Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
i was just curious i have the pro beats by dre from monster but i wonder if anyone has the non monster version and curious to know besides the monster logos and in line mic and remote wire... if the headphones sound better have more or less base then the monster version of the pros? thanks in advance.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Out of curiosity this weekend I listened to demos on all the expensive headphones on display at Target. There were a couple of Skullcandy models, a few Beats by Dre and a Bose model. The $150 Bose headset sounded the best to me. None of the demo tracks really helped show off any bass, but none of them seemed to be very different.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Out of curiosity this weekend I listened to demos on all the expensive headphones on display at Target. There were a couple of Skullcandy models, a few Beats by Dre and a Bose model. The $150 Bose headset sounded the best to me. None of the demo tracks really helped show off any bass, but none of them seemed to be very different.

i was just curious i have the pro beats by dre from monster but i wonder if anyone has the non monster version and curious to know besides the monster logos and in line mic and remote wire... if the headphones sound better have more or less base then the monster version of the pros? thanks in advance.
They are all awful. Too much bass, horrible mids and highs. Good quality 'phones don't sound this bad. /thread

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Man is THAT a contradiction of terms. You are shopping in the wrong store if you are looking for decent headphones.

I wasn't looking to buy any headphones. I mean I was browsing, but not really seriously looking. I'm still upset that the $50 Sony noise-canceling headphones I bought a couple of years ago broke because they're made of cheap plastic at the joints where the ear covers actually swivel. They weren't too bad. I mean they were nothing great, but they canceled out noise better. Perfect for using while mowing the lawn.

I don't get the hatred for Target in this realm. They had the Beats by Dre, Skullcandy, Bose and a few other brands that I don't hear talked about as much when people talk about "good" headphones. I'd like to compare those $150 headphones to some I tried at Best Buy for $300 a few years ago that canceled out ALL the noise in the store. So I mean what else is out there? I'm still using my earpods mostly because they're great for stuffing in a bag and getting decent sound out of earbud-style headphones.

I'm all for recommendations. What I really want is Bluetooth headphones with a built-in mic, the play/pause/skip button like the earpods, and noise canceling. You give me all that for $150, I'm in. Maybe even $200. Maybe.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
I don't get the hatred for Target in this realm. They had the Beats by Dre, Skullcandy, Bose and a few other brands that I don't hear talked about as much when people talk about "good" headphones.

The issue here is - none of those headphones are well respected for sound quality. They are more about fashion than sound - and it shows, as their sound quality is generally awful.

Please look into headphone manufacturers such as Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, or BeyerDynamic. These companies spend more on the science of sound than advertising and style.

Reactions: Cayden

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The issue here is - none of those headphones are well respected for sound quality. They are more about fashion than sound - and it shows, as their sound quality is generally awful.

Please look into headphone manufacturers such as Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, or BeyerDynamic. These companies spend more on the science of sound than advertising and style.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...F8&qid=1373013806&sr=1-13&keywords=headphones

OK, what's your opinion on this set? In the reviews I see something about them being "open" and letting in external noise. Is that what I think it is? Basically you get the sound coming in but less noise is blocked so if a co-worker says something, you can hear him/her? I don't know how I feel about that, but it's good to know that's what the difference between open/close is if I'm right.

Also if that's the case, know of anything exactly like that model that is closed/noise-canceling? Too bad those weren't $50 like one user said they were at the time.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...F8&qid=1373013806&sr=1-13&keywords=headphones

OK, what's your opinion on this set? In the reviews I see something about them being "open" and letting in external noise. Is that what I think it is? Basically you get the sound coming in but less noise is blocked so if a co-worker says something, you can hear him/her? I don't know how I feel about that, but it's good to know that's what the difference between open/close is if I'm right.

Also if that's the case, know of anything exactly like that model that is closed/noise-canceling? Too bad those weren't $50 like one user said they were at the time.

These are the ones that I have. Although I have not used them too much they are comfortable and sound good enough for me. In fact, I didn't know that they had passive sound cancelling until I grabbed the link for you! The Sennheiser site states they have "Up to 32 dB of ambient noise attenuation".

Tim

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The OP might not care about sound quality. In his remarks he seems to be looking for active sound canceling,mechanical strength and a built-in microphone. He may not be looking for HiFi or Studio headphones

It is really hard to recommend anything if the criteria is not how they sound.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
If you look into it, Monster developed Beats by Dre in the first place and were contractually manipulated by interscope on Dre's behalf after spending a fortune on development before receiving any money towards it. You're buying exactly the same product and if you have to have beats headphones, buy ones that fit your budget. I swear by my Sennheiser HD25s. They pick up crud in older music you might not even notice on lesser brands and they're not even particularly high end, just a very high quality, transparent set of headphones.

Hdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2016

I just purchased the new Beats Pro Headphones at my local Apple Store, and I have to tell you, the old Beats Pro Headphones from Monster that i own sound much better. The new Beats Pros sound boxy and the bottom is not as clean.

Yes, The Beats Pros have a lot of Bass, but that's why I purchased them. Unfortunately my old Beats by Monster have a lot of wear and tear on them, so I decided to upgrade to a new pair... I wish The Apple Store had a demo pair that I could have listened to, because these new ones don't even compare.

I will most definitely be returning the 2016 editions and I shall search for some new headphones to travel with.

Just my 2 cents as I was shocked to hear such a difference. Too bad because those old headphones sure do sound big!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.