PDA

View Full Version : Current Macbook Air problems?

MacAttackMark
Jul 3, 2013, 02:25 AM
So I'm trying to weigh down the pros and cons for an air and the retina.
So out of curiosity, what are current problems the 2013 is facing? A very common one I've seen is the wifi problems anything else?

twombles62
Jul 3, 2013, 02:32 AM
I have none, and so do most of the people around here.

fedecape
Jul 3, 2013, 02:51 AM
i have none, and so do most of the people around here.

+1

MacAttackMark
Jul 3, 2013, 02:52 AM
That's great to hear, and a nice added assurance! :D

mj1108
Jul 3, 2013, 02:53 AM

+1

+2

iterva
Jul 3, 2013, 02:55 AM

+1

+2

+3

maxosx
Jul 3, 2013, 03:02 AM
My first one had the well documented, Apple acknowledged defective Wi-Fi.

They replaced it after a couple of weeks and the new one is OK.

Chatran
Jul 3, 2013, 03:09 AM
So far, from all the messages

1. wifi
2. corrupted screen (ram?)
3. screen goes blank
4. photoshop flickering
5. speaker volume fluctuation

MacAttackMark
Jul 3, 2013, 03:21 AM

1. wifi
3. screen goes blank
4. photoshop flickering

thanks for letting me know!

larry918
Jul 3, 2013, 03:39 AM

1. wifi
3. screen goes blank
4. photoshop flickering

And then there's bad luck Brian, who undoubtedly has all of the above + 1 :D

teffers
Jul 3, 2013, 04:04 AM
First one was returned due to the 'normal' back-light grey gradient on the very bottom of the screen (turns out they all have them).

My second one has developed a creaky hinge (my OSD starts up lol)

Apart from that it's been a great solid little machine.

ValSalva
Jul 3, 2013, 05:10 AM
[QUOTE=teffers;17527433]First one was returned due to the 'normal' back-light grey gradient on the very bottom of the screen (turns out they all have them)./QUOTE]

Yes! Especially the 11" model. A colleague of mine bought an 11" MBA last week and had to return it because the backlighting was badly uneven in both lower corners and there were brighter circular spots along the bottom quarter. Much worse than mine :eek:

sjalv
Jul 3, 2013, 05:22 AM
Well, I have a few problems, but then again these are my personal gripes. Others may not have a problem with the first three. I've been using my MBA 13 i7/8gb/256gb for a week now.

1. Display: I'm not used to the retina display, so I'm not missing that. That being said, the screen is somehow too soft/blurry for me. Maybe it's just that my age is showing and my eyes are not in top notch condition anymore, but writing and reading on MBA for long periods of time is clearly straining my eyes, unlike i.e. my Asus laptop running Ubuntu. I have the LG panel, and have calibrated the screen, didn't really help. Also the ever changing viewing angles are frustrating. Turn your head a bit, and you have to adjust the screen (or the laptop) especially when working on a dark background (I prefer to do my coding and other writing on black/dark background to reduce the eyestrain).

2. Battery life: I don't think I have a faulty unit or anything, but the battery life was bit of a let down. Yes, I get the promised 9 - 12 hours of battery life, but only if I don't do anything else but use lightweight text editors and surf with Safari on pages that don't have flash. Anything more taxing will start draining the battery pretty fast. Again, I get that this machine is meant mainly for light work on the go, but after all the hype it's still a tad underwhelming to get 3 - 5 hours of battery life while i.e. coding (Java + iOS). Don't get me wrong, it's still a decent amount of time, but yes, I expected more. Then again, given how much eyestrain I get from working on code/text on this machine for a long periods of time, then maybe it's a good thing the battery dies before my eyes do.

3. Heat: In this department I do wonder if I did get a faulty unit. When I got this machine I installed a few programs, heaviest being Xcode. I had my machine plugged in when installing/extracting programs, and when I installed Xcode the area near the hinge was almost too hot to touch. The same thing happens when playing games or compiling Java/iOS code. As for games Civ V runs surprisingly well (at least on my standards) on this machine, but it will generate a huge amount of heat on the upper left corner of the keyboard and the hinge area. It's almost scary. So, when the MBA is not under heavy stress it's cool as a cucumber, but introduce more stress and you have to mind your fingers.

4. Thunderbolt port/connecting an external monitor: I have two years old HP monitor, native resolution is 1920 * 1200. I can't get the monitor to work with the MBA. The first time I connected it the monitor showed the desktop briefly but then went black, and after that connecting it to the MBA has done nothing. The monitor don't seem to be receiving a signal from the MBA as it always shows all ports as inactive when connected to the MBA, so I'm wondering if the Thunderbolt port fried the first time I tried to connect it. I've tried connecting it using the Thunderbolt - DVI adapter and Thunderbolt - display port adapter, no dice (the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port). With Win 7 and linux the monitor works just fine.

So yeah. I have mixed feelings about this laptop, and I am considering returning it. I may have a faulty unit (at least the Thunderbolt port seems to be dead), but I'm not sure if I'm willing to try another MBA because of the other issues (mainly the display). Then again, the form factor and weight are a big plus, and the battery life and the overall performance are decent enough while doing more demanding stuff. So I'm still undecided.

Chatran
Jul 3, 2013, 05:37 AM
[QUOTE=teffers;17527433]First one was returned due to the 'normal' back-light grey gradient on the very bottom of the screen (turns out they all have them)./QUOTE]

Yes! Especially the 11" model. A colleague of mine bought an 11" MBA last week and had to return it because the backlighting was badly uneven in both lower corners and there were brighter circular spots along the bottom quarter. Much worse than mine :eek:

Speaking about light bleed, in an apple retail store, the 11 inch model got this light bleed problem (bottom middle, like a 180 degree arc) but not in 13 inch model. The guy told me that one was faulty coz many people
brutally tested it in show room. So bad i forgot to check which panel it was (the colour seems quite vivid).

TC25
Jul 3, 2013, 06:12 AM
A very common one I've seen is the wifi problems anything else?

No, it's not common.

katcakess
Jul 3, 2013, 08:20 AM
I've been using my MBA for a few days now. I had the wi-fi problem once during my first restart. I'm not bothered by it since it was my first reboot and it never happened again.

Twice, I saw one horizontal line in the middle of my screen that disappeared after about five seconds. I don't know if I should be bothered by it. A part of me thinks that it's all my imagination and my mind is making up things given that there are several people encountering screen problems. I'm still observing my screen and if it happens again, then I will most likely ask for a replacement (even if that means no laptop for a week!).

Jefe's MacAir
Jul 4, 2013, 12:45 PM
My first one wouldn't charge. Exchanged it for another and no problems what so ever.

I really love these computers. All my PC woes have become distant memories. Almost long enough that I've thought about going PC again. Then I remember why I switched in the first place and I have yet to be disappointed since the switch.

The only reason I considered another PC was the new size and form factor that has basically copied the Air. Then I see the price. More than an Air! WTF! I thought Apple products were more than PCs? Not when the PC is built to the same standard as the Apple. Then it's a bit more. So much for that myth. :apple:

Stealth777
Jul 4, 2013, 04:49 PM
3. Heat: In this department I do wonder if I did get a faulty unit. When I got this machine I installed a few programs, heaviest being Xcode. I had my machine plugged in when installing/extracting programs, and when I installed Xcode the area near the hinge was almost too hot to touch. The same thing happens when playing games or compiling Java/iOS code. As for games Civ V runs surprisingly well (at least on my standards) on this machine, but it will generate a huge amount of heat on the upper left corner of the keyboard and the hinge area. It's almost scary. So, when the MBA is not under heavy stress it's cool as a cucumber, but introduce more stress and you have to mind your fingers.

Same experience as you. Surfing web, streaming vides, email etc super cool and quiet machine. Start running Call of Duty and within 3-4 minutes upper left hand area is crazy hot, fans blasting and loud. I'm trying to decide between keeping the 2013 Air or a 2012 13" retina. Still can't decide. There is something about the Air I love, the form factor, battery life how cool it is normally, but when pushed the retina seems to run more smoothly overall. Since the retina is a refurb it's actually a little cheaper than the Air (both 8g, 256g configs).

The retina stays cooler in COD by the way..not sure why. I've also had 2 2013 Airs and both have the photoshop screen flicker problem and the volume fluctuation problem.

So far, no weird issues like that on the retina EXCEPT it has the image retention issue when I run the test. It's not been noticeable in day to day use at all though.

johnjey
Jul 5, 2013, 09:06 AM
Same experience as you. Surfing web, streaming vides, email etc super cool and quiet machine. Start running Call of Duty and within 3-4 minutes upper left hand area is crazy hot, fans blasting and loud. I'm trying to decide between keeping the 2013 Air or a 2012 13" retina. Still can't decide. There is something about the Air I love, the form factor, battery life how cool it is normally, but when pushed the retina seems to run more smoothly overall. Since the retina is a refurb it's actually a little cheaper than the Air (both 8g, 256g configs).

The retina stays cooler in COD by the way..not sure why. I've also had 2 2013 Airs and both have the photoshop screen flicker problem and the volume fluctuation problem.

So far, no weird issues like that on the retina EXCEPT it has the image retention issue when I run the test. It's not been noticeable in day to day use at all though.

I fail to understand one simple thing: why you boys want to use a machine like an AIR for GAMING ? Get an Xbox one or PS4 lol...or if you are a retina - pixel freak, 15 inch retina pro is your best bet as it has QUAD CORE !!!

daviddth
Jul 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
No problems here with mine. WiFi is rock solid, but I did have to update Photoshop CS5 to get rid of the flickering screen issue.

Very happy with the purchase

sjalv
Jul 8, 2013, 10:40 AM
I fail to understand one simple thing: why you boys want to use a machine like an AIR for GAMING ? Get an Xbox one or PS4 lol...or if you are a retina - pixel freak, 15 inch retina pro is your best bet as it has QUAD CORE !!!
Why wouldn't I use it for gaming (or any other stuff that's heavy on the computer) if it can run that kind of software? I don't buy computers to use them with silk gloves. Personally I've never understood that kind of mentality. "Don't push it to the limits, it's wrong and it might break!" Well if it does, then it's poor engineering. And yes, having to mind your fingers because you use software that requires more processing power - especially when the said machine can and in fact does produce that kind of power - is poor engineering.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm sure the PS 4 will look good next to my 8 core gaming pc, PS3 and Xbox 360.

johnjey
Jul 8, 2013, 10:45 PM
Why wouldn't I use it for gaming (or any other stuff that's heavy on the computer) if it can run that kind of software? I don't buy computers to use them with silk gloves. Personally I've never understood that kind of mentality. "Don't push it to the limits, it's wrong and it might break!" Well if it does, then it's poor engineering. And yes, having to mind your fingers because you use software that requires more processing power - especially when the said machine can and in fact does produce that kind of power - is poor engineering.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm sure the PS 4 will look good next to my 8 core gaming pc, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Lmao, nice try on the show-off for those gaming boxes you got in there and the so-called GIANT 8 core = piece of **** soon as world is moving towards portability and not **** bricks of steel

Ray J
Jul 8, 2013, 10:51 PM
I've had my screen go blank several times. It's disconcerting. You'll wake it up from sleep, type in your password, start working, and then 10 seconds later it'll go to sleep again.

mj1108
Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 PM
I've had my screen go blank several times. It's disconcerting. You'll wake it up from sleep, type in your password, start working, and then 10 seconds later it'll go to sleep again.

I've had that happen a couple times. I turn it back on and then it's fine.

ok.Eric
Jul 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
First one was returned due to the 'normal' back-light grey gradient on the very bottom of the screen (turns out they all have them).

My second one has developed a creaky hinge (my OSD starts up lol)

Apart from that it's been a great solid little machine.

I think I'm going to return mine due to the gradient issue, it's just too irritating to me for something that costs over a grand.

I'll probably send it back and wait for the refreshed MBP to come out and probably go that route. It's a shame, if it weren't for the display issue, it would be perfecto.

Tarrou8
Jul 11, 2013, 05:44 PM
No problems whatsoever thus far. And the wifi issues appear to be quite small in scope. People on this forum tend to be quite nitpicking and OCD by nature. If this was a widespread issue, I guarantee you this section would be exploding.

D!ma
Jul 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
- speaker volume fluctuation
- going back to sleep right after wake up (happened only once or twice)
- had wifi issue with an older router, no problems after upgrade to new airport

SteveJobs2.0
Jul 11, 2013, 08:47 PM
Ooops

Suraj R.
Jul 11, 2013, 11:39 PM
+3

+ infinity.

happyhippo1337
Jul 12, 2013, 02:48 AM
- speaker volume fluctuation
- going back to sleep right after wake up (happened only once or twice)

exact same problems here.

majkom
Jul 12, 2013, 03:44 AM
More important than list of problems is, whether they are SW or HW related, so far, it looks like:
- wifi problem - sw related (fix is being prepared and some of those who are testing it says it works)
- screen flickering - sw related (developers with new OS X ML update says, it works)
- sound fluctuating - seems to be sw problem (Boom app solves that, there are rumors it will be fixed by apple soon)
- going back after sleep - dont know, but it seems like sw related?

all in all, seems that all problems are sw related and can be easily fixed... that is quite positive finding, isnt it?:)

Mopar
Jul 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
Bought an 11" Air today and took it straight back for a full refund after three Wifi crashes as soon as I pulled it out of the box and another one after updating my OS.

I've got a couple of other Airs here, so no hurry for a replacement at this stage, but I'm a bit disappointed - I thought this issue had been resolved?

I think I'll wait another month or so until Apple gets its act together.

ZBoater
Jul 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
What wifi issue? :confused:

Mopar
Jul 12, 2013, 10:52 PM
For a guy who posts an awful lot around here, you must be pretty bored to ask that question. What kind of response were you hoping to get?

MacAttackMark
Jul 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
Wow this thread is still going interesting posts everyone!
maybe I just lucked out, but my Air has been doing great so far :)

tom vilsack
Jul 12, 2013, 11:43 PM
With all apple products it's best to wait for Rev B.

majkom
Jul 13, 2013, 12:41 AM
With all apple products it's best to wait for Rev B.

What? Currenr mb air is like rev C or D...

SteveJobs2.0
Jul 13, 2013, 12:58 AM
I think I'm going to return mine due to the gradient issue, it's just too irritating to me for something that costs over a grand.

I'll probably send it back and wait for the refreshed MBP to come out and probably go that route. It's a shame, if it weren't for the display issue, it would be perfecto.

Apart every display has some minor annoyance that I could find. You just notice some things more than others.

Stulys
Jul 13, 2013, 01:55 AM
More important than list of problems is, whether they are SW or HW related, so far, it looks like:
- wifi problem - sw related (fix is being prepared and some of those who are testing it says it works)
- screen flickering - sw related (developers with new OS X ML update says, it works)
- sound fluctuating - seems to be sw problem (Boom app solves that, there are rumors it will be fixed by apple soon)
- going back after sleep - dont know, but it seems like sw related?

all in all, seems that all problems are sw related and can be easily fixed... that is quite positive finding, isnt it?:)

As reaction to the sound issue. Just for your information. I live in Belgium, received my new Air last week en I noticed the sound issue while playing Itunes movies (also bought on iTunes). I called Apple support and they claimed to be unaware of this issues. I have had to redirect them to the forums where this has been discussed. They offered me a replacement unit right after they have seen the forums but since Apple US didn't even inform the "smaller" offices I don't think there will be an solution fast.

majkom
Jul 14, 2013, 11:00 AM
And does your replacement unit have the sound issue or not? Thx.

happyhippo1337
Jul 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
It seems to only occur on certain volume levels for me. And I think it's wide-spread, but not easy to notice.

Serban
Jul 14, 2013, 11:36 AM
so the usb issue that intel has back in the test, is still in the macbook air?

InTheMist
Jul 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
I've noted no problems in initial testing except it's not a MacBook Pro. i.e. a little slow, but thrifty and sexy!

TheMythTheMan
Jul 14, 2013, 11:55 AM
I've been using my MBA for a few days now. I had the wi-fi problem once during my first restart. I'm not bothered by it since it was my first reboot and it never happened again.

Twice, I saw one horizontal line in the middle of my screen that disappeared after about five seconds. I don't know if I should be bothered by it. A part of me thinks that it's all my imagination and my mind is making up things given that there are several people encountering screen problems. I'm still observing my screen and if it happens again, then I will most likely ask for a replacement (even if that means no laptop for a week!).

I get the horizontal line every once in awhile when gaming/full screen streaming. Kind of concerned but i dont want to wait for a new one.

Stulys
Jul 17, 2013, 02:03 PM

not received yet, keep you posted

----------

I get the horizontal line every once in awhile when gaming/full screen streaming. Kind of concerned but i dont want to wait for a new one.

You don't, I can keep mine till I receive a new one.

johnjey
Jul 17, 2013, 02:10 PM
This thread seems more like an agony aunt. There will be OBVIOUS MAL-PRODUCTIONS once in a blue moon and otherwise Air does NOT seem to have any hardware issues that i have encountered so far.

The battery life depletes as we play netflix video's and download files :( (but that's omnipresent and applicable to all machines)

Stulys
Jul 18, 2013, 03:22 PM

New unit arrived today, still same issue. Will not return it anymore. Seems clearly a software issue and it's random. In my case only on video playback, not in games/music/...

To be sure, I reinstalled both machines to a naked OSX and downloaded one movie from iTunes. Still same issue, so it's no 3th party software causing this issue.

I have seen post on some US forum the app "Boom" solves the issue, it's 6 euro's but worth it to me to try it out. Will post findings later.

----------

This thread seems more like an agony aunt. There will be OBVIOUS MAL-PRODUCTIONS once in a blue moon and otherwise Air does NOT seem to have any hardware issues that i have encountered so far.

The battery life depletes as we play netflix video's and download files :( (but that's omnipresent and applicable to all machines)

Sharing experience in a honest way based on facts is no agony haunt. That's why a forum is for.

Blue moons is for the smurfs btw ;)

majkom
Jul 18, 2013, 03:53 PM
New unit arrived today, still same issue. Will not return it anymore. Seems clearly a software issue and it's random. In my case only on video playback, not in games/music/...

To be sure, I reinstalled both machines to a naked OSX and downloaded one movie from iTunes. Still same issue, so it's no 3th party software causing this issue.

I have seen post on some US forum the app "Boom" solves the issue, it's 6 euro's but worth it to me to try it out. Will post findings later.

----------

Sharing experience in a honest way based on facts is no agony haunt. That's why a forum is for.

Blue moons is for the smurfs btw ;)

Heh, I just opened my custom i5, 8gigs and 256 - samsung ssd and samsung LCD (happy with this combination) and got only one issue so far - sound - so I hope Boom will solve that and later os x update will fix this annoying issue.. must say, this new air is screamer, so lightning fast, probably best machine Ive ever owned:D

hkim1983
Jul 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
I have the speaker fluctuation problem, but since I have headphones/earbuds on most of the time, it's not a big deal to me. Hopefully a SW issue.

I haven't experienced that sleep issue people are talking about, but I did have that on my cMBP 2012. It's a little weird/annoying, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Stulys
Jul 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ok as promised feedback on the Boom app.

Indeed issue completely solved. Waiting for the official patch then.

blink37x
Jul 20, 2013, 05:02 PM
Ok as promised feedback on the Boom app.

Indeed issue completely solved. Waiting for the official patch then.

You might want to check this (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18/apple-releases-macbook-air-software-update-to-fix-photoshop-screen-flickering-and-wi-fi-connection-issues/) out. The update mentioned is supposed to fix the audio issues.

Stulys
Jul 21, 2013, 03:33 AM
You might want to check this (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18/apple-releases-macbook-air-software-update-to-fix-photoshop-screen-flickering-and-wi-fi-connection-issues/) out. The update mentioned is supposed to fix the audio issues.

Thx but already installed it, didn't change anything for me.

On the other hand I'm quite happy with this boom app. (am not a shareholder or so :) ). It works quite well, audio is quite louder without quality loss, in video anyway. Am not sad to have bought it.

dr34mc4st3r
Jul 21, 2013, 10:02 AM
So I'm trying to weigh down the pros and cons for an air and the retina.
So out of curiosity, what are current problems the 2013 is facing? A very common one I've seen is the wifi problems anything else?

I have a problem. due to the blazing fast ssd, I have no chance to make a drink during booting of mac os x

stockcerts
Jul 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
I have a problem. due to the blazing fast ssd, I have no chance to make a drink during booting of mac os x

I love your problem! :p

I haven't had any problems with my new MacBook Air 11". I received it this past Monday and I couldn't be happier.

ilifecomputer
Jul 21, 2013, 11:15 PM
Mine cant hold on to wifi all the time. Even after the update. Not sure if I will keep it or wait for another fix.

psik
Jul 28, 2013, 06:47 PM
wifi problems everywhere except at the apple store, so i returned it...and now i breath easy as my 2 grands is back in my pocket.