PDA

View Full Version : MBA or rMBP (Haswell) for software technology student

kurtdave
Jul 4, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hi. It's been a long time since my last post on this forum.
I'm a second year software technology student on a university. I'm still using my Macbook 7.1 2010 which I got during my high school education(c2d/4gb/gt320m). Now, I'm on a dilemma about buying the MBA 13" Haswell(i7/8gb/256gb) or wait for the rMBP 13"(which i don't know when will it be released).

I'll be using the new macbook for:

Heavy programming (Java/Database/C's/HTML & CSS)
Regular Parallel usage (which is ****** on my 7.1)
Regular use of Adobe Photoshop/Final Cut (not used on this, i do bootcamp on my mac to use Vegas)
Everyday office (Word/Powerpoint)
Mild to little gaming(League of Legends runs perfectly 60fps @ high settings on my current macbook, DOTA2 high with all special effects turned off @ 45fps) I'm wondering if the lost of nVidia built in chip on newer MBPs (w/Intel HD) will remove it's capabilities for gaming :confused:

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :apple:

mattferg
Jul 4, 2013, 09:47 PM
Hi. It's been a long time since my last post on this forum.
I'm a second year software technology student on a university. I'm still using my Macbook 7.1 2010 which I got during my high school education(c2d/4gb/gt320m). Now, I'm on a dilemma about buying the MBA 13" Haswell(i7/8gb/256gb) or wait for the rMBP 13"(which i don't know when will it be released).

I'll be using the new macbook for:

Heavy programming (Java/Database/C's/HTML & CSS)
Regular Parallel usage (which is ****** on my 7.1)
Regular use of Adobe Photoshop/Final Cut (not used on this, i do bootcamp on my mac to use Vegas)
Everyday office (Word/Powerpoint)
Mild to little gaming(League of Legends runs perfectly 60fps @ high settings on my current macbook, DOTA2 high with all special effects turned off @ 45fps) I'm wondering if the lost of nVidia built in chip on newer MBPs (w/Intel HD) will remove it's capabilities for gaming :confused:

Don't get the i7 unless you definitely have the money to burn, I don't think it's worth it. If you're not sure just wait for the new rMBP

PDFierro
Jul 4, 2013, 10:23 PM
Don't get the i7 unless you definitely have the money to burn, I don't think it's worth it. If you're not sure just wait for the new rMBP

So why are you continually suggesting that people don't get the i7? Just because you don't think it's worth it doesn't mean others think the same way or wouldn't benefit from it.

falconeight
Jul 4, 2013, 10:36 PM
If you can deal with the base MBA its worth it and will work for you. If your going to upgrade processor, ram, and sad then weigh your options with the retina because the price will be close.

NewbieCanada
Jul 4, 2013, 10:41 PM

Both will run rings around your current MB. So ask yourself some questions:

1. Does the price difference matter to me (assume the rMBP will be the same as now or $100 cheaper)

2. Size and weight - MBA has a distinct advantage

3. Graohics and screen - rMBP has a distinct advantage.

4. Battery life - MBA will probably have an advantage, but the rMBP will be better than anything else. Probably 9 or 10 hours

kurtdave
Jul 4, 2013, 10:57 PM

i need the i7's processing power because i'm doing Vegas or maybe Final Cut (totally newb). Does the i5 and i7 mba doesn't boost any difference? Not noticeable?

Both will run rings around your current MB. So ask yourself some questions:

1. Does the price difference matter to me (assume the rMBP will be the same as now or $100 cheaper)

2. Size and weight - MBA has a distinct advantage

3. Graohics and screen - rMBP has a distinct advantage.

4. Battery life - MBA will probably have an advantage, but the rMBP will be better than anything else. Probably 9 or 10 hours

Thanks for the tip. I can spend up to $1600, i consider my current macbook's weight 4.7 lbs (2.13 kg) HEAVY. Definitely i need the graphics and screen advantage of rMBP. <5 hours battery life will do.

osofast240sx
Jul 5, 2013, 08:04 AM
i need the i7's processing power because i'm doing Vegas or maybe Final Cut (totally newb). Does the i5 and i7 mba doesn't boost any difference? Not noticeable?

Thanks for the tip. I can spend up to $1600, i consider my current macbook's weight 4.7 lbs (2.13 kg) HEAVY. Definitely i need the graphics and screen advantage of rMBP. <5 hours battery life will do.
Technology student using Final Cut Pro, please wait for the rMBP.

kurtdave
Jul 5, 2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone, I finally made up my decision and that is to wait for rMBP haswell. One last question, is the Iris graphics better than my mb's gt320m?