PDA

View Full Version : 256 or 512 - Please help me decide

Koz60
Jul 3, 2013, 07:48 AM
I've narrowed down my build to the MBA 13" i7 and 8mb ram. Dropped from the 512 to 256 and added the Airport TC with 2 TB storage instead.. Just about ready to order but getting haunted by the 512. I own a property mgmt business so mainly used for spread sheets and leases which I know will not take up any noticeable space. If I ever get into video editing or whatever I can always store them in the Airport TC IF space becomes an issue.. This is the logic I've used to convince myself that 256 is enough.. BUT... What if I decide to install Numbers and Pages and then Microsoft Office.. Then want to install Bootcamp or VM to run Windows... WHY??? I have no clue.. But all these programs will take up storage.. right? Just concerned that I'll try to download a movie or install a program or whatever and I'll get that message... Disk Space full, make more room.. and not know what to move off that's not being used. Anyone else every go through this? What was your logic on what you purchased. Anyone have the 256 and wished they got the 512?

Appreciate the help..
Steve

tehsprayer
Jul 3, 2013, 07:57 AM
I would get 256gb with a large sd card to put Windows on. If your work takes up a lot of space it might be worth checking out Dropbox or another cloud

phr0ze
Jul 3, 2013, 08:02 AM
I ran out all the time on 128GB. But on 256GB I never run out. "IF" you ever get into something that demands large storage, you could handle that with an external drive or SD far cheaper.

luisito
Jul 3, 2013, 08:07 AM
I've narrowed down my build to the MBA 13" i7 and 8mb ram. Dropped from the 512 to 256 and added the Airport TC with 2 TB storage instead.. Just about ready to order but getting haunted by the 512. I own a property mgmt business so mainly used for spread sheets and leases which I know will not take up any noticeable space. If I ever get into video editing or whatever I can always store them in the Airport TC IF space becomes an issue.. This is the logic I've used to convince myself that 256 is enough.. BUT... What if I decide to install Numbers and Pages and then Microsoft Office.. Then want to install Bootcamp or VM to run Windows... WHY??? I have no clue.. But all these programs will take up storage.. right? Just concerned that I'll try to download a movie or install a program or whatever and I'll get that message... Disk Space full, make more room.. and not know what to move off that's not being used. Anyone else every go through this? What was your logic on what you purchased. Anyone have the 256 and wished they got the 512?

Appreciate the help..
Steve

If you have the cash.. go for 512. But when you say "WHY??? I have no clue..." It only makes me think that you have no idea what you want and you in fact have the money for it.

But honestly, 256 will work for your needs. Installing MS Office, Pages, Numbers and Keynote will take minimal space. For Windows 7/8 it will take a 100GB partition to work with no problems, which is almost half of you drive, so 128 for each OS is no problem; You got the upgraded ram, so that is a must for dual booting. However for video editing, you are bound to use an external hard drive or Time Capsule, unless you are working on a desktop, I've found that most people that do editing swap external drives do to the great amount they take up, so you are set.

Koz60
Jul 3, 2013, 11:27 AM
If you have the cash.. go for 512. But when you say "WHY??? I have no clue..." It only makes me think that you have no idea what you want and you in fact have the money for it.

This is true. I am retiring so I have to give back my company supplied Laptop and buy my own. I've been running with Windows for years so first time with Macs so having no clue what I'm going to need / want is very true. I think I'm going to get the 512. For the extra money I'll get peace of mind.

Thanks for the help!

Mrbobb
Jul 3, 2013, 11:36 AM
First you say you are doing all these things, and then you say you are retiring. Which is it?

No matter. Is only money and u don't sound like ur in a budget.

Ifti
Jul 3, 2013, 11:45 AM
I went for the 256 in my Air as it will only ever see light use. The upgrade to 512GB cost an extra 200 - for that I could get 2x My Passport 2TB USB3 drives [almost]!

In my previous MacBook, I had mountain lion, FCPX, iLife, MS Office, and many other apps, and hadn't even hit 50GB used!

As I said its not my main system anyway, I'll be getting a maxed 15" retina as my workhorse with the largest SSD available once the updates come ;)

Koz60
Jul 3, 2013, 11:48 AM
First you say you are doing all these things, and then you say you are retiring. Which is it?

No matter. Is only money and u don't sound like ur in a budget.

I can't retire and do all these things? No one told me that... :D

I have two jobs.. Forced retirement from one.. I am not on a budget. I do not like to spend money but I hate cutting corners because of money. If that makes sense.

Lucille Carter
Jul 3, 2013, 11:51 AM
I ordered the 512 with 8gb ram should be here on Monday. Going to partition the drive equally as I will use both OSX and Windows 7 pro.

Does anyone know if a PC builders copy of Win 7 Pro, brand new and unregistered will do what I need in bootcamp?

Thanks

Lucy

luisito
Jul 3, 2013, 01:53 PM
This is true. I am retiring so I have to give back my company supplied Laptop and buy my own. I've been running with Windows for years so first time with Macs so having no clue what I'm going to need / want is very true. I think I'm going to get the 512. For the extra money I'll get peace of mind.

Thanks for the help!

You are retiring...
Stop asking questions and treat yourself man. :)

----------

Does anyone know if a PC builders copy of Win 7 Pro, brand new and unregistered will do what I need in bootcamp?

Thanks

Lucy

If your copy is genuine and unregistered meaning brand new, then you won't have problems. You are set to go!

If your copy is a copy.. then.. no comments.

Lucille Carter
Jul 3, 2013, 02:13 PM
If you got the money 512 will never hurt.:p

Mrbobb
Jul 3, 2013, 05:08 PM
I can't retire and do all these things? No one told me that...

People retire and go sky diving, or climb the himalaya, but you are going to spend time in front of the computer? Whatever float ur boat!

People on a budget would ask whether one has to have all that storage on-the-go. If ur spending most of your computing time at home anyways is cheaper, by an order of magnitude to go external storage, and it's scalable as we say in the biz.

Fattytail
Jul 3, 2013, 07:48 PM
For your uses, it sounds like the only reason you'd ever need 512 is if you suddenly decide to download and store a ton of media. Movies, music, photos, etc. If you're not big on media (or are OK living with it on an external drive), there's really no reason to get a 512. All of the uses you mentioned will fit just fine on 256.