PDA

View Full Version : Help! Apple TV performance issues

rrmoore73
Jul 5, 2013, 12:00 AM
I'm not tech savvy and I am lost when it comes to my AppleTv.
A) when I stream Pandora from my iPhone or iPad through my Apple TV, it pauses randomly.
B) as I'm currently watching a show through Netflix, the show is is pixelated and buffers at times
C) if I download a movie from iTunes it literally takes 23 hours to download, which is comical because I have 24 hours to watch it.

I have the most recent Atv and even returned my prior one, assuming was wrong with it and causing these problems. Then I assumed it was my wifi (I have Verizon fits), so I upgraded to a 'faster package'.
Then today. When I simply tried to stream a song I have ON my iPhone through the Atv, it even randomly played the music.
Please help. What is the problem?
My Atv, my router, my wifi?
Thanks in advance.

Che Castro
Jul 5, 2013, 12:22 AM
Run a speed test on speedtest.net and post the results here

http://www.speedtest.net/

rrmoore73
Jul 5, 2013, 12:47 AM
Done

Ping 14ms
Download 27mbps
Upload 23.8 Mbps

Run a speed test on speedtest.net and post the results here

http://www.speedtest.net/

bucksaddle
Jul 5, 2013, 02:13 AM
Then I assumed it was my wifi (I have Verizon fits), so I upgraded to a 'faster package'.

Upgrading to a "faster package" from Verizon will have no affect on your Wi-Fi speeds and from what you have posted it does sound like your Wi-Fi is an issue. Can you plug the Apple TV directly into your router with an Ethernet cable - this would be the first troubleshooting test.

if I download a movie from iTunes it literally takes 23 hours to download, which is comical because I have 24 hours to watch it.

You have 30 days to watch the movie until you hit play - once you have done that then you have 24 hours to finish watching it.

Julien
Jul 5, 2013, 06:04 AM
...My Atv, my router, my wifi?
Thanks in advance.

Is your ATV connected by WiFi and if so is it in (or surrounded by) a metal case or rack?

Also haw far and how many/type walls separates the ATV from your WiFi router and is your WiFi router an n?

phr0ze
Jul 5, 2013, 08:37 AM
Wifi issues for sure. I hard wire all my streaming boxes.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 5, 2013, 11:10 AM
You can try changing the channel your router operates on for Wi-Fi to help avoid interference.

Is the router adequately cooled? Don't box it in and stack other electronics on it which will cause a dramatic heat increase and adversely affect performance.

Lastly, if you can, try and connect the ATV to your router with a hardwire connection, Ethernet, and see what you get in performance.

mic j
Jul 5, 2013, 12:32 PM
You can try changing the channel your router operates on for Wi-Fi to help avoid interference.

I'll second that. I was getting interruption when airplaying iTunes music to my Airport Express (which was using wifi for communication with the AEBS). I went through every wifi channel, recording the S/N, which I have to say varied only slightly. Chose the lowest S/N and have not had a stutter since. I have to admit that it surprised me that it worked as well as it has.

rrmoore73
Jul 5, 2013, 11:14 PM
Hello.
Sorry, what's the S/N and where would I get that information?
Also, people have suggested using an Ethernet cable. As my router is on the other side of the room,then it's not practical. Also, isn't the whole idea is for all this stuff to work wirelessly. Isn't that what we are striving and paying all this money for?

I'll second that. I was getting interruption when airplaying iTunes music to my Airport Express (which was using wifi for communication with the AEBS). I went through every wifi channel, recording the S/N, which I have to say varied only slightly. Chose the lowest S/N and have not had a stutter since. I have to admit that it surprised me that it worked as well as it has.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 6, 2013, 06:12 AM
Hello.
Sorry, what's the S/N and where would I get that information?
Also, people have suggested using an Ethernet cable. As my router is on the other side of the room,then it's not practical. Also, isn't the whole idea is for all this stuff to work wirelessly. Isn't that what we are striving and paying all this money for?

It may not be practical for you, but you could do it temporarily as a means of testing to find out what the problem is.

As for paying for wireless, no that's not the object of these products, it's just one of many features. When I can, I use Ethernet for all my stuff as its by far more stable and faster than a wireless connection. The only things I have on wireless are the iPhone, iPad and Nintendo Wii, because they do not have Ethernet ports.

slothrob
Jul 7, 2013, 05:52 PM
Also, people have suggested using an Ethernet cable. As my router is on the other side of the room,then it's not practical. Also, isn't the whole idea is for all this stuff to work wirelessly. Isn't that what we are striving and paying all this money for?The aTV works well through wifi, that's how mine is connected, but it is small, has a small antenna, and has little tollerance for interference since it is sending a dense file. In addition to the other suggestions, move it away from things like cable boxes whose electronics can generate a radio signal or act as insulation against radio transmission. I had stuttering on Netflix and moving my aTV from next to my cable box to the empty shelf above it resolved the problem.

Out of curiosity, were you using the iPad to stream Netflix, or were you using the aTV to access Netflix directly?

SandboxGeneral
Jul 7, 2013, 05:57 PM
I had stuttering on Netflix and moving my aTV from next to my cable box to the empty shelf above it resolved the problem.

That's interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind in case I ever use the ATV on wireless again or someone else is having problems. Thanks for that. :)

slothrob
Jul 7, 2013, 06:32 PM
That's interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind in case I ever use the ATV on wireless again or someone else is having problems. Thanks for that. :)
My wifi performance is borderline enough that I will still have pausing once every month or two, but it used to be nearly every night. Airplay was and is hardly ever a problem, since it buffers.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 7, 2013, 07:16 PM
My wifi performance is borderline enough that I will still have pausing once every month or two, but it used to be nearly every night. Airplay was and is hardly ever a problem, since it buffers.

Is your router close enough you could use Ethernet?

slothrob
Jul 8, 2013, 05:10 AM
Is your router close enough you could use Ethernet?
Not where the router is. I could move it closer, but I wanted to see if I could get wifi working reliably, before I moved it, since it is nicely out of sight (which I assume doesn't help things, since it has to go through 2 plaster walls with wire lathe that probably comes close to creating a Faraday cage). Any Netflix glitches are rare enough that I'm not really considering moving the router, anymore. For HD iTunes content I sometimes pause it for a minute at the beginning to allow it to buffer, just as insurance.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 8, 2013, 05:20 AM
Not where the router is. I could move it closer, but I wanted to see if I could get wifi working reliably, before I moved it, since it is nicely out of sight (which I assume doesn't help things, since it has to go through 2 plaster walls with wire lathe that probably comes close to creating a Faraday cage). Any Netflix glitches are rare enough that I'm not really considering moving the router, anymore. For HD iTunes content I sometimes pause it for a minute at the beginning to allow it to buffer, just as insurance.

Alrighty then. I thought maybe since the modem was right there, that the router would be too. If its working well enough for you, and you're happy with it, that's what counts. :)

tgara
Jul 8, 2013, 12:27 PM
Some Apple TV units are known to have Wifi issues. Apple is aware of the problem and has issued a replacement program.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/15/apple-initiates-replacement-program-for-3rd-generation-apple-tvs-with-wifi-connectivity-issues/

SandboxGeneral
Jul 8, 2013, 03:38 PM
Some Apple TV units are known to have Wifi issues. Apple is aware of the problem and has issued a replacement program.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/15/apple-initiates-replacement-program-for-3rd-generation-apple-tvs-with-wifi-connectivity-issues/

I was fortunate to have a couple of ATV's that were not affected by this and have been quite pleased with their performance.

tgara
Jul 8, 2013, 05:44 PM
I was fortunate to have a couple of ATV's that were not affected by this and have been quite pleased with their performance.

Yes, I just picked one up myself and the SN is nowhere near the ones listed. I'm looking forward to using it soon.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 8, 2013, 06:00 PM
Yes, I just picked one up myself and the SN is nowhere near the ones listed. I'm looking forward to using it soon.

Although, I may not have noticed, if it weren't for this news story, because I use my ATV's with Ethernet! :p

BeKure
Jul 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
Although, I may not have noticed, if it weren't for this news story, because I use my ATV's with Ethernet! :p

Interesting. My ATV is hard wired and I have a host of buffering issues at least a few times a day. It's VERY frustrating.
I called Apple customer support and was told that they are not honoring any exchange policy for ATV's with "so called" Wifi issues. I spent $100 on this thing and I am frustrated with its performance. I have it mounted behind my 50" HDTV which is also wall mounted.

darster
Jul 8, 2013, 10:18 PM
I would have never known mine was one of the models with those serial numbers. However, I have mine wired and have not had any problems and have never tested via wifi. Since I plan to keep all my streaming devices hardwired, i will just keep it. My Roku 2 in my bedroom has a horrible wifi reception. I have the new TC, and all my other wifi devices such as iphone and ipad, have DL speeds over 50 Mbs is my bedroom, while the Roku 2 can only eek out 3 or 4 Mbs, unless I move the Roku away from tv and close to the door, and then i can squeeze out 15 Mbs.

BeKure
Jul 8, 2013, 10:49 PM
I would have never known mine was one of the models with those serial numbers. However, I have mine wired and have not had any problems and have never tested via wifi. Since I plan to keep all my streaming devices hardwired, i will just keep it. My Roku 2 in my bedroom has a horrible wifi reception. I have the new TC, and all my other wifi devices such as iphone and ipad, have DL speeds over 50 Mbs is my bedroom, while the Roku 2 can only eek out 3 or 4 Mbs, unless I move the Roku away from tv and close to the door, and then i can squeeze out 15 Mbs.

Tell me something. How do you know for a fact that your device actually recognizes that a Ethernet cable is connected to it? Is there conformation in the setting menu?
In the settings, my ATV displays a signal strength which doesn't make any sense to me bring that it's hard wired. Does your state the same thing?

darster
Jul 9, 2013, 12:14 AM
Tell me something. How do you know for a fact that your device actually recognizes that a Ethernet cable is connected to it? Is there conformation in the setting menu?
In the settings, my ATV displays a signal strength which doesn't make any sense to me bring that it's hard wired. Does your state the same thing?

Because when I go into settings, network, it shows an Ethernet address. Plus I never set it up to use wifi.
Also when I click on About, it shows ethernet address instead of signal strength.

JGRE
Jul 9, 2013, 02:19 AM
Done

Ping 14ms
Download 27mbps
Upload 23.8 Mbps

It might not be the WiFi speed between you and your provider but the wifi speed of your home network (internally).

SandboxGeneral
Jul 9, 2013, 06:01 AM

The ATV will default to Ethernet over WiFi when it detects a cable is plugged in and if I recall correctly, when it sees the cable, te WiFi settings options disappear.

BeKure
Jul 9, 2013, 08:01 AM
Well if that's the case then something is wrong with my ATV or either the Ethernet cable. I will try swapping out the cable when I get home from work to narrow down the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SandboxGeneral
Jul 9, 2013, 08:40 AM
Well if that's the case then something is wrong with my ATV or either the Ethernet cable. I will try swapping out the cable when I get home from work to narrow down the problem.

Another thing to check for is excessive heat. Since you have it mounted to the back of the TV and that is up on the wall, is there enough air circulating back there?

BeKure
Jul 9, 2013, 08:54 AM
Another thing to check for is excessive heat. Since you have it mounted to the back of the TV and that is up on the wall, is there enough air circulating back there?

Yeah there's plenty of space for adequate airflow behind the TV. I will check to see if the ATV is hot to the touch though just to be sure.

Legios
Jul 9, 2013, 10:24 AM
Never had a Plasma, do they get warm? Have you tried unmounting the ATV and moving it to see if the problem persists? sometimes just changing the layout of your setup can fix things.

Khloe
Jul 9, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hey thanks all, you've just helped me out for sure. I am not tech savvy at all. So frustrating, I've been having problems with my appletv and i'm kinda regretting buying it in the first place. It's either I'm too dumb for this stuff or they need to have a warning label before you buy you need to be tech savvy like all of you smarties.

I'm going to get my brother to come over and get him to fiddle with some of the things you guys have suggested, lets hope I finally get it sorted!

Thx again ;)

SandboxGeneral
Jul 9, 2013, 12:31 PM
Hey thanks all, you've just helped me out for sure. I am not tech savvy at all. So frustrating, I've been having problems with my appletv and i'm kinda regretting buying it in the first place. It's either I'm too dumb for this stuff or they need to have a warning label before you buy you need to be tech savvy like all of you smarties.

I'm going to get my brother to come over and get him to fiddle with some of the things you guys have suggested, lets hope I finally get it sorted!

Thx again ;)

What kind of problem are you having with it?

BeKure
Jul 9, 2013, 04:02 PM

Ok the ATV is warm to the touch but not warm enough to cause concern. Thanks for the suggestion.

BeKure
Jul 9, 2013, 05:31 PM
Ok I replaced the ethernet cord on that was connected to the ATV and the new ethernet cable is recognized by my ATV.
No more WiFi signal bars in the "About" menu. I displays the Ethernet Address now instead :-)
Turns out that a faulty Ethernet cable was at least part of the problem.
I hope this eliminates the serious buffering issue I was having. Thanks for the help guys.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 10, 2013, 05:37 AM
Ok the ATV is warm to the touch but not warm enough to cause concern. Thanks for the suggestion.

Warm is okay, but decidedly hot is usually not good. It sounds like heat isn't a concern in your case.

Ok I replaced the ethernet cord on that was connected to the ATV and the new ethernet cable is recognized by my ATV.
No more WiFi signal bars in the "About" menu. I displays the Ethernet Address now instead :-)
Turns out that a faulty Ethernet cable was at least part of the problem.
I hope this eliminates the serious buffering issue I was having. Thanks for the help guys.

Its rare that an Ethernet cable goes bad unless there is physical damage to it, but it does happen. Hopefully this will solve the issue and it was an easy fix.

BeKure
Jul 10, 2013, 05:43 AM
Warm is okay, but decidedly hot is usually not good. It sounds like heat isn't a concern in your case.

Its rare that an Ethernet cable goes bad unless there is physical damage to it, but it does happen. Hopefully this will solve the issue and it was an easy fix.

After examining the cable, I saw there was in fact physical damage to it without a doubt.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 10, 2013, 05:48 AM
After examining the cable, I saw there was in fact physical damage to it without a doubt.

Well in that case, chances are all of your problems should be solved! :)

BeKure
Jul 10, 2013, 09:39 AM
Well in that case, chances are all of your problems should be solved! :)

Media on my ATV has been loading significantly faster since replacing the cable yesterday. I have not witnessed any buffering since then.
AirPlay has been seamlessly smooth. It's like a dream. So far, it is a night and day difference.

MacAddictMXMXC
Jul 11, 2013, 09:16 AM
My latest edition in a chain of ATVs since its inception has now rendered itself inoperable in such a manner that both Apple and myself are being short-changed. I am unable to rent a movie and view it within a reasonable amount of time as experienced previously since it can now take as long as 24 hours or more to reach the point where the ATV states the movie is ready to be viewed. During this time I am subjected to a ridiculous performance of the ATV providing the amount of time it will take before I will be able to view the movie which can range from 5,250 hours to 2 minutes sprinkled intermittently in between with other ludicrous times. Of course after a while you are forced to scrub the whole idea and revert to viewing Live TV. My ATV is positioned in exactly the same place as its three predecessors. My Home Theatre in the basement, where it is located, is two stories below where all my other Apple computer equipment happens to be and so I am forced to rely on Wi-Fi. I should mention that it didn't perform in this manner at first. Any suggestions as to how I should deal with this ? Thanks.

dmcdayton
Jul 11, 2013, 09:46 AM
I've seen dramatic improvements just moving a device a few inches in any direction. If you haven't reset its firmware, do that first (through the menu).

MacAddictMXMXC
Jul 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
I've seen dramatic improvements just moving a device a few inches in any direction. If you haven't reset its firmware, do that first (through the menu).

Thanks, I most certainly will give both a try.

macleod199
Jul 11, 2013, 11:50 AM
My latest edition in a chain of ATVs since its inception has now rendered itself inoperable in such a manner that both Apple and myself are being short-changed. I am unable to rent a movie and view it within a reasonable amount of time as experienced previously since it can now take as long as 24 hours or more to reach the point where the ATV states the movie is ready to be viewed. During this time I am subjected to a ridiculous performance of the ATV providing the amount of time it will take before I will be able to view the movie which can range from 5,250 hours to 2 minutes sprinkled intermittently in between with other ludicrous times. Of course after a while you are forced to scrub the whole idea and revert to viewing Live TV. My ATV is positioned in exactly the same place as its three predecessors. My Home Theatre in the basement, where it is located, is two stories below where all my other Apple computer equipment happens to be and so I am forced to rely on Wi-Fi. I should mention that it didn't perform in this manner at first. Any suggestions as to how I should deal with this ? Thanks.

As a comment to both you and the original poster, there are several other things that can affect your WiFi performance, other than just the relative positioning of the router and the AppleTV:

1) More and/or slower devices connected to your router. In general, the more devices that are actively transmitting on your network, the lower performance you will get on each device (newer routers with beamforming notwithstanding). This is particularly the case if some of the devices only support older standards (802.11g, or especially 802.11b), or newer devices in an arere where they are getting poor reception. In general, these devices are going to take up more airtime to transmit the same amount of data, so they have a disproportionate effect on the network (as they can basically force all the devices to use a lower rate). I rarely have problems with my AppleTV connection, but when I do it's often because there's an old laptop on in the back room slowing down the overall rate.

2) Interference from neighbouring devices. Especially if you're in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, there's potential for interference from neighbouring homes, microwaves, cordless phones, etc. As other posters have mentioned, check your signal to noise ratio.

3) Weather. Moisture absorbs EM, particularly at 2.4 GHz - that's how microwave ovens work.

Matt

MacAddictMXMXC
Jul 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
Well, I'm becoming convinced that the crux of the matter is in the ATV3 itself, purchased in Nov/2012. I found the software to be "up to date." I repositioned it around quite a bit, more than just a few inches, and the actual performance of the ATV remained the same. All three cables were checked, unplugged and re-plugged. I am unable to even view the Previews in a normal manner. Unlike before, when clicking on a movie to preview it now enters the "Accessing the Store" for a minute or two and that for a preview lasting only 1 minute and six seconds. When it finally appears, whereas before it would open there and then, it now shows a white coloured progress bar that hardly moves at all,( similar to the downloading a rental movie I experienced, but will never open even if you should wait until it completes its progress which takes an inordinate amount of time. It is most unlikely that I would care to venture renting a movie again under these circumstances. Incidentally, I have now been using the new Airport Extreme 802.11/ac for ten days now, but it should be remembered that no such adverse circumstances prevailed during the operation of the two prior ATVs nor this one until recently.

mic j
Jul 11, 2013, 01:21 PM
Well, I'm becoming convinced that the crux of the matter is in the ATV3 itself, purchased in Nov/2012. I found the software to be "up to date." I repositioned it around quite a bit, more than just a few inches, and the actual performance of the ATV remained the same. All three cables were checked, unplugged and re-plugged. I am unable to even view the Previews in a normal manner. Unlike before, when clicking on a movie to preview it now enters the "Accessing the Store" for a minute or two and that for a preview lasting only 1 minute and six seconds. When it finally appears, whereas before it would open there and then, it now shows a white coloured progress bar that hardly moves at all,( similar to the downloading a rental movie I experienced, but will never open even if you should wait until it completes its progress which takes an inordinate amount of time. It is most unlikely that I would care to venture renting a movie again under these circumstances. Incidentally, I have now been using the new Airport Extreme 802.11/ac for ten days now, but it should be remembered that no such adverse circumstances prevailed during the operation of the two prior ATVs nor this one until recently.

So has this been just going on since you started using the new AEBS?

BeKure
Jul 11, 2013, 03:37 PM

WiFi worked like utter crap for me. I replaced my Ethernet cable and now my Living Room ATV works great. Videos load up fast and AirPlay is amazing.
I do have another ATV in the upstairs master bedroom which is connected via WiFi and its performance is so-so.
My router is downstairs in the living room so the only option I have in terms of achieving optimal performance with the ATV located upstairs is to drill holes and run ethernet cable behind the walls or I could utilize some type of cord concealer like I did with my living room setup. I like my setup to look neat so I would go with one of the two if I were you.

mic j
Jul 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
WiFi worked like utter crap for me. I replaced my Ethernet cable and now my Living Room ATV works great. Videos load up fast and AirPlay is amazing.
I do have another ATV in the upstairs master bedroom which is connected via WiFi and its performance is so-so.
My router is downstairs in the living room so the only option I have in terms of achieving optimal performance with the ATV located upstairs is to drill holes and run ethernet cable behind the walls or I could utilize some type of cord concealer like I did with my living room setup. I like my setup to look neat so I would go with one of the two if I were you.

Where is your router located (living room, basement, upstairs, etc)? What type of router do you use?

BeKure
Jul 11, 2013, 04:30 PM
Where is your router located (living room, basement, upstairs, etc)? What type of router do you use?

It is located in my living room. I use the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router. It's the best router I have ever owned hands down.

http://amzn.com/B006QB1RPY

mic j
Jul 11, 2013, 05:24 PM
It is located in my living room. I use the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router. It's the best router I have ever owned hands down.

http://amzn.com/B006QB1RPY

Well, not sure why you are having wifi problem with the aTV so near the router. I have an Airport Extreme Base Station in the next room to my aTV and my MBP running iTunes on a different floor of the house (so signal has to go through a wall and a floor) and I have never had any kind of wifi issue. Where is your computer running iTunes located?

BeKure
Jul 11, 2013, 05:31 PM
Well, not sure why you are having wifi problem with the aTV so near the router. I have an Airport Extreme Base Station in the next room to my aTV and my MBP running iTunes on a different floor of the house (so signal has to go through a wall and a floor) and I have never had any kind of wifi issue. Where is your computer running iTunes located?

The computer is right beside the router. I also have the following devices on my network, 3 iPhones, 1 iPod, 1 iPad, WiFi Printer, Blue-ray Player, 1 PC and 2 ATV's (1 of the ATV's is connected via Ethernet as well as the PC).
For what it's worth, all iPhones, iPad, and iPod work great when steaming/browsing via WiFi.
The upstairs ATV works "ok" via WiFi. It does buffer more than I would like it to, but not as bad as the living room ATV did before I swapped out the faulty cable.

MacAddictMXMXC
Jul 12, 2013, 12:02 AM
Contacted AppleCare this afternoon and the technician asked me immediately to perform Speed Tests on both the upstairs iMac and the HT's Mac mini. Turns out that the downstair's was using the amazingly slower of the two. Using the Network, which had to be set up by another Apple Tech when I first installed the Airport Extreme 802.11/ac, was producing speeds in excess of 17Mbps, which incidentally took him ages to complete. After the downstair's ATV was added to that same Network, its signal strength also climbed to >17Mbps and all the problems associated with the ATV3 were resolved. I'm still at a loss to reason why the ATV3 began to perform as it did in March for no actual changes were ever made to its setup to bring about its errant behaviour. Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my problem.

phr0ze
Jul 15, 2013, 08:03 AM
Contacted AppleCare this afternoon and the technician asked me immediately to perform Speed Tests on both the upstairs iMac and the HT's Mac mini. Turns out that the downstair's was using the amazingly slower of the two. Using the Network, which had to be set up by another Apple Tech when I first installed the Airport Extreme 802.11/ac, was producing speeds in excess of 17Mbps, which incidentally took him ages to complete. After the downstair's ATV was added to that same Network, its signal strength also climbed to >17Mbps and all the problems associated with the ATV3 were resolved. I'm still at a loss to reason why the ATV3 began to perform as it did in March for no actual changes were ever made to its setup to bring about its errant behaviour. Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my problem.

Wireless is subject to all kinds of problems. I figured out that my wireless suffered when I turned on the lights. Turns out the LED EcoSmart bulbs at home depot cause craploads of intererence. I had 15 of these bulbs! Once I discovered it I unscrewed all the bulbs and my signal improved drastically. If I would screw in any 1 of the 15 bulbs my wifi sucked and my TV antenna would also go out.

Point being, there are lots of things that can interfere with wifi. If you are noticing intermittent signal drops, try making sure absolutely everything else in the house is off, including lights, then go around turning things on 1 by 1 until you see a signal drop.