Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
My iPhone 5 on iOS7 beta 2 is not connecting to Siri at all. I have done everything I could think of, like shutting it down, pulling out SIM, restarting it, reset network settings, turning Siri off and on, turning airplane mode off and on, etc...
Is it time to bring it in to Apple (I have Apple Care)?

P.S. It has been working fine since I got the first beta on day 1,then just started acting up like this a few hours ago.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Just wait, I have had this happen many times on the beta, shut down and turn back on....wait and later it's back working, could be 15 min, a half hour, could be an hour.

Some times it comes up and double tones when you click, sometimes she just says she is sorry, I find it happens after coming out of certain apps or doing certain things.

It's beta, I have 2 phones, so I just use one for the beta, I would never want to use a beta on a phone I had to count on.

It is going to do these things, it gets reported by testers and hopefully resolved in the next beta. I assume your not a Dev, if so you probably are breaking some sort of rules I would guess, although seems everyone is doing it. I would guess Apple Care would do nothing at all for you but show you how to downgrade.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
i had some issues with siri aswell. are you sure the problem is related to ios 7? on my phone it was a problem caused by a defective noise cancelling microphone which kinda filtered my voice so nothing got picked up by the mic.
got it replaced by apple care

edit: does the problem also occur when you're shooting a video or making calls over the speaker?

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I am a dev, and I have tried everything, so I guess I should go to Apple and see what they can tell me.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I asked Siri to remind me at 4 today and it showed me saying something in Spanish.

It worked the second time.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I am a dev, and I have tried everything, so I guess I should go to Apple and see what they can tell me.

No you don't go to Apple. You file a bug report and wait until it gets fixed. Such is life with a BETA!

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
No you don't go to Apple. You file a bug report and wait until it gets fixed. Such is life with a BETA!

But I do not believe it is a bug with the beta. It was working fine, then out of the blue, stopped. I mean, I even tried restoring to 6.1.4.....

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
After 3 years, siri isn't beta- it's vaporware. It's a useless piece of crap used for marketing hype only.

I find it quite useful while I am driving and using my headphones when my phone is in my pocket.
Anyway, does anyone know if there is one last thing to try that I may have overlooked, before going to Apple?

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I find it quite useful while I am driving and using my headphones when my phone is in my pocket.
Anyway, does anyone know if there is one last thing to try that I may have overlooked, before going to Apple?

Restoring the phone completely (Go into setting and click erase data and restore) if you've not already tried that. As for bringing it to Apple they won't touch it if it's a software issue and it's running the beta. I'm bringing my phone in tomorrow for a hardware problem and I called them to make sure it was ok if I brought it with iOS 7 and they said it's fine as long as it is NOT directly related to the software, which in your case it is.

Pietro

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

There will be no point in going to Apple with IOS 7 installed. They won't help you with beta software regardless of having AppleCare of being a Dev. You will have to go back to IOS 6 which will probably fix the problem anyway.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
After 3 years, siri isn't beta- it's vaporware. It's a useless piece of crap used for marketing hype only.

I was actually talking about iOS 7 beta. And Siri has its problems but it's pretty useful. iOS 7 is going to make it even better!

----------

But I do not believe it is a bug with the beta. It was working fine, then out of the blue, stopped. I mean, I even tried restoring to 6.1.4.....

Siri has started acting up on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 beta 2 just out of the blue. I have to give it a couple of tries and then it works again. But I think it's the beta. If you switched back to iOS 6 and it's still not working then you should take it to Apple.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I was actually talking about iOS 7 beta. And Siri has its problems but it's pretty useful. iOS 7 is going to make it even better!

----------

Siri has started acting up on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 beta 2 just out of the blue. I have to give it a couple of tries and then it works again. But I think it's the beta. If you switched back to iOS 6 and it's still not working then you should take it to Apple.

It worked once this morning, but stopped again and now will not work again.

brianld

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Seattle
I am having the same issue. Tried a completely clean install, tried restore from backup, nada.

Anyone want to volunteer to downgrade to iOS 6 and report back? ;)

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2008
Still, it have some problems controlling the system events, like brightness control or flashlight. Anyone else having the same issues?

True. I still have that problem but for me Siri and Dictation wasn't working at all so the Reset fixed that.

brianld

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Seattle
Anyone else have a completely non-functioning Siri? I have found that I can get Siri to work through a bluetooth headset, but it does nothing when using the built-in microphone.

paulmadejong

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Netherlands
Anyone else have a completely non-functioning Siri? I have found that I can get Siri to work through a bluetooth headset, but it does nothing when using the built-in microphone.
After a while, I had some problems with Siri in beta 2, but now in Beta 3 (OTA update) I haven't been able to use Siri at all.... Dictation doesn't work either, btw.

alanjfrancis

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Stafford, UK
iPhone 5, Beta 3. I dictated a message to my wife, which was accepted by Siri and seemed to send, only to find out (after i'd finished driving) it wasn't sent...no sign of a text ever being sent.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Siri just stopped working for me last night in iOS7 beta 3 too. All of a sudden after it was all working just fine.

I did reboots, resetting all settings, loading a previous back up, nothing helped.

Any idea? Is this a Siri server to iOS7 communications error or what?

----------

Ok seems this trick did it: Changing Siri language to something other than English, testing it, then putting back to English. Working again.

bbb543

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013

Hate to bring back a dead thread, but it seems like the timing of the (possible) beginning of my problem lines up pretty close with when this topic was being discussed.

I stepped on my phone cracking the LCD about the time this thread was created (so I can't really say when this actually started happening) and recently got around to putting a new screen on it and reactivating it. Upon getting the phone working again, I noticed a few things that weren't working including Siri/keyboard dictation and others (which did start working again).

Assuming it was just bugs associated with the outdated Beta, I decided to just do a full reset, no luck. Downgraded from iOS 7 Beta 4 (+/- 1) to iOS 6.1.4 and did a full reset again to find that Siri, keyboard dictation, and maps still did not work correctly. (I do recognize that the gps could be due to damage from stepping on it or opening it up. However, while not perfectly, google maps does work.)

I left 6.1.4 loaded for a week or so because I thought that downgrading solved most of my problems. But now I'm thinking most of the "issues" I was having were just due to the fact that Sprint is awful and I had just reactivated the phone.

I sort of just ignored the issue for a few days thinking it may be the server or Sprint or something else, but finally, still with no change to Siri or keyboard usability of the microphone, I decided to upgrade to iOS 7 Beta 6 yesterday.

Still not working.

Other apps like Shazam are able to use the mic as well as native apps including camera and voice memos. Didn't check FaceTime, but I assume it works too. Seems like my problem is isolated to Siri and the keyboard dictation.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.