PDA

View Full Version : Finally gotten my MBA 11" 2013...but it has a Sandisk SSD...

dr34mc4st3r
Jul 3, 2013, 11:32 AM
Do you think it's worth the trouble to ask Apple for another Macbook Air with Samsung SSD? :(

dmk1974
Jul 3, 2013, 11:38 AM
Do you think it's worth the trouble to ask Apple for another Macbook Air with Samsung SSD? :(

Which identifiers are for which drives? Mine says SD0128F...assuming SanDisk? Is that bad?

Ifti
Jul 3, 2013, 11:48 AM

What size is the SSD and what speeds are you getting?

Personally I wouldn't bother. Its pot luck and you may just end up with another sandisk anyway.

NorCalLights
Jul 3, 2013, 11:50 AM

Absolutely not.

dr34mc4st3r
Jul 3, 2013, 12:04 PM
Which identifiers are for which drives? Mine says SD0128F...assuming SanDisk? Is that bad?

yea I made that assumption. I tried the blackmagic disk test..was getting like 580+mb for write, 700+ for read.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/859/6lx.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/6lx.png/)

----------

Absolutely not.

Thanks, I guess I do not want to get into a protracted battle of finding a MBA with Samsung SSD as well.

iterva
Jul 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
The difference from ~580mb to ~700mb write will not be noticeable in everyday use, or for 99,99% of the population..Regardless of use.
Disclaimer: IMHO :p

SSD:s are wicked fast, enjoy what you have. Starting a process of trying to get a fully functioning MBA replaced for something as trivial as this is like asking for trouble. Since there seems to be issues some people are having (Mainly WiFi related but also speaker volume fluctuation) and an exchange might get you an Samsung SSD, but also give you some not-so desired other "enhancements" ;)

SN = SanDisk/Marvell
SM = Samsung

dmk1974
Jul 3, 2013, 12:20 PM

In the Blackmagic test, my 128gb drive gets about 320 write and 700 read.

warriorz
Jul 3, 2013, 12:31 PM

You won't specifically be able to ask Apple to replace with Samsung as they themselves won't know unless they open boxes. But, if you're truly not happy, then you have every right to refund/ exchange - you've spent hundreds so do what you feel is right. If it doesn't work out and you get another Sandisk, then decide if you will just live with it or exchange again depending on how you feel. Do what you're comfortable with. Personally I'd try one, maybe 2 exchanges, then just leave it and consider it as a meant to be scenario.

NewbieCanada
Jul 3, 2013, 12:41 PM
In the Blackmagic test, my 128gb drive gets about 320 write and 700 read.

Mine (Samsung) gets about 430 and 685. I wouldn't exchange one for the other.

My 2012 rMBP is about 300 and 450

dr34mc4st3r
Jul 3, 2013, 12:53 PM
The difference from ~580mb to ~700mb write will not be noticeable in everyday use, or for 99,99% of the population..Regardless of use.
Disclaimer: IMHO :p

SSD:s are wicked fast, enjoy what you have. Starting a process of trying to get a fully functioning MBA replaced for something as trivial as this is like asking for trouble. Since there seems to be issues some people are having (Mainly WiFi related but also speaker volume fluctuation) and an exchange might get you an Samsung SSD, but also give you some not-so desired other "enhancements" ;)

SN = SanDisk/Marvell
SM = Samsung

Thanks! It's a big step up from my late 2008 MBP. Really love the SSD speed.

dmk1974
Jul 3, 2013, 01:36 PM
Mine (Samsung) gets about 430 and 685. I wouldn't exchange one for the other.

My 2012 rMBP is about 300 and 450

And yours is a 128 GB as well?

NewbieCanada
Jul 3, 2013, 02:03 PM
And yours is a 128 GB as well?

Yes it is (on the MBA).

filmbuff
Jul 3, 2013, 02:12 PM
yea I made that assumption. I tried the blackmagic disk test..was getting like 580+mb for write, 700+ for read.

90% of the laptops in the world only get 100MBps read and ~90 write with their spinning hard drives. Your laptop is 7 times as fast as 90% of the world's computers.

(disclaimer: I pulled the 90% figure out of my ***, it is probably much higher)

johnjey
Jul 3, 2013, 07:27 PM
Mine says: APPLE SSD SD0512F

So which one is it ? San Disk ?

It has a blackmagic speed test report of 561mb/s read and 761mb/s write

I have a 11' i5/8gb/512 SSD 2013 model AIR

maxosx
Jul 3, 2013, 07:43 PM
Mine has a SanDisk also. Out of nothing more than coincidence a good friend is one of the top ten executives at SanDisk. I've been privy to lots of information on their SSD lineup, and it's pretty impressive. There's nothing to indicate that one should be less than completely happy.

Benchmarks vs. real world usage in a wide variety of tasks is the great equalizer. I push all my computers quite hard due to the nature of my work. I have confidence this SSD will serve me just as well as the OEM Samsung in my 15" MBPr, and the two Samsung 830 Pro's in my other Macs.

davideotape
Jul 3, 2013, 10:14 PM
whoah we're doing this for ssd's now too?

what happens if you return the MBA and you get a samsung ssd.. but an LG SCREEN!!!???

dr34mc4st3r
Jul 3, 2013, 10:25 PM
whoah we're doing this for ssd's now too?

what happens if you return the MBA and you get a samsung ssd.. but an LG SCREEN!!!???

I used to accept whatever I received in my mac, until I started to read macrumor forums :p

My MBA has an LG screen too :( But heck...it's not as bad as I thought.

davideotape
Jul 3, 2013, 10:31 PM
when i upgraded my MBA to an i7 i got an LG screen but DL'd a color profile from here and it's great now.

i guess there aren't any ssd color profiles

thadoggfather
Jul 3, 2013, 10:38 PM
I haven't tweaked with color profiles on an LG, but the demos for the 2013 LG equipped MBA's I briefly played with, I immediately could tell they weren't the same panel as my Samsung without running the terminal code (though that confirmed my suspicions).

I'd absolutely prefer Samsung for viewing. A family member of mine seems more than content with his 2010 LG equipped Air, no issues whatsoever. If I remember right, I could see on the grey/shiny part of the dock and grey part of the top of windows a horizontal banding sort of, distinguished lines (like a printer running out of ink) and text a bit crunchier than my Samsung. My Samsung is just buttery smooth, at least for being TN and not retina.

I'm a stickler for that sort of thing though. If I'm paying same price as someone who does get the Samsung screen, I want the same end result. I think that's a part of the reason, aside from losing too much on my 2011 Air and re-buying, that I've held onto my current laptop. It works, I'm happy, and I don't want to play the screen lottery (though this was the first one I got, didn't swap them out a bunch)

SSD, eh I dunno that I'd return it for that. Seems like Sandisk is becoming a key supplier these days and I'm not staring at my SSD every day or running Black Magic and going bonkers over a slight difference.

I am happy my 2011 is a Samsung SSD as opposed to the Toshiba. Toshiba doesn't seem to be a top of mind brand for solid states in my mind.

But Sandisk, whatevs.

tl;dr To each his own on being picky about SSD/Screen, some are some aren't. I see both points of views. Knowing less about variance in mass manufactured products and ignorance is probably bliss.

PDFierro
Jul 3, 2013, 10:40 PM
I haven't tweaked with color profiles on an LG, but the demos for the 2013 LG equipped MBA's I briefly played with, I immediately could tell they weren't the same panel as my Samsung without running the terminal code (though that confirmed my suspicions).

I'd absolutely prefer Samsung for viewing. A family member of mine seems more than content with his 2010 LG equipped Air, no issues whatsoever. If I remember right, I could see on the grey/shiny part of the dock and grey part of the top of windows a horizontal banding sort of, distinguished lines (like a printer running out of ink) and text a bit crunchier than my Samsung. My Samsung is just buttery smooth, at least for being TN and not retina.

I'm a stickler for that sort of thing though. If I'm paying same price as someone who does get the Samsung screen, I want the same end result. I think that's a part of the reason, aside from losing too much on my 2011 Air and re-buying, that I've held onto my current laptop. It works, I'm happy, and I don't want to play the screen lottery (though this was the first one I got, didn't swap them out a bunch)

SSD, eh I dunno that I'd return it for that. Seems like Sandisk is becoming a key supplier these days and I'm not staring at my SSD every day or running Black Magic and going bonkers over a slight difference.

I am happy my 2011 is a Samsung SSD as opposed to the Toshiba.

But Sandisk, whatevs.

To each his own.

Eh, some people are just as concerned about the SSD supplier as you are with the screen. I think they are both important.

thadoggfather
Jul 3, 2013, 10:41 PM
I agree, and I see it both ways.

Because I'm out of the loop, what are the other suppliers for solid states in the airs?

Samsung and Toshiba still in rotation?

HiDEF
Jul 3, 2013, 10:45 PM
^^ As soon as I powered mine up, I immediately knew it was an LG display. I'm currently using the MR color profile and it's helped a lot.

I am wondering if I exchange, what are my chances of landing a Samsung panel...?

thadoggfather
Jul 3, 2013, 10:47 PM
From my limited sample size of playing with demo units (for 2012's and now 2013's) I'd say LG is the more prevalent one, at least that has been my experience.

HiDEF
Jul 3, 2013, 10:53 PM
I would gamble and go for the exchange but I've been fortunate enough not to have any problems. Yes, the screen can be a Samsung but it's not bad with the color profile.

So why fix it if it ain't broken.

davideotape
Jul 3, 2013, 11:17 PM
dumb question: will you be able to buy a general market, possibly "better" ssd that will fit the MBA in 4-5 months? the ssd is swappable, right?

PDFierro
Jul 3, 2013, 11:46 PM
dumb question: will you be able to buy a general market, possibly "better" ssd that will fit the MBA in 4-5 months? the ssd is swappable, right?

How are you going to get better than what Apple is now offering? OWC is your only alternative, anyway. They used to be ahead in speed a few years ago vs. what Apple offered, but not anymore.

hakr100
Jul 4, 2013, 06:04 AM
Just ran the blackmagic test on my new MBA with the 256 GB flash drive, and got 706 MB/s write and 729 MB/s read.

MBHockey
Jul 4, 2013, 07:34 AM
Just ran the blackmagic test on my new MBA with the 256 GB flash drive, and got 706 MB/s write and 729 MB/s read.

Sandisk or Samsung drive?

hakr100
Jul 4, 2013, 07:51 AM
Sandisk or Samsung drive?

Samsung, I think. I recall seeing a post about the letters that describe one from another.

Jefe's MacAir
Jul 4, 2013, 12:21 PM
711 write 726 read.

Pretty sure I have the Scandisk. 512G.

fedecape
Jul 4, 2013, 01:31 PM
Where Do I see my screen's brand?

Booji
Jul 5, 2013, 12:21 AM
I'm quite happy to have anything other than Samsung parts :)

ylrd
Jul 5, 2013, 03:56 AM
Where Do I see my screen's brand?

 > (hold the alt key) System Information... > SATA/SATA express > Model

Mine says "APPLE SSD SM0256F" :D it's a Samsung!

http://i.imgur.com/3RijQOv.png

And holy cow, it shows...

Please ignore that, I read "my disk's brand". In order to know your screen's brand, run this command:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If there's an "LP" prefix, you've got an LG screen.

More info: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-to-check-for-an-lg-display-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

fedecape
Jul 5, 2013, 04:56 AM
It says LTH, so I guess it's samsung.

alpha754293
Jul 8, 2014, 08:55 PM
my apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just bought my 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2013) (new) and my write speeds on the PCIe SSD is only ~320-ish MB/s and the read speeds are ~700 MB/s and I was wondering why it might be so slow.

I have a SD0128F.

Blackmagic is showing 316 MB/s write. But if I run time -p dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=10240, it comes out to around 330 MB/s.

(And by comparison, my Intel 520 240 GB SATA 6 Gbps SSD reads and writes at sub 550 MB/s).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Oh and I'm already running OS X 10.9.4, with all of the latest updates installed).

capathy21
Jul 8, 2014, 09:21 PM
my apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just bought my 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2013) (new) and my write speeds on the PCIe SSD is only ~320-ish MB/s and the read speeds are ~700 MB/s and I was wondering why it might be so slow.

I have a SD0128F.

Blackmagic is showing 316 MB/s write. But if I run time -p dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=10240, it comes out to around 330 MB/s.

(And by comparison, my Intel 520 240 GB SATA 6 Gbps SSD reads and writes at sub 550 MB/s).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Oh and I'm already running OS X 10.9.4, with all of the latest updates installed).

That's normal for a 128 SanDisk Drive. I have the base model rMBP and my speeds are roughly the same. I wouldn't worry about it. In everyday use you will not be able to tell a difference. The larger capacity drives also tend to be faster. My wife's 2014 13"MBA has a Samsung and it has read and write speeds over 500 and there is no noticeable difference in usage between hers and mine.

cyber16
Jul 8, 2014, 09:23 PM
The 64GB drives are slow. the 128GB are faster, and then you get faster with the 256gb and real fast with the 512gb. So make sure you compare not only brand but also size
I think the size of your drive is the reason for some of the slower speeds, but that does seem a little off

alpha754293
Jul 8, 2014, 09:38 PM
That's normal for a 128 SanDisk Drive. I have the base model rMBP and my speeds are roughly the same. I wouldn't worry about it. In everyday use you will not be able to tell a difference. The larger capacity drives also tend to be faster. My wife's 2014 13"MBA has a Samsung and it has read and write speeds over 500 and there is no noticeable difference in usage between hers and mine.

The 64GB drives are slow. the 128GB are faster, and then you get faster with the 256gb and real fast with the 512gb. So make sure you compare not only brand but also size
I think the size of your drive is the reason for some of the slower speeds, but that does seem a little off

Well, I was wondering if the performance would suffer more because my MBA only has 4 GB of RAM, so it would likely end up needing to swap more to disk, and so the speed of the SSD will affect the swap performance, since it seems inevitable that it will do that in the future.

capathy21
Jul 8, 2014, 09:49 PM
Well, I was wondering if the performance would suffer more because my MBA only has 4 GB of RAM, so it would likely end up needing to swap more to disk, and so the speed of the SSD will affect the swap performance, since it seems inevitable that it will do that in the future.

I understand where you are coming from as I initially had those thoughts as well but I don't think it is something you will notice. I can take my base model 4GB/128SSD(with slower San Disk) rMBP and put it next to my wife's base model 4GB/128SSD(faster Samsung Disk) Air and open all of the same programs while pushing both machines hard and there is no speed difference to speak of. While they aren't both the exact same machine(one Air and one pro), they both have the same ram and the same sized SSD so in theory they should be similar.

In the end it all amounts to what you are happy with. In my opinion, the San Disk performs greatly and if I hadn't ran Black Magic, I would never know the difference.

Also if you play the exchange game there is no guarantee you won't keep getting San Disk again:)

alpha754293
Jul 8, 2014, 09:55 PM
I understand where you are coming from as I initially had those thoughts as well but I don't think it is something you will notice. I can take my base model 4GB/128SSD(with slower San Disk) rMBP and put it next to my wife's base model 4GB/128SSD(faster Samsung Disk) Air and open all of the same programs while pushing both machines hard and there is no speed difference to speak of. While they aren't both the exact same machine(one Air and one pro), they both have the same ram and the same sized SSD so in theory they should be similar.

In the end it all amounts to what you are happy with. In my opinion, the San Disk performs greatly and if I hadn't ran Black Magic, I would never know the difference.

Also if you play the exchange game there is no guarantee you won't keep getting San Disk again:)

Hmmm....

I'm not sure if I would notice the difference or not eventually because I tend to have several HUNDRED Firefox tabs open (the joys of doing research)...so...that tends to tax the system quite a fair bit...(which also tends to lead to a lot of swapping...)

capathy21
Jul 8, 2014, 10:04 PM
Hmmm....

I'm not sure if I would notice the difference or not eventually because I tend to have several HUNDRED Firefox tabs open (the joys of doing research)...so...that tends to tax the system quite a fair bit...(which also tends to lead to a lot of swapping...)

Several hundred???? How in the hell do you keep up with them?

alpha754293
Jul 8, 2014, 10:05 PM
Several hundred???? How in the hell do you keep up with them?

Excellent spatial reasoning skills??? (Loose memory of what they are by position...)

flowrider
Jul 8, 2014, 10:10 PM
because I tend to have several HUNDRED Firefox tabs open

I'd love to see a screen shot. I can't imagine:eek:

Lou

alpha754293
Jul 8, 2014, 10:14 PM
I'd love to see a screen shot. I can't imagine:eek:

Lou

it's not hard when you're dealing with international law...

capathy21
Jul 8, 2014, 10:15 PM
Excellent spatial reasoning skills??? (Loose memory of what they are by position...)

I don't think you will have any problems with the San Disk. I am currently on my base model rMBP (4GB/128 San Disk) with 40 active tabs in Safari, 40 open tabs in Chrome, iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto, Spotify, Word, Excel, Numbers, iTunes, all running simultaneously (much higher multitasking than my normal use) and have yet to have any lag or beach ball spinning. I am swapping but still flying as if I had a maxed out machine. I am trying to slow it down but it just keeps going:)

alpha754293
Jul 8, 2014, 10:28 PM
I don't think you will have any problems with the San Disk. I am currently on my base model rMBP (4GB/128 San Disk) with 40 active tabs in Safari, 40 open tabs in Chrome, iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto, Spotify, Word, Excel, Numbers, iTunes, all running simultaneously (much higher multitasking than my normal use) and have yet to have any lag or beach ball spinning. I am swapping but still flying as if I had a maxed out machine. I am trying to slow it down but it just keeps going:)

Thanks.