PDA

View Full Version : Order MBA now or wait for Mavericks

nagihcim1
Jul 3, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm assuming the upgrade to Mavericks will be $20 (maybe free) if I order an MBA now so money isn't the issue in this decision. My concern is getting a MBA with Snow Leopard then upgrading a month later to Mavericks will leave behind unneeded Snow Leopard files. Is this something to be concerned with at all? My only other concern was that if I ever need to do a restore would I have to restore back to Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Mavericks or will a system restore go back to a clean install of Mavericks? Thanks!

unplugme71
Jul 3, 2013, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming the upgrade to Mavericks will be $20 (maybe free) if I order an MBA now so money isn't the issue in this decision. My concern is getting a MBA with Snow Leopard then upgrading a month later to Mavericks will leave behind unneeded Snow Leopard files. Is this something to be concerned with at all? My only other concern was that if I ever need to do a restore would I have to restore back to Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Mavericks or will a system restore go back to a clean install of Mavericks? Thanks!

Buy now or later. Doesn't matter. You can always do a clean install.

iBram15
Jul 3, 2013, 03:34 PM
Just order now, there won't be any problems when upgrading, and if there are you can always do a clean install..

53kyle
Jul 3, 2013, 03:43 PM

I'm confused. You are talking about ordering a MBA but talking about snow leopard :confused: Did you mean mountain lion? Either way, there won't be any un-needed files left over :)

nagihcim1
Jul 3, 2013, 03:54 PM
Yes, Mountain Lion

PDFierro
Jul 3, 2013, 05:48 PM
You're overthinking it.

Weaselboy
Jul 3, 2013, 08:58 PM
Yes, Mountain Lion

Don't worry about it. The recent OS installs actually replace all the OS files, so other than files in your user area, it is a fresh system.

scaredpoet
Jul 3, 2013, 10:41 PM
My concern is getting a MBA with Snow Leopard then upgrading a month later to Mavericks will leave behind unneeded Snow Leopard files.

This won't happen. The upgrade to the next OS version will install what's needed and remove what needs to be removed.

And if you're that concerned, you can always upgrade, then do a clean install to a completely fresh version of Mavericks using Internet restore (hold down Command + Option + R when booting).

My only other concern was that if I ever need to do a restore would I have to restore back to Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Mavericks or will a system restore go back to a clean install of Mavericks? Thanks!

The restore partition will have the latest version of the OS that you've purchased. If it's the factory install of Mountain Lion, and you haven't upgraded to Mavericks, than that's what you're going to get on a restore. If you've upgraded to Mavericks, then you'll get that.