Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
It's driving me nuts - if I actually quit Safari (Command+Q), I seem to be logged out of all sites the next time I visit them. e.g. I'm logged into MacRumors, Cmd+Q Safari, open it back up, visit MacRumors and I'm logged out.

Why is this? Is there are setting I'm missing? Just converted back from Chrome and can't figure this one out.

Last edited:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Are you set to private browsing? Are cookies set to session cookies only?

No to private browsing.

Not familiar with session cookies only - where can I check this?

I've also disabled all extensions as well. No luck.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What about website tracking? Is that turned on?

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-04%20at%209.13.46%20PM.png

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
With MacRumors, when you log in, do you tick the box to 'Remember me?' What other sites, just as examples, is this affecting?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
With MacRumors, when you log in, do you tick the box to 'Remember me?' What other sites, just as examples, is this affecting?

I was going to ask the same thing. Sites like your bank, or Amazon, or eBay, or other sites where payments are made and the have, even temporarily, you credit card info...usually automatically log out if you exit Safari.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Okay, wow, it's been so long since I've actually logged in manually that I completely overlooked that. That seems to have done the trick.

Now, I'm not completely insane, because what prompted my post is that Flickr is also doing the same, but I believe that is because I'm authenticated through Google and not an actual Yahoo account. Not sure if there is a remedy to this.

Logging into Gmail, etc. itself seems to persist across complete quits.

----------

I was going to ask the same thing. Sites like your bank, or Amazon, or eBay, or other sites where payments are made and the have, even temporarily, you credit card info...usually automatically log out if you exit Safari.

It was the combo of MacRumors and Flickr together that set me off. Seems to be remedied now.

Not sure how to get Flickr to persist using the Google login method, still.

EDIT: It seems to be a well-known issue for Flickr. Thanks everybody! I'll try to be less stupid in the future.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Okay, wow, it's been so long since I've actually logged in manually that I completely overlooked that. That seems to have done the trick.

Now, I'm not completely insane, because what prompted my post is that Flickr is also doing the same, but I believe that is because I'm authenticated through Google and not an actual Yahoo account. Not sure if there is a remedy to this.

Logging into Gmail, etc. itself seems to persist across complete quits.

----------

It was the combo of MacRumors and Flickr together that set me off. Seems to be remedied now.

Not sure how to get Flickr to persist using the Google login method, still.

EDIT: It seems to be a well-known issue for Flickr. Thanks everybody! I'll try to be less stupid in the future.

Glad we were able to help out! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.