul 4, 2013, 09:34 PM

wouldn't that also means by strengthening the vertical pressure it will also do the same on horizontal pressure.
Its not possible to strengthen one direction without also affecting other direction.

this will cause the magsafe harder to break on the horizontal pressure, resulting in ...

bretm
Jul 4, 2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the sane voice of reason. You are absolutely right, and the way you phrased it really brings it back home, doesn't it? Those who want the product will buy it. Those who think it isn't worth the risk won't. People can self-select. That's one of the great advantages of the private marketplace: it expands the choice set beyond that of the original manufacturer.

----------

----------

I agree that it's a bit silly, but I suspect that it's more about what's kosher for marketing than anything. I don't think they wanted to show a dude in his tight whiteys in bed using his laptop. But trust me -- that use case is very compelling.

(In case you're wondering, I wear boxer briefs. :p)

Not sure we read the same thread or saw the same video. The point was ludicrous because in two scenes with magsafe, he was placing the computer between his legs and pushing the magsafe up. With the snuglet, they placed the computer on top of the legs and ensured there was no force whatsoever on the snuglet.

In any case, if you were to use your computer that way and it didn't break away, the connector would soon wear out on the cable or the computer. Not a good idea to hang your computer by the connector.

Nobody mentioned anything about him not being in his tighty whities. Just you. Your mind went there. Nobody else.

----------

Some people don't want a power plug that can be removed so easily, some are happy with the Magsafe 2. Everyone has their own preference, and that's okay.

Design-wise, I prefer the design of the L shaped connector as it has a smaller profile.

Overall though, I think Apple have turned out shoddy cables for the past few years. They make good connectors, but the cable itself gets worn out too easily and frays, especially where it inserts into the connector. This especially applies to the 30pin and the lightning power cable. When I had an iPhone4, I went through 3 in a year, when my old iPod cable and Black Belkin continues to last for over 6 years. Now the lightning cables I bought with my iPhone5 and iPad mini are starting to break down. I noticed this change when they switch the materials from ticker rubber to the soft velvety, leather like materials for their cables. I understand the though behind the skeuomorphic design, but function doesn't always follow design.

I watch netflix on my iPhone 4 in bed every night. The cable gets bent, slept on, pulled on, etc. After over 2 years the cable is fine.

MaxMike
Jul 4, 2013, 11:19 PM
If only someone came up with a solution to fill the optical drive slot for those of us that have replaced the Superdrive with an Optibay. That would be something I'd contribute to in a heartbeat.

wingsabre
Jul 5, 2013, 01:46 AM
I watch netflix on my iPhone 4 in bed every night. The cable gets bent, slept on, pulled on, etc. After over 2 years the cable is fine.

I had my Belkin and iPod Video (first gen) cables for over 6 years without issue. Used it daily, tugged it, accidentally rolled my chair over it. No problem whatsoever.

My less than 1 year lightning connectors (3 total) are showing significant wear and tear. One is fraying at the tip and the plastic already broke. Another turned yellow, and the third is doing ok. One of my iPhone 4 30pin connector from Apple had the shortest life span of 4 months. If you go to any stores out there other than an Apple Store, you'll see examples of the cable breaking down and fraying where it meets the connector. It's not the entire cable that's an issue, it's where it meets the connector. Maybe you're luck or are being more careful than others, but it doesn't change the fact that the quality of their cable sucks.

Just comparing past connectors and current ones, you could see the drop in quality. The current one uses a softer plastic that has a better feel in the hand. It's more velvety, and is similar to calf's leather. However it's more easily damaged because the plastic is so thin. It's texture picks up more pigment, and oil literally dissolves the plastic. Specifically if you handle the cord while your hands have remnants of Vaseline, lotion, or topical ointments. The older cables were made of thicker plastic. The junction between the cable and connector head had an extra layer of plastic covering to strengthen the cable, and the connector itself has a grasping attachment that locks the cable in while charging/syncing. The older cables were more affordable, and was build to last. Apple traditionally have produced great design that leads to great function, but their aesthetically pleasing power connectors are not very durable. The Anecdote of Steve Jobs and the Apple Store scuff marks applies here.

rGiskard
Jul 5, 2013, 11:41 AM
Then you can use the Magsafe 2 adaptor with the L-shaped chargers!

You're not supposed to put it in your mouth, dude.

Prodo123
Jul 5, 2013, 01:33 PM
You're not supposed to put it in your mouth, dude.

Try telling that to a 3 year old. I thought the age would be axiomatic.
And it wouldn't even be close to a choking hazard for adults anyway. There's pills bigger than this that adults take everyday.

john123
Jul 5, 2013, 03:43 PM
Its not possible to strengthen one direction without also affecting other direction.

Changing the shape actually does this -- which is precisely what happened between the MagSafe 1 and MagSafe 2.

----------

Not sure we read the same thread or saw the same video. The point was ludicrous because in two scenes with magsafe, he was placing the computer between his legs and pushing the magsafe up. With the snuglet, they placed the computer on top of the legs and ensured there was no force whatsoever on the snuglet.
Um, did you even read what I wrote? I acknowledge that particular use case was silly? Apparently not. Review my comment about "marketing."

Nobody mentioned anything about him not being in his tighty whities. Just you. Your mind went there. Nobody else.
Humor seems lost on you. :rolleyes:

----------

Specifically if you handle the cord while your hands have remnants of Vaseline, lotion, or topical ointments.
Oh my. What exactly are you doing with your devices in bed?

IGregory
Jul 5, 2013, 05:37 PM

Gee, strange how some have problems other don't. The fit on my Mid 2012 15" rMBP is perfect. It takes a little effort for me to disconnect it. May be I am not moving mine around enough.

devilcm3
Jul 5, 2013, 08:15 PM
Changing the shape actually does this -- which is precisely what happened between the MagSafe 1 and MagSafe 2.

Yeah, but the snuglet does not alter the magsafe port but rather strengthen the pulling force of the magnet.

ijohn.8.80
Jul 5, 2013, 11:11 PM
Since I define the word "klutz", I have kicked the MagSafe connector out on 3 or 4 occasions, and was very happy that it just broke away as it should. I could easily have damaged the cable connector or worse, damaged the power connector in the computer.

...built for the clumsy ....:D

I don't know how many times I've watched out teenage boys take off at light-speed with their MBP's still attached to their chargers. They all still connect and are not sloppy fits at all. How the cables haven't been ripped from the MasSafe yet is beyond me.

mag01
Jul 6, 2013, 05:48 AM
Well, my MagSafe 2 (11" MBA) disconnects at least 2 times a day. What an annoyance. So I think there's some room for such products until Apple manages to come up with better solution (MagSafe 1 was definitely better for me).

JAT
Jul 6, 2013, 08:55 PM
And it wouldn't even be close to a choking hazard for adults anyway. There's pills bigger than this that adults take everyday.

Laptop cords are not in the under-3 group, and should not be. You still have to be a parent.

inlinevolvo
Jul 7, 2013, 05:59 AM
You're already late in this thread declaring first world problems. Seriously. People need to stop with this. Yes this is a "first world problem". Point was already made. If you are going to make this comment, at least have the decency to look to see if someone has already covered it in the previous three pages (and by the way all you had to do was read to comment 10 to see it was already made).

Thank you internet supervisor. What other internet rules do you have?

paulrbeers
Jul 7, 2013, 06:34 AM
Thank you internet supervisor. What other internet rules do you have?

Well since you asked, here's a good list:

http://forum-services-review.toptenreviews.com/25-forum-posting-etiquette-tips.html

Frankly I don't understand the hostility in your post. You are the one that tried to make a point, but failed to even bother reading through even the first 10 or so comments to verify if it had already been made. Take your beating and move on. That's usually the smart thing to do.

----------

Laptop cords are not in the under-3 group, and should not be. You still have to be a parent.

You apparently do not have children do you?

If you did, you certainly wouldn't tell that to a parent. There are 1000's of things in one's house that aren't in the under 3 category. Children get into all of them no matter how much you childproof/watch/etc. You can't watch them every second of every day.

JAT
Jul 7, 2013, 08:26 PM
You apparently do not have children do you?

If you did, you certainly wouldn't tell that to a parent. There are 1000's of things in one's house that aren't in the under 3 category. Children get into all of them no matter how much you childproof/watch/etc. You can't watch them every second of every day.
Uh, no...your conclusions are completely backwards. I have 3 of them, all are now over 10yo. And yes, you watch them every second until they are old enough to not accidentally kill themselves on common household items. That's the job, it's why parents are so frickin tired. I will absolutely tell parents it is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to watch their own children, anytime. Line 'em up. I just had nearly this same discussion with my friend who is a first-time parent with a ~20 month old. And he agreed with me after being a parent for over a year, they watch their kid constantly.

Deriding a tiny product that MUST be a tiny product because it is not baby-proof is a joke. I guess anyone that thinks that way doesn't need a laptop when they have a baby. People need to make intelligent choices, not blame the mfgr since they didn't print "Don't Feed To Your Baby" on the box of part of an electrical cord.

Macist
Jul 8, 2013, 05:56 AM
Does my Magsafe pop out now and again by accident? Yes.

To I give a toss? No.

Do I like the fact I can accidentally catch the cable and not have my laptop fly off the desk. Yes.

Pointless product of the year.

jmgregory1
Jul 8, 2013, 07:35 AM
This product has a limited life span, especially given the battery/system improvements Apple is making. I've never had any issues with my mba's magsafe 1, although I think it is the better design given the cable runs parallel to the mba instead of perpendicular. Better for not having a propensity to be knocked off by shearing force, that is.

I can only see magsafe disconnects as a problem if your mbp or mba battery is shot and you to be tethered to the magsafe all the time. Once that happens, you're not really using a laptop anyway. Maybe people who think they have this problem should be managing their time better to take into account battery charging when the laptop is on a desk?

The whole point of a laptop is freedom from being tethered to cables/desks, is it not?

h4ck
Jul 8, 2013, 08:19 AM
i manage about 100 macbook pros. of which ~30% are magsafe2. of which 100% of the people complain that the magsafe2 connector pops out extremely easily. myself included. try rocking it up and down slightly and it disconnects. the old one didn't have that problem. practical/real world application? sitting on the couch with my macbook pro on my knees. almost every single time i move/shift at all, the screen dims because the adapter unplugged itself. the original magsafe maintained a much better connection to the computer than magsafe2 does, including medial movement.

just because you might use your computer in a way that it sits stationary on a desk and never moves and never "had a problem" doesn't mean there aren't 100 people behind you that have had problems.

i work at a math and science foundation, these are MDs and PhDs, not idiots that don't know how to use a computer.

you're trying to use the "you're holding it wrong" argument - that didn't work for steve jobs, it's not going to work for you.

Rossatron
Jul 8, 2013, 08:23 AM
but in the video, he IS holding it wrong

rGiskard
Jul 11, 2013, 02:12 PM

Only an idiot would give one of these things to a 3 year old to play with. Once it's on the plug it won't come off without a special tool.

Are you against tiny screws and bolts and washers as well? 3 year olds could swallow them and die. Same with plastic bags. Stoves? Fireplaces? Lawn mowers? Electricity?

You should be way more worried about the electrical socket into which you plug the power adapter.

Prodo123
Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 PM
Only an idiot would give one of these things to a 3 year old to play with. Once it's on the plug it won't come off without a special tool.

Are you against tiny screws and bolts and washers as well? 3 year olds could swallow them and die. Same with plastic bags. Stoves? Fireplaces? Lawn mowers? Electricity?

You should be way more worried about the electrical socket into which you plug the power adapter.

Giving a three-year-old any of those things? Absolutely not, that would be a failure in parenting.
The three-year-old getting his/her hands on those things, on the other hand, you cannot control.
Most parents are against giving their baby a small coin to play with, since obviously the kid will put it in his/her mouth and maybe swallow it. Will that mean the kid absolutely won't get to the coin? No.
It's a choking hazard, not a choking guarantee. They put those labels there for the ifs in life, so the manufacturer is relieved of any responsibility if a child should actually choke on its product.

mrwheet
Jul 13, 2013, 09:52 PM
I've seen folks where it has. And I have killed one Mac because of the power adapter. It was an old Lombard G3 Powerbook.

When these things have internal batteries, I'd gladly trade the annoyance of having to replug so I don't have to deal with the frustration of a damaged laptop.

Yeah, I used to work at a Mac service shop, and we had plenty of pre-MagSafe machines with broken internal power connectors (at the board). Which is just to say that it definitely was a problem. On some machines it was on a daughter card, but not all of them -- if it was soldered right into the logic board, we'd have to deal with some truly unhappy customers (and for good reason, imho).

Personally, I have had a few times where I, or someone else in the room, has tripped over my laptop cable, and it's been no problem at all with the MagSafe connection.

Also, like others here, I've never had a problem with a loose MagSafe 2 connection. The amount of magnetism seems about right, to me.

tbrinkma
Jul 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
You´re sure that the "Allied with the USA" counts as First World? IMO Europe was the First World a long time before the USA even existed

No, back then Europe was called the "Old World". The 'First World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World)' is a cold-war era concept.

profbobo
Sep 30, 2013, 03:22 PM
Got my snuglets today. They work as advertised, though perhaps a little too well? I have to put a little oomph into connecting and disconnecting the magsafe now on my RMBP. I'll see how I live with it for a few days before passing judgment, though.

PadreQuevedo
Oct 7, 2013, 07:25 PM
I bought it and it's awesome.

It works flawlessly.

dastinger
Oct 8, 2013, 08:07 PM
Is there anywhere we can get this if we didn't donate to the Kickstarter project?

cruftydog
Nov 21, 2013, 10:47 AM
Is there anywhere we can get this if we didn't donate to the Kickstarter project?

Yes, I ordered one from their website directly a few weeks ago:
http://www.snuglet.com/

Got it a few days later, works exactly as advertised.

dastinger
Nov 21, 2013, 10:47 PM
Yes, I ordered one from their website directly a few weeks ago:
http://www.snuglet.com/

Got it a few days later, works exactly as advertised.
Thanks!

blueroom
Dec 4, 2013, 12:51 AM
Just got a pair of snuglets today, they work great. Highly recommended.