Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil.Edward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hello MacRumors Fans
I recently bought a iPad mini with the lighting to SD card reader. I was wondering how can I transfer my music from the SD card to my ipad I don't have a computer. Please help me out here

goldilx

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
If I'm not mistaken the whole idea of the Lightning to SD Card Reader is to transfer directly to your iPad. The adaptor has 2 ends, the larger end goes into your iPad and the smaller for the SD card. Plug them up and it should transfer. The only time you need a computer is to sync your iPad, and it will transfer to the computer- what you transferred from the SD card.
I hope this helps.:apple:

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
You cannot use this adapter to transfer your music, it is designed for moving photos and videos only, that's why it's called SD Card Camera Reader.

goldilx

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
If it were a Samsung you could just touch your SD card to iPad and it would transfer.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
You cannot use this adapter to transfer your music, it is designed for moving photos and videos only, that's why it's called SD Card Camera Reader.

Agree w/ the above, i.e. the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) can be used for photo/video transfer from a digital camera; now photos can be put on a camera's SD card in the DCIM folder, however, the images must be renamed to match the file structure used by the camera's brand/model - BUT, music is not an option via this connection.

Just out of curiosity, how much music is on the SD card and would you also like to put even more music on the iPad - might impact on getting help from a friend/family member who owns a computer? But w/o a computer, iTunes, and an Apple ID (assume you have the latter already?), there just is not a way w/ the stock iPad (i.e. not jailbroken which I cannot address). But if you gain access to a computer, a user account could be set up in your name allowing access to iTunes, iCloud, or Apple's Match - not sure 'how easy' or 'how willing' a person w/ the computer would be to help? Otherwise, downloading music from the iTunes app, using Pandora, etc. seems to be your present choices.

Good luck and will be interested in the responses of others - there may be a way that is new to me - :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.