PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean and reinstall all?

purplhrt91
Jul 4, 2013, 10:46 AM
How do I clean and reinstall all software back to original?
Thanks.

Weaselboy
Jul 4, 2013, 10:58 AM
command-r boot to recovery. Start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD then click install. This will give you are fresh install with nothing but the OS on the drive.

HiDEF
Jul 4, 2013, 11:07 AM
command-r boot to recovery. Start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD then click install. This will give you are fresh install with nothing but the OS on the drive.

Can I do this with my new MBA even though the OS came with it; meaning, I don't have a physical copy of it?

NewbieCanada
Jul 4, 2013, 11:14 AM
Can I do this with my new MBA even though the OS came with it; meaning, I don't have a physical copy of it?

Yes. There's a recovery partition you can't access or erase

I have an MBA 11 I'm going to sell. I erased the drive. It was running Mavericks so the recovery wanted to restore that. I used Internet recovery to restore it to Lion and then downloaded Mountain Lion (It was purchased after Mountain Lion was announced and was eligible for the upgrade).

The purchaser will get a fully up-to-date Mountain Lion system with none of my files or purchased software. You can redownload any purchased software through the app store.

HiDEF
Jul 4, 2013, 11:19 AM
Good to know cause I was told Best Buy would do it but I much rather do it myself.

luisito
Jul 5, 2013, 09:55 PM
Good to know cause I was told Best Buy would do it but I much rather do it myself.

I did it myself a couple of days ago. I have AppleCare and they guided me through, it is the easiest thing on earth, 5 minute explanation; I come from Windows and I thought it was going to be difficult.

It took me around 30 minutes to do everything because it downloaded some files from the Apple server, may be the OS? No idea, but it seems like it downloaded something heavy for the installation to take place.

The first reply is the right procedure, but if you still need more help, let me know. I may be of service. :)

HiDEF
Jul 6, 2013, 10:13 AM
I did it myself a couple of days ago. I have AppleCare and they guided me through, it is the easiest thing on earth, 5 minute explanation; I come from Windows and I thought it was going to be difficult.

It took me around 30 minutes to do everything because it downloaded some files from the Apple server, may be the OS? No idea, but it seems like it downloaded something heavy for the installation to take place.

The first reply is the right procedure, but if you still need more help, let me know. I may be of service. :)

Thank you, luisito. Today is my last day to make the final decision whether I'm going to keep the MBA or return for a 13" rMBP so I'll probably try this later.

I was wondering, can I take the ML OS on my MBA and install it on my Mac Mini which is running SL?

B...
Jul 6, 2013, 10:28 AM
Thank you, luisito. Today is my last day to make the final decision whether I'm going to keep the MBA or return for a 13" rMBP so I'll probably try this later.

I was wondering, can I take the ML OS on my MBA and install it on my Mac Mini which is running SL?

Not legally.

HiDEF
Jul 6, 2013, 10:33 AM
Not legally.

Whats up, B...!

So you're saying there's a way ;)

luisito
Jul 6, 2013, 11:01 AM
Whats up, B...!

So you're saying there's a way ;)

Isn't the update 20 bucks? Come on man! :)

I were to be agreeing with you if you were taking about Windows with their ridiculous prices, but Apple software is almost free when compared to Windows premiums.

HiDEF
Jul 6, 2013, 11:05 AM
Isn't the update 20 bucks? Come on man! :)

I were to be agreeing with you if you were taking about Windows with their ridiculous prices, but Apple software is almost free when compared to Windows premiums.

True. I just thought why waste the money when I have it on my MBA.

But, you have a point so I'll be patient and wait for Maverick.

luisito
Jul 6, 2013, 11:18 AM
But, you have a point so I'll be patient and wait for Maverick.

Yup. Maverick looks so promising.

I've been also wanting to purchase iWork, but Apple has fallen behind since there has not been a major release since 2009. I hope the new hype about iWork on iCloud revamps it again.

The thought of installing MS Office on my MBA hurts me. Haha. But there is not much choice after all as it looks.