Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
I have a firewire lacie 12x burner right now (well, the case says lacie, the burner actually appears to be a plexwriter from the logo)

would it be possible to replace the 12 burner in the lacie case with a 52x burner? I don't want to put it in my computer internally (even if I could) b/c i want to be able to use it with both my pc and mac

(a related question would be how would this impact mac compatability if I could indeed replace it)

then again, there's no way I could perhaps put a 52x burner in my pc and then somehow connect my mac to it so that I can use toast on the mac to burn using the PC's internal burner? (now wouldn't it be cool if something like this worked using rendezvous? he he)

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
what brand is tthe new one??

somewhere (i forget) there is a site that will tell you if your burner is mac compatible and if anyone has had problems with it.

Generally i should work. OSX is UNIX, it will be able to at least work in finder if not iMovie.

Hope that helps.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by Choppaface

then again, there's no way I could perhaps put a 52x burner in my pc and then somehow connect my mac to it so that I can use toast on the mac to burn using the PC's internal burner? (now wouldn't it be cool if something like this worked using rendezvous? he he)

Now that would be something I could defintely use!
grinning.gif

But as for your origional question.....

It should work, CD burners that you buy which are already in a case probably aren't any different than if you buy a seperate burner and a F/W case, they just have a company specific case, the chipset should be the same one as the seperate cases so it should work, but it'll probably void your warranty though.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: switch burners?

Originally posted by Choppaface
I have a firewire lacie 12x burner right now (well, the case says lacie, the burner actually appears to be a plexwriter from the logo)

would it be possible to replace the 12 burner in the lacie case with a 52x burner? I don't want to put it in my computer internally (even if I could) b/c i want to be able to use it with both my pc and mac

(a related question would be how would this impact mac compatability if I could indeed replace it)

I dont think it will work. Apple just added support for the 52x lacie burners. if look in toast under burn name it will say lacie, not plexwriter or sayno or whatever company makes the burner. go for it but make sure wherever you buy it you can return it in case it doenst work. good luck. i would jsut buy a new lacie burner, they are really nice, i had a chance to play with one.

iJon

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Re: Re: switch burners?

Originally posted by iJon

i would jsut buy a new lacie burner, they are really nice, i had a chance to play with one.

iJon

i would but it's like double or quadruple what a wholesale one would be if I could find one and just stick it in the existing lacie case....

it seems I could get something like this and it would work fine, no?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=27-106-216&DEPA=8

i guess the newer 52x light-on's that are like $50 aren't toast compatible (yet?)

also, the lacie has a fan in it... could this be for the power supply or maybe for the burner?

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Don't they make firewire cases for burners and hard drives? Or are those only for hard drives? I was thinking that if all else fails, you could always get an external case to put the burner in (the case comes with the chipset) but I don't know much about comaptibility.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
That site, http://www.xlr8yourmac.com, has a drive compatibility database. You should be able to put it in the Lacie case, if you remove the front bezel (actually, you might not even have to do that). Lacie just packages other brands in their cases, in your case the Plextor. You'd be suprised to find that most of the drives out there (including the Lace 52x) use a Lite-On drive.

Go for it, it should work fine.

And if it doesn't, you can buy a new external case cheap.

http://www.pricewatch.com

Then use the 12x as an internal backup drive for your PC.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
sweet thanks for the info :D :D

I decided to rip open my lacie and indeed it's just a normal burner with some chips and stuff for power and the firewire board, nearly identical to what the pix of the plextor at newegg looks like

and i can slap a 52x lite-on in there that http://www.xlr8yourmac.com says is ok for $50! sweet sweet sweet :D :D :D

thanks this rocks!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
No prob. You can get the Plextor 48x with the 4MB cache, supposedly better quality and compatibility. Or the 52x Lite-On with the 2MB cache which should work fine too. I have a 48x Lite-On and it's great. Very fast burns, reads/writes even bad discs.

The 52x came out just a few weeks later, but I'm not mad about it. By then I had burned a ton of CDs (my 8x Ricoh just wasn't cutting it anymore). And most of the time I burn at 24x anyway.

Hopefully, if I decide to go with the Tower next year, Teac will have a new 52x. Good compatibility, Sanyo's BURN-Proof, and an 8 MB CACHE. Nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.