Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I don't know much about investing, but I'd like to buy a few shares of Apple stock (probably about 500.00 worth). I know thats a small amount but I am still working my way through college. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about this? Thanks

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
use your parents broker- they'll have a better working relationship and most likely wont charge as much

you ought to think about a mutual fund instead, most funds only have a $1000 minimum

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
gwuMACaddict said:
use your parents broker- they'll have a better working relationship and most likely wont charge as much

you ought to think about a mutual fund instead, most funds only have a $1000 minimum

A mutual fund would be okay, but I'd like to be in direct control of where my money is going.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Scottrade, Schwab, etrade, Ameritrade...just check out all the big-name budget brokers. They tend to focus on smaller investors, and you should find one with no more than a $500 minimum to open an account.

Commissions will not be high, especially if you plan on buying some Apple and just holding it. Maybe $10 or $20. Any full service broker (your parents, uncle, friend, etc...) will likely charge more.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I can't seem to find anyplace where I can get in for under 1000.00. I was hoping to get some stock before the intel macs come out, but I might have to wait. I also wanted to invest in Pixar before Cars came out. Hmm...any other ideas?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
silverback66 said:
I can't seem to find anyplace where I can get in for under 1000.00. I was hoping to get some stock before the intel macs come out, but I might have to wait. I also wanted to invest in Pixar before Cars came out. Hmm...any other ideas?
I don't think it'll help you with Apple or Pixar, but many companies offer a DRIP for small investors. DRIP stands for Dividend ReInvestment Plan. Basically, you send them some money and they buy the shares for you. Any dividends the stock pays out gets reinvested in the company. If you want to sell, you must tell them in writing, so you won't be able to day trade.

Do a google on DRIP to get more details as I've probably misstated some things.

Also, I do not think that Apple nor Pixar offer DRIPs, but I could be wrong.

ft

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
Alright, I'm up and running! I went with sharebuilder. Seems perfect for me right now. This is exciting. I've never owned any stock before. Now I'm literally personally invested in apple.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
silverback66 said:
Alright, I'm up and running! I went with sharebuilder. Seems perfect for me right now. This is exciting. I've never owned any stock before. Now I'm literally personally invested in apple.

Congrats and have fun! If you are in it for the long haul, just remember to keep a level head thru the highs and lows. I've owned Apple for a little over a year, and it has obviously been great.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I use my parents broker... AKA my dad. I put $250 in Apple about 3/4 a year ago and now im up to $720 if I was to sell right now. Pretty good deal if you ask me :D.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
this makes me want to get my 400(+internest over 2-3 years) and invest in Apple

and then when ever Apple does something great(which is daily) i make $$:cool:

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I was thinking about shifting my money around a little bit, but I think I'm just going to throw it all into Apple's corner. I'm eager to see how the intel transition affects stock prices and I'm willing to bet we'll see an itunes movie store (or whatever it may be called) along with a widescreen ipod in time for next Christmas. That ought to be interesting. Wow, I haven't been this excited about something in awhile. This is a nice (and hopefully profitable) little hobby I've found here!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
runninmac said:
I use my parents broker... AKA my dad. I put $250 in Apple about 3/4 a year ago and now im up to $720 if I was to sell right now. Pretty good deal if you ask me :D.

If by "3/4 a year ago" you mean ~9 months, then you're not quite right. You've maybe almost doubled your money...very nice (I have too), but not tripled it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.