Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
A lot of people flip out over tech when they bring it home, only to watch it collect dust or lost the sheen and hypro glow over time. I figure for most geeks, this time period is about 5 days.

For example, I bought my powerbook about a week ago. And this is the first day, I left it at home when I went to work. I was actually nervous my cat might somehow knock it off the desk onto the tile, or some other silly scenario.

But here is my impression of it, given some serious time to play around.

The heat: She gets really warm during a session of ripping cds to itunes, about half a dozen disks in - I feel like giving it a minute to cool off. Note to self, invest in a desk/lap riser to help dissipate heat. She gets warm but not to injury causing levels. Lets call this two to three cats worth of lap warming.

The screen: Everybody is going nuts now, over how when you stare at the screen you can sometimes see 5% brighter horizontal lines. First off, I cant see all that well. Second, it seems to only be bad in lighter blues. I dont do pastels... so my designs for richer colors seem to work just fine. In fact, I think the whole idea is what made me see the lines, so far no one I have shown it to can see them, and I cant see them anymore either. But its a great screen, I didnt but it for the screen, I bought it for the solid architecture.

The speed: a 1.67 g4 seems to be apt to do most any task, though its not as fast in photoshop as my g5, its no slouch. 1 gig of ram is probably the minimum for avid users, (not the software btw, you geeks), and the 2 gig limit is only held back by a rumor about higher memory configs clashing with the very needful Airport Express.

Design: I can only drool while thinking about this. So far, only Samsung and Panasonic have laptops close to this. Sony is shabby in comparison. Good thing for me and Apple, Samsung doesnt ship to the US and Panasonic is overpriced (well, they charge for the extra ruggedness I'd rather not need).

Price: I paid $100 bucks more for my PB to be configured the way I want out of the box at an Apple Store. The BTO version wouldve been less, because I wouldve killed the modem. But I got it immediately, and didnt have power at home, so I feel it was worth it.

Software: Being a switcher from I think 2002/03, whenver the G5 came out... I knew what I wanted on it and have found that the last few years have been good for mac users as far as the software library is concerned. I dont really dig on the differences between Panther and Tiger all that much, but all the girls seem to go AH when I used Dashboard. But, its just for them, I have a watch and living in florida, its either hot and sticky or hot and wet.

Portability: A lot of people have been on the fence about a 12 inch, trust me, its not that much bigger as far as the tote is concerned. The weight is the big difference, and one person said that their old iBook was heavier than my 15.2 pb. I am sure a scale might say otherwise, but its still very light and solid all things considered.

Comparison: I am a comparison shopper by nature. I was thinking about a Toshiba Tablet PC for about 800 less. But that screen was ghosting left and right and much darker, at 1024 x786 too. I know I got my moneys worth in that comparison. Also on the radar, the new JS series from Sony, right up until I remember about their new DRM, so **** that. And of course, those are PCs... IBM's (Lenovo) offerings are getting better with each release, and their fall 2006 dual cores (hopefully) will retire my Desktop Vaio.

Extras: Autodimming, scrolling trackpad, usb2 on both sides (reduces clutter), firewire 400 and 800 (hard to find on laptops), different performance profile for plugged and unplugged use. And I probably forgot something (preinstalled iLife 05!).

Conclusion: Powerbook is a classic laptop iteration, maybe not statistically the most powerful, but for a seasoned mac user, the most useful.

$

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Very good post.

Your right about speed, Ok so there are faster PC Laptops out there, but none of them run OSX.

And from my own experience my last 12" PB 1.5 (1.25ram) was generally faster in programs like Photoshop than the Dell P4 PC I use for gaming.

Besides which I love my apps like Freeway Pro, and there's nothing like it on the PC.

Glad your enjoing your new PB - now I just wish mine would get here.. :rolleyes:

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
MacRumorUser said:
Very good post.

Your right about speed, Ok so there are faster PC Laptops out there, but none of them run OSX.

And from my own experience my last 12" PB 1.5 (1.25ram) was generally faster in programs like Photoshop than the Dell P4 PC I use for gaming.

Besides which I love my apps like Freeway Pro, and there's nothing like it on the PC.

Glad your enjoing your new PB - now I just wish mine would get here.. :rolleyes:

Let me know how your airport express works, there is supposed to be an issue with more than a gig of ram... I am waiting to upgrade.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
revisionA said:
Let me know how your airport express works, there is supposed to be an issue with more than a gig of ram... I am waiting to upgrade.
My occasional AE problem went away after Apple released the AE update last week. 1.5GB RAM here.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
aristobrat said:
My occasional AE problem went away after Apple released the AE update last week. 1.5GB RAM here.

Good News. Wish they'd make a some kind of statement about the screens though :rolleyes: Still got my fingers, toes and everything in between crossed ;) that my powerbook is ok..

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Good post, RevisionA - it generally sums up everything that I feel about the new 15". I'd put off buying it for a long time, and whatever comes of this crazy screen line issue, I still feel that overall the display is good. The computer, itself is the snappiest Mac I have ever used, and seems very solidly built.

I may have talked elsewhere about trying to change for a 17", but in the end I think this would be misguided. The 15 really is the sweet spot of the PB range. And if you want/need really good critical display output, you probably need to work on an external anyway, which is the way I will go in the future.

Just a word on memory. Although I have nothing to compare performance to, my Airport reception gives me full strength of the linksys network (an NYC thing), and I have 2GB RAM installed.

Enjoy! For all I have said on the screen issue, I'm enjoying mine too :)

--

revisionA said:

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Props to all

The community feel of this forum keeps me coming back and trying to share my knowledge as approp.

$

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
What a great, balanced review of your PowerBook. Echos many of my thoughts about my own 12" PowerBook. I especially like your section about heat. Sometimes, even thought I know I shouldn't, I take my PowerBook and use it on my lap (in my bed) instead of keeping it on the desk plugged into the external display. It definitely feels like two cats worth of heat :)

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Ditto on the love for PB G4

As most have already said, that was an excellent review. If I had the time, I would post my own 2 year review of my Rev. A, Aluminum PB G4. That's right, I got one of the first ones, before all the scrolling trackpads, parked hard drives, and "superbright" displays. And I still love it. In fact, I enjoy it more now than I did when I first purchased it back in Fall '03 (my year of conversion). I think that's a result of keeping it up to date with all the latest operating systems and software. Apple gives you so much when they update their OS. It's sort of like getting a new computer.

Yup, I had all the usual probs with that model; the pooling in the LCD, the poor battery life, etc. After 2 (very) quick trips back to Apple over the past couple years, everything has been worked out. Overall my score for this computer would be 4.5/5.0. The only improvements I would mention that haven't been incorporated in the latest models are likely to be implemented in the Intel models: slightly more processing power (although 1.25 GHz is plenty for 90% of the tasks I do) and longer battery life, say 6 hrs. I suppose when the Rev. B Intel PB's come out, it will be time to trade her in.

Bottom Line America: Apple makes a kick-arse laptop!

-Rend It

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.