Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Ok, so technically, we are running a not so outdated Operating System, right?

Security-wise, it's 2 years old.

I couldn't care less. Don't do do anything that I would be concerned about anyone stealing, and the things that require rely on up-to-date software that I use.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
All flavors of Linux I installed on my iBook G4 were useless for my work, none of them offered the tools I needed for my job. But hey! at least it has an "updated web browser"

I couldn't agree more and I use Linux on my work Desktop (Intel of course) so am not an anti-Linux guy by any means. For PowerPC though it's just not worth the effort, if you want to use Linux get a cheap Intel machine and use it to it's fullest, most supported, no application restrictions capability.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Oh, when I stated the last security update was July 2011, I hadn't even thought about Intel machines.

Good catch.
That was a small and exceptional update though. It only cured a specific Java problem. The one you mentioned probably was the last 'real' one.

My G4 has become barely useful on the internet, even when I use all kinds tricks (like using mobile websites). Why would I want to wait 20 seconds for a page to load when I have machine that loads websites almost instantly? PowerPC Macs aren't too safe either. That being said there's a lot of other stuff a computer can do besides surfing the web.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My G4 has become barely useful on the internet, even when I use all kinds tricks (like using mobile websites).
Are you using the stock Safari browser?

If so…why? There's Leopard Webkit and there's Aurorafox/TenFourFox. Roccat is also updated frequently. The last two are updated frequently. TenFourFox 22 was just released a few days ago. It's secure.
Why would I want to wait 20 seconds for a page to load when I have machine that loads websites almost instantly?
Again, the browsers I named above. If you are still using Safari, I can't help you.
PowerPC Macs aren't too safe either.
TenFourFox/Aurorafox, Leopard Webkit, Roccat.

You're making it sound like if you use a PowerPC Mac to access the Internet you are immediately exposing everything about yourself and that anyone can just invade your computer and take over.

That's not the case. And if it's viruses your worried about, Sophos Antivirus which runs on PowerPC Mac and is udated daily. Or ClamX antivirus which also runs on PowerPC.

Leopard also has a firewall.

That being said there's a lot of other stuff a computer can do besides surfing the web.
Very true. Like, in my case putting out newspapers weekly to include ad design, pagination, legals and classifieds using Adobe CS4 and Acrobat 9 Pro.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011

If so…why? There's Leopard Webkit and there's Aurorafox/TenFourFox. Roccat is also updated frequently. The last two are updated frequently. TenFourFox 22 was just released a few days ago. It's secure.

Again, the browsers I named above. If you are still using Safari, I can't help you.

TenFourFox/Aurorafox, Leopard Webkit, Roccat.

You're making it sound like if you use a PowerPC Mac to access the Internet you are immediately exposing everything about yourself and that anyone can just invade your computer and take over.

That's not the case. And if it's viruses your worried about, Sophos Antivirus which runs on PowerPC Mac and is udated daily. Or ClamX antivirus which also runs on PowerPC.

Leopard also has a firewall.

Very true. Like, in my case putting out newspapers weekly to include ad design, pagination, legals and classifieds using Adobe CS4 and Acrobat 9 Pro.
I use Safari, Tenfourfox and Camino (but not Roccat). Only simple websites work well enough for me. I tend to use the mobile version of Facebook (and other complex websites) since the standard websites are simply too slow, especially whilst running other apps or websites at the same time. It would surprise me to see much difference with Roccat.

Yeah, I tend to use my G4 a lot for accessing my pictures and word processing files on my Dropbox, using my printer etc. So I'm definitely not saying the machine is worthless. However the internet got extremely complex; running a video on a website is terribly slow for me, while one the other hand non-HD video's work great in QuickTime.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
I use Safari, Tenfourfox and Camino (but not Roccat). Only simple websites work well enough for me. I tend to use the mobile version of Facebook (and other complex websites) since the standard websites are simply too slow, especially whilst running other apps or websites at the same time. It would surprise me to see much difference with Roccat.

Yeah, I tend to use my G4 a lot for accessing my pictures and word processing files on my Dropbox, using my printer etc. So I'm definitely not saying the machine is worthless. However the internet got extremely complex; running a video on a website is terribly slow for me, while one the other hand non-HD video's work great in QuickTime.
I go to heavy flashed/java pages while downloading stuff using transmission and listening to spotify... on a powerbook G4, so clearly you are doing something not quite right ;) (like using slow browsers for example)

Btw, I feel VERY SECURE using webkit 537 and 10.5.8 online

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I go to heavy flashed/java pages while downloading stuff using transmission and listening to spotify... on a powerbook G4, so clearly you are doing something not quite right ;) (like using slow browsers for example)

In my case YouTube barely worked (ultimately I simply removed Flash completely). Now I even find Google Search not working as fluid as it should...

B-G

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
In my case YouTube barely worked (ultimately I simply removed Flash completely). Now I even find Google Search not working as fluid as it should...

Are you using adblock in Safari, by any chance? It is a terrible resource hog, especially on powerpc.

Also, I see that the Mac Mini in your signature and my eMac are very close relatives, the main difference being the amount of installed ram. My machine has always worked very smoothly even when it had 1GB of ram, so I don't think the problem is in the hardware.

As for Youtube, Leopard Webkit (with the advanced features enabled) + ClickToPlugin should work well on most video sites. And there are even more efficient ways to watch online videos if you use TenFourFox / AuroraFox + MPlayer.

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Are you using adblock in Safari, by any chance? It is a terrible resource hog, especially on powerpc.

Also I see that the Mac Mini in your signature and my eMac are very close relatives, the main difference being the amount of ram. My machine has always worked very smoothly even when it had 1GB of ram, so I don't think the problem is in the hardware.

As for Youtube, Leopard Webkit (with the advanced teatures enabled) + ClickToPlugin should work well on most video sites. And there are even more efficient ways to watch online videos if you use TenFourFox / AuroraFox + MPlayer.

I second with adblock plus. Remove it from Safari.

I have suffered so much memory being used with Safari and also with so much CPU cycles. My Safari is unusable. Digging the internet for information lead me to uninstalling all the extensions and deleting the flash plugin. I don't view flash videos anyway. I use glimmerblocker, it is stand alone and it does not interfere with Safari. Now, my Safari on my PB is sleeker than ever and quite fast, it might be faster than my Camino. But I have no way of telling.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm willing to sacrafice a bit of speed for customization. I use Aurorafox/TFF with a lot of plugins, but Flash is not one of them. If I want to see a video I'll use Camino or Safari for that.

I've optimized my browser as much as I can, tweaking the setttings and it's still pretty fast. This is on a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 with 2GB ram, but a failed external cache (which I am told limits processing power directly to the CPU, i.e., no caching). My G5 really has no issues.

One of the things I did find out yesterday that's helped was the removal of AdBlockPlus. Now, I'm a big fan of ABP, but apparently the later versions are resource hogs and I didn't know it. There is however, a fork of that extension called AdBlock Edge so I've installed that. Things have sped up considerably.

If speed is what matters to you though I would suggest Stainless or Demeter. Both webkit, both blazing fast. Of course, they aren't secure but at this point most of us are using a variety of browsers to accomplish certain tasks.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for the tips. I'm currently using an Intel Mac but I"ll try some of your suggestions when I return to my home desk.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
web

Security-wise, it's 2 years old.

I couldn't care less. Don't do do anything that I would be concerned about anyone stealing, and the things that require rely on up-to-date software that I use.

That's actually an advantage - nobody's wasting their time finding security exploits in systems that admittedly aren't used as much anymore.

I used to use a combination of Aurora and TenFourFox, but now that I discovered how to reenable flash in TenFourFox, it's my only browser (since AuroraFox was basically the same with the exception of flash).

Honestly, it isn't just Apple or PowerPC. These stupid HTML5 and Javascript heavy sites look terrible and work poorly on just about everything. If they can't make it work right, why try to do it at all. If nothing else, make Flash based websites - atleast they were fast.

We've seen it happen so much now - GrooveShark, Google Maps, and now even YouTube is trying to head that way too. Actually, their HTML5 video player is moving along okay, but the rest of the site just feels cheap, slow, and unresponsive like so many other HTML5/Javascript hungry sites these days.

::

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
macromedia flash player

HTML5 slower than Flash LOL. Flash was never fast.

You probably think that because you were using it on slower hardware at the time IMO. If you visit one of the websites today that are still more flash based, you'll see just what we've been missing. I don't even use the Google forums anymore (not that there was much anything worth browsing on those in the first place) because they're so slow with HTML5/JavaScript. Not to mention, those websites were a lot prettier too.

I more than agree, I even removed the flash plugin on my intel macs. My life is flash free. lol.

Good luck playing flash videos, flash games, and using websites that rely on Flash player :p

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I don't care much about web browsing and watching flash based videos. I read. Call me old school but I prefer to read. Except MR and news sites. I don't care much about anything on the web.

Sometimes you need to unplug and enjoy life as it is. You will miss the fun if you tie yourself up infront of the computer.

I use my computers for work. Some those are being used by my kids. And I dont encourage them to play computer based games. I wanted them to be physical and have a real life interaction with real life human beings.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Don't worry I know what I've been missing - terrible software. Even Adobe thinks Flash is near EOL and will be superceded by the much faster and better HTML5.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly, it isn't just Apple or PowerPC. These stupid HTML5 and Javascript heavy sites look terrible and work poorly on just about everything. If they can't make it work right, why try to do it at all. If nothing else, make Flash based websites - atleast they were fast.

We've seen it happen so much now - GrooveShark, Google Maps, and now even YouTube is trying to head that way too. Actually, their HTML5 video player is moving along okay, but the rest of the site just feels cheap, slow, and unresponsive like so many other HTML5/Javascript hungry sites these days.

Of course you have the right to prefer flash over html5 :) it's just.... a little "unusual"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.