Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianrish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
United States
I want to make a Pokémon fan game or a game like Pokémon.

I have Windows XP SP3 in a virtual machine that has RPG Maker XP on it but that doesn't have a mac app and I HATE Windows. Are there any RPG Makers that I can download on a Mac? :)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
First contact Nintendo, and pay them 900 Billion $ to license the pokemon gaming rights, (i think the figure is about as low as they would go).

If its just for yourself, and your not going to be letting others play it, the i can suggest the RPG maker on steam, its around £49.99 if not on sale, and is pretty much ideal for this sort of thing.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't think Nintendo would be very happy, but I'd say go for it! Regretfully (for you) there doesn't appear to be an RPG maker available for OS X at this moment.

Maybe you could try and get the Windows version working in Wineskin or shove some virtualization software on your mac.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I HATE Windows.

Your best bet is to get over that. Do I prefer using OS X over Windows? Absolutely. But it's not uncommon that you'll find that the best app to do a task is only on Windows, particularly when it's a niche market like that for an RPG maker. So sometimes you're just going to have to accept the fact that you need to use Windows.

You've already got Windows installed on a virtual machine, so it seems to me that you're already over the biggest hurdle.

If you insist of sticking with the Mac, you have two options:
1 - Develop the game with a more general IDE without an RPG maker (probably your best option.)
or
2 - Develop an RPG maker yourself using a more general IDE and then use that to make your RPG (I actually prefer this kind of route... I kind of prefer making apps and utilities for developers over making apps for consumers.)

ianrish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
United States
First contact Nintendo, and pay them 900 Billion $ to license the pokemon gaming rights, (i think the figure is about as low as they would go).

If its just for yourself, and your not going to be letting others play it, the i can suggest the RPG maker on steam, its around £49.99 if not on sale, and is pretty much ideal for this sort of thing.

I am not going to sell it, just play it by myself. :p

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That's not the way it works, though - after a year+ developing your application, the last thing you want to do is play it.

I don't understand when I hear people say things like this. I love all of my apps, especially my games. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't have made them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.