PDA

View Full Version : How to install printer driver for Canon printer

GreenDice
Nov 9, 2005, 12:13 PM
I have a Canon i9900 photo printer connected to my Network Drive printer server. Works great with Windows XP. I just got my PowerMac G5 2.3 dual-core. Downloaded the OS X 10.4 driver from Canon web site.

However, i9900 does not appear on the list of printer types. It still only has its default list. Since I am a brand-new switcher, I don't exactly know what to expect.

Please help.

swiftaw
Nov 9, 2005, 01:00 PM
I have a Canon i9900 photo printer connected to my Network Drive printer server. Works great with Windows XP. I just got my PowerMac G5 2.3 dual-core. Downloaded the OS X 10.4 driver from Canon web site.

However, i9900 does not appear on the list of printer types. It still only has its default list. Since I am a brand-new switcher, I don't exactly know what to expect.

Please help.

I believe it will show up only if you physically have it connected to your PowerMac, if you want to print to it over the network then you need to use one of the GIMP drivers that comes bundled with OS X. I am speaking from my experiences with my Canon S820.

If I am incorrect about this then please feel free to correct me.

Laser47
Nov 9, 2005, 01:49 PM
I had the same problem with a canon ip600D. The canon drivers for mac dont support CUPS (network printing protocol) thats why it doesnt work. I got it to work by using a program called PrintFab, it has drivers for canons that support printing though a network and it works great. The only downside is that it costs 69$ but its free for i think 60 days. Try it out

http://www.printfab.net/

GreenDice
Nov 9, 2005, 03:50 PM
I see they have a list of gimp drivers but i9900 is not on that list.

It sounds that it is a pain to print over the network from my Mac, not that it was that nice when I was doing in on Windows XP. There are a number of things I could not do when the printer is on the network. For example, Canon's printer status monitor does not work.

I think I am going to move the printer so that it is directly connected to my Mac. It will be faster to print this way as well.

Thanks for all the inputs.