PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile corner

Tulani
Jul 5, 2013, 03:04 AM
I have thought of coming up with a thread that has all to do with top of the range sound production. Be it hardware or software that you have had experience with to reproduce that bombastic audio quality that any enthusiast would crave to share.

What app are you using? What setup do you have? What Mac hardware in combination with your hifi are you jamming on?

Come out all you music lovers and lets share.

ChrisA
Jul 5, 2013, 09:29 PM
I have thought of coming up with a thread that has all to do with top of the range sound production. Be it hardware or software that you have had experience with to reproduce that bombastic audio quality that any enthusiast would crave to share.

What app are you using? What setup do you have? What Mac hardware in combination with your hifi are you jamming on?

You kind o have to split it up. It this for a living room, studio, workstation or headphones?

Most the "sound system" in going to be completely independent of the computer. It comes down to an amplifier and speakers.

Tulani
Jul 5, 2013, 11:38 PM
You kind o have to split it up. It this for a living room, studio, workstation or headphones?

Most the "sound system" in going to be completely independent of the computer. It comes down to an amplifier and speakers.

I was thinking being specific might end up limiting to other people? Thanks

spoonie1972
Jul 7, 2013, 10:44 AM
Being specific will help.

Some people here think everything is junk that doesnt have Dynaudio, Genelec, Focal or Barefoot written on it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Tulani
Jul 7, 2013, 11:20 AM
Ok let's go workstation at least to encompass some apple hardware

ChrisA
Jul 7, 2013, 12:52 PM
Ok let's go workstation at least to encompass some apple hardware

OK workstation topics..

Audio is not very taxing of a computer. The Mini or any current Mac works fine. But you quickly run out of screen space if you are doing any editing. I find it hard to see the time line on my 13" MBP. My 27" iMac is just perfect. But as for sound, any current Mac is fine. I can do many tracks (some layered MIDI) on the MBP.

One question for 'y'all is this: Is there a better sounding Guitar Amp simulator than NI's "Amplitube". Yes I know it is not nearly as nice as a real amp. (I've built a few tube amps, nothing compares to the real thing but late nights people complain.)

----------

Being specific will help.
Some people here think everything is junk that doesnt have Dynaudio, Genelec, Focal or Barefoot written on it.

OK, I'll be different. I think how you set up the speakers matters more than the brand of speaker, assuming you have something decent, that is.

The other side of thaat same coin is that it is a wast of money to buy $1000 speakers set them on the carpet on the floor in the corner or something like that. You want to try everything under the sun before finally going with the high end speakers. But many people seam to have more money than sense.

Tulani
Jul 7, 2013, 11:02 PM
An Apple TV integrated with a descent home theater seems a very good solution and eliminates cable and speaker clutter near the workstation as you stream your audio content wirelessly.

ChrisA
Jul 8, 2013, 01:07 PM
An Apple TV integrated with a descent home theater seems a very good solution and eliminates cable and speaker clutter near the workstation as you stream your audio content wirelessly.

I ask this only because of the thread title: Can an HT system also be good for music?

Many HT systems depend on small front speakers backed up by a sub woofer and sound "boomy" at best and seem to be tuned be movie sound tracks. I guess you could build a hybrid system.

bill-p
Jul 9, 2013, 03:13 PM
OK, I'll be different. I think how you set up the speakers matters more than the brand of speaker, assuming you have something decent, that is.

The other side of thaat same coin is that it is a wast of money to buy $1000 speakers set them on the carpet on the floor in the corner or something like that. You want to try everything under the sun before finally going with the high end speakers. But many people seam to have more money than sense.

Yep. Room acoustic plays an obscenely important role in sound reproduction when it comes to speakers.

$25 speakers that I pick up at the Flea Market can sound better in the right room... than a $1000 pair of speakers set in a corner of some random room.

That's why if all else fails, I think the better C.O.A. is to go headphones for high fidelity... until you own a house with enough space (and permission from your significant other) to construct a dedicated listening room.

And then going headphones is a whole different ball game. Room acoustic is no longer important (except for too much ambient noise), but driver tuning, housing acoustic (oh yeah, wood or metal does make a difference), amplification, source fidelity, along with all of the other things now make or break the experience. And even then, you still wouldn't get the sense of space and depth that speakers can produce. True 3D sound projection with headphones is a lot harder to achieve than with speakers.

Irishman
Jul 10, 2013, 09:08 AM

I think that this is a great idea, and I'm all for it!

If there's one thing that audio enthusiasts share, it's the constant need to upgrade. I think there would be some interest in seeing not only what setups we have now, but also upgrades we're considering or have in the pipeline.

For me, I'm running the new late 2012 21.5" iMac, and connected an old pair of Bose Companion 2 series 2s. I know. Bose isn't audiophile grade, but this is where the upgrade angle comes in.

My next purchases for this system will be:

A pair of Audioengine A5+s
An Audioquest Dragonfly asynchronous DAC
A copy of Audirvana for playback of my growing collection of FLAC and ALAC files.

Much later will be a pair of Beyerdynamics DT1350 on-ears. A couple of forum members here turned me onto them, and I'm glad they did.

Wardenski
Jul 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
I currently use my Mac Pro for stereo music (via optical) and it sounds good but I use a surround sound amplifier for this. The EQ system is not ideal for stereo in my situation since I watch movies at a different position to listening to music.

I use a creative soundcard for gaming too, also via optical on the card but processing in the card fudges the stereo sound - I can switch the processing off but I can't be bothered to switch modes.

I use Q Acoustic 1020i, 1010i and matching centre speaker in addition to a BK Electronics xls 200 subwoofer. It sounds great, probably better than any system offered by logitech etc. Its far from high-end though.

My dream would be to use what I have indefinately for playing games and would invest in a new, much larger system for movie and music listening but this won't be happening until I settle in one place.

I would love some ATC SCM50ASLs but they are about 12,000 a pair...

Tulani
Jul 11, 2013, 11:50 AM
And which app is thumping up your system?

Wardenski
Jul 11, 2013, 05:56 PM

Mine? The sound comes straight from the games via the soundcard. I use iTunes to play music, usually in Apple Lossless format.

I watch movies using a dedicated Blu-ray player.

ChrisA
Jul 16, 2013, 01:52 AM

Apple airport express that drives a 1970's vintage Luxman amplifier. My Infinity Quantum speakers are "in the shop" so I've got some Polk M70 I've moved into their place. The M70 sounds good, especially for the money.

Also use AKG K240 studio headphones on a Prosunus "firebox"

fa8362
Jul 16, 2013, 07:57 AM
I think that this is a great idea, and I'm all for it!

If there's one thing that audio enthusiasts share, it's the constant need to upgrade. I think there would be some interest in seeing not only what setups we have now, but also upgrades we're considering or have in the pipeline.

For me, I'm running the new late 2012 21.5" iMac, and connected an old pair of Bose Companion 2 series 2s. I know. Bose isn't audiophile grade, but this is where the upgrade angle comes in.

My next purchases for this system will be:

A pair of Audioengine A5+s
An Audioquest Dragonfly asynchronous DAC
A copy of Audirvana for playback of my growing collection of FLAC and ALAC files.

Much later will be a pair of Beyerdynamics DT1350 on-ears. A couple of forum members here turned me onto them, and I'm glad they did.

The Audioengine A5+ is a stupid good deal. Don't know about Audioquest, but I'd guess you're paying extra for the brand name. If I were you, I'd look into Audioengine's DAC. Audirvana playback software is another stupid good deal.

Irishman
Jul 16, 2013, 04:50 PM
The Audioengine A5+ is a stupid good deal. Don't know about Audioquest, but I'd guess you're paying extra for the brand name. If I were you, I'd look into Audioengine's DAC. Audirvana playback software is another stupid good deal.

As my only previous exposure to Audioquest had been their overpriced HDMI cables, I was suspicious as well! Some web research quickly put my concerns to rest. As far as USB PC DACs go, it really is the "value DAC" (yes, you read that right) to beat at the moment. It's won several awards for its price/performance ratio, and ease of use. You plug it into your Mac, then your favorite set of quality cans or powered speakers, configure a couple settings in OSX, and you're good to go.

How good a value is it? It's $249!! Yes, from AQ, the brand that knows no product it can't overprice. Check out the variety of reviews over the web from pro reviewers and joe-audiophiles on Youtube, and you'll learn like I did, this is an amazing piece of kit, certainly NOT overpriced for the audio quality you get.

Tulani
Jul 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
I am thinking of getting an iPad 120Gig exclusively to use as my iPod for media streaming via Apple TV. I have tones of music and this interface looks more user friendly. Your thoughts?

fa8362
Jul 18, 2013, 02:46 PM
As my only previous exposure to Audioquest had been their overpriced HDMI cables, I was suspicious as well! Some web research quickly put my concerns to rest. As far as USB PC DACs go, it really is the "value DAC" (yes, you read that right) to beat at the moment. It's won several awards for its price/performance ratio, and ease of use. You plug it into your Mac, then your favorite set of quality cans or powered speakers, configure a couple settings in OSX, and you're good to go.

How good a value is it? It's $249!! Yes, from AQ, the brand that knows no product it can't overprice. Check out the variety of reviews over the web from pro reviewers and joe-audiophiles on Youtube, and you'll learn like I did, this is an amazing piece of kit, certainly NOT overpriced for the audio quality you get.

From what I read about it when I was in the market for a DAC, it has the type of sound that I would almost certainly detest.

Irishman
Jul 18, 2013, 07:14 PM
From what I read about it when I was in the market for a DAC, it has the type of sound that I would almost certainly detest.

Which part of its sound??

ChrisA
Jul 19, 2013, 06:40 PM
..How good a value is it? It's $249!! Yes, from AQ, the brand that knows no product it can't overprice. Check out the variety of reviews over the web from pro reviewers and joe-audiophiles on Youtube, and you'll learn like I did, this is an amazing piece of kit, certainly NOT overpriced for the audio quality you get.

Save $100 and just get the Presonus audio interface. I've never heard one person complain about it. It is certainly NOT over priced. It is a well built bit of pro quality gear. And do check out the video where they run a truck over the box and it still works.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB/

It has a good input section. You need that too, how else are you going to measure you speakers and room? Get a measurement microphone.
This is the best price I've seen
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-801
It is sold under many brand names but this one is $50 less.

DOn't shop in store that cater to "stereophiles" that are overpriced. Look for the stores that sell to audio professionals, recording engineers and musicians.

Irishman
Jul 20, 2013, 07:56 AM
Save $100 and just get the Presonus audio interface. I've never heard one person complain about it. It is certainly NOT over priced. It is a well built bit of pro quality gear. And do check out the video where they run a truck over the box and it still works.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB/

It has a good input section. You need that too, how else are you going to measure you speakers and room? Get a measurement microphone.
This is the best price I've seen
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-801
It is sold under many brand names but this one is $50 less.

DOn't shop in store that cater to "stereophiles" that are overpriced. Look for the stores that sell to audio professionals, recording engineers and musicians.

From what I've been able to gather, the PreSonus AudioBox USB is more of a recording/mixing/playback device for musicians. It's not designed to playback high-bit rate lossless music files like the AQ Dragonfly is. Two completely different animals.

fa8362
Jul 20, 2013, 10:52 AM
Which part of its sound??

All of it, but mostly the upper midrange and treble.

"timbrally more vivid"

"The slightly hard edge to the sound can become tiring"

"The upper registers are slightly forward"

"it would lie in the lighter and leaner weight class as compared to other weightier presentations."

Irishman
Jul 20, 2013, 11:55 AM
All of it, but mostly the upper midrange and treble.

"timbrally more vivid"

"The slightly hard edge to the sound can become tiring"

"The upper registers are slightly forward"

"it would lie in the lighter and leaner weight class as compared to other weightier presentations."

Interesting observations. Remember what reviews they belonged to? So I can check them out too? :)

SimonUK5
Jul 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
I was never really impressed with anything i've tried from Focal....

Past three months i've been listening to a cheap pair of Grado SR80i's, straight out of a Yamaha Tape deck, getting on my Bob Dylan bootlegs.

Prodo123
Jul 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
Audio is not very taxing of a computer.

Not when you're like me and are recording 10 concurrent 24/96 tracks for production, with live audio units on each one of them! :p

Currently I have two audio interfaces: the Scarlett 2i2 and Fast Track Pro. I find the Scarlett's mic inputs much better than the FTP's. As for the DAC component, the FTP is clearly more articulate and does better with instrument separation, but it's very colored toward trebles to emphasize this clarity. The Scarlett is more neutral, the way I like it, but can't handle too many instruments.

My current audio setup is the Scarlett 2i2→Lepai 2020a+ (the poor man's amplifier)→a pair of vintage Pioneer S-Z15 bookshelf nearfields that I picked up for free. The S-Z15 is at least 30 years old, but from my testing has a very, very flat response in my setup and it does well.

When I'm on headphones, I go with the Superlux HD-668B. Best $40 I've ever spent.

@Irishman: the very best DAC one can get for under $200 is the ODAC, or Objective DAC, at $150.

ChrisA
Jul 20, 2013, 11:23 PM
Not when you're like me and are recording 10 concurrent 24/96 tracks for production, with live audio units on each one of them! :p

Well it depends on which AUs. What does Activity meter say when you are recording?

As for I/O rates you have 30 bytes 96,000 times per second. Let's call it 100,000 per second for a total of 3 megabytes per second.

The data rate is not much. It is about 10% of what a middle of the road 5400 RPM disk can do.

But I'm more interested in what you CPU is doing. What Mac do you use and what does the meter say?

Prodo123
Jul 20, 2013, 11:27 PM
Well it depends on which AUs. What does Activity meter say when you are recording?

As for I/O rates you have 30 bytes 96,000 times per second. Let's call it 100,000 per second for a total of 3 megabytes per second.

The data rate is not much. It is about 10% of what a middle of the road 5400 RPM disk can do.

But I'm more interested in what you CPU is doing. What Mac do you use and what does the meter say?

MacBook Pro8,2, 16GB RAM with 7200RPM 750GB hard drive. i7-2720QM, so I think the CPU is pretty darn capable.
Audio units include reverb, EQ, phaser, vocoder for some tracks, etc.
CPU usage can go anywhere from 10% to 99%, surprisingly enough.

gannonsamuel
Jul 24, 2013, 07:36 PM

Currently I have two audio interfaces: the Scarlett 2i2 and Fast Track Pro. I find the Scarlett's mic inputs much better than the FTP's. As for the DAC component, the FTP is clearly more articulate and does better with instrument separation, but it's very colored toward trebles to emphasize this clarity. The Scarlett is more neutral, the way I like it, but can't handle too many instruments.

Do the Audio Units absolutely NEED to be running whilst recording?

Also, have you got your interfaces set up as an aggregate device? I find that, for me anyways, the aggregate devices perform a lot worse than just an interface on it's own in protools and logic.

Prodo123
Jul 24, 2013, 07:39 PM
Do the Audio Units absolutely NEED to be running whilst recording?

Also, have you got your interfaces set up as an aggregate device? I find that, for me anyways, the aggregate devices perform a lot worse than just an interface on it's own in protools and logic.

I have three different audio interfaces, so unfortunately to record from all three at the same time I absolutely need the aggregate device setup.
And yes the AUs are necessary!

gannonsamuel
Jul 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
I have three different audio interfaces, so unfortunately to record from all three at the same time I absolutely need the aggregate device setup.
And yes the AUs are necessary!

I'm mostly just curious now, what and how are you recording? don't you get huge latency problems?

have you got a reverb on every track?

bwhli
Jul 24, 2013, 09:52 PM
OK workstation topics..

Audio is not very taxing of a computer. The Mini or any current Mac works fine. But you quickly run out of screen space if you are doing any editing. I find it hard to see the time line on my 13" MBP. My 27" iMac is just perfect. But as for sound, any current Mac is fine. I can do many tracks (some layered MIDI) on the MBP.

One question for 'y'all is this: Is there a better sounding Guitar Amp simulator than NI's "Amplitube". Yes I know it is not nearly as nice as a real amp. (I've built a few tube amps, nothing compares to the real thing but late nights people complain.)

----------

I haven't come across a better guitar amp simulator than Amplitube.

Prodo123
Jul 24, 2013, 09:54 PM
I'm mostly just curious now, what and how are you recording? don't you get huge latency problems?

have you got a reverb on every track?

None so far I think. The latency is manageable.
Tech synths, guitar, vocals, etc. making heavy use of vocoder, reverb, tape echo and modulation. Reverb on most tracks.

arashb
Aug 7, 2013, 12:51 AM
Not entirely sure what you're asking... but here we go :D

AudioEngine N22 + A4 + S8 for when I'm using my MBP on the desk OR when I'm playing games on my PC.

Denon E300 + DCM TW3 (fronts) + DCM CX17 (center) + Paradigm Monitor 9v2s (rear) for watching movies off my MBP, connected to a TV of course. No subwoofer yet :(.

Denon E300 + TW3 + iPod when I'm listening to music off them.

Still can't decide if TW3 + E300 beats the AudioEngine setup for music.

Oh, also Grado SR80i + Altoid amp + iPod nano 6th G when I'm biking to school or at home and need to be quiet.

And, before I forget, RS Audio fronts + Zapco amps in my car x]. Didn't buy them myself, they came in the car. Very expensive apparently but my home audio destroys them.

And app to play stuff: iTunes for music, VLC for movies :].

Tulani
Aug 7, 2013, 11:54 AM
Not entirely sure what you're asking... but here we go :D

AudioEngine N22 + A4 + S8 for when I'm using my MBP on the desk OR when I'm playing games on my PC.

Denon E300 + DCM TW3 (fronts) + DCM CX17 (center) + Paradigm Monitor 9v2s (rear) for watching movies off my MBP, connected to a TV of course. No subwoofer yet :(.

Denon E300 + TW3 + iPod when I'm listening to music off them.

Still can't decide if TW3 + E300 beats the AudioEngine setup for music.

Oh, also Grado SR80i + Altoid amp + iPod nano 6th G when I'm biking to school or at home and need to be quiet.

And, before I forget, RS Audio fronts + Zapco amps in my car x]. Didn't buy them myself, they came in the car. Very expensive apparently but my home audio destroys them.

And app to play stuff: iTunes for music, VLC for movies :].

That's massive !!

arashb
Aug 7, 2013, 10:57 PM
That's massive !!

Yeah... I'm not even an audiophile. Just have a problem trying to say no to good deals. The sr80i's were the only thing I actually wanted to buy.

What is the best way to get RCA outputs from my MBP? There has to be a better way than headphone jack to RCA right? I wanna bypass the MBP's audio control and let the N22 do everything.

Prodo123
Aug 8, 2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah... I'm not even an audiophile. Just have a problem trying to say no to good deals. The sr80i's were the only thing I actually wanted to buy.

What is the best way to get RCA outputs from my MBP? There has to be a better way than headphone jack to RCA right? I wanna bypass the MBP's audio control and let the N22 do everything.

The very best way is to get an external DAC (Digital-Analog Converter). Called "sound cards" by non-audiophiles, you use either an USB or a FireWire port to convert all digital output to analog. Since you seem to be an Audioengine fan, the D1 might appeal to you. Capable of up to 24/192 input with decent reviews. It has RCA stereo output on the back, and connects by USB.

Another interesting thing is that your SR80i is a low-impedance headphone and does not need an amplifier to be driven. What this means is you can simply plug in your SR80i into this DAC without the need for a headphone amplifier.

As I look through your setup I really don't think you need the N22 in there. Like I said, your headphones are passive and an amp will probably make the music sound worse. Not to mention your near fields are active on their own (meaning they have amps integrated in them).

You also don't need the Altoids amp (cMoyBB?). Like I said, your headphones absolutely do NOT need an amp. They need a better DAC.

In short: replace the N22 with a D1, and maybe get a separate DAC for mobile use.

arashb
Aug 8, 2013, 05:17 AM
The very best way is to get an external DAC (Digital-Analog Converter). Called "sound cards" by non-audiophiles, you use either an USB or a FireWire port to convert all digital output to analog. Since you seem to be an Audioengine fan, the D1 might appeal to you. Capable of up to 24/192 input with decent reviews. It has RCA stereo output on the back, and connects by USB.

Another interesting thing is that your SR80i is a low-impedance headphone and does not need an amplifier to be driven. What this means is you can simply plug in your SR80i into this DAC without the need for a headphone amplifier.

As I look through your setup I really don't think you need the N22 in there. Like I said, your headphones are passive and an amp will probably make the music sound worse. Not to mention your near fields are active on their own (meaning they have amps integrated in them).

You also don't need the Altoids amp (cMoyBB?). Like I said, your headphones absolutely do NOT need an amp. They need a better DAC.

In short: replace the N22 with a D1, and maybe get a separate DAC for mobile use.

The N22 drives the P4 since they are passive speakers. The D1 won't allow that. And also the N22 isn't really there for my SR80i, I just use that while I bike to school. I pair the cMoyBB amp with the my Grados to just help out the iPod's DAC.

I'm not dead set on AudioEngine products either. Only reason why I have them is because I got a great deal on the P4 + N22 + S8 sub for under $300. Honestly I wasn't even looking for computer audio setup, just accidentally spelled amplifier as "amplifer" and it popped up... I'm a sucker for a good deal :D

I'll look into some DAC's though, but probably won't be buying for a while.

Prodo123
Aug 8, 2013, 03:32 PM
The N22 drives the P4 since they are passive speakers. The D1 won't allow that. And also the N22 isn't really there for my SR80i, I just use that while I bike to school. I pair the cMoyBB amp with the my Grados to just help out the iPod's DAC.

I'm not dead set on AudioEngine products either. Only reason why I have them is because I got a great deal on the P4 + N22 + S8 sub for under $300. Honestly I wasn't even looking for computer audio setup, just accidentally spelled amplifier as "amplifer" and it popped up... I'm a sucker for a good deal :D

I'll look into some DAC's though, but probably won't be buying for a while.

But didn't you say you had the A4s, not the P4s?
If it's the P4s then I completely understand.

(You really don't need the cMoyBB though; the iPod has an amplifier built in)

arashb
Aug 8, 2013, 03:57 PM
But didn't you say you had the A4s, not the P4s?
If it's the P4s then I completely understand.

(You really don't need the cMoyBB though; the iPod has an amplifier built in)

Yeah my bad, I did say the A4. But AFAIK there is only an A2, A5 and A5+. I totally meant P4 though :P.

I use a LOD to connect to the external amp and bypass the headphone jack completely. With the SR80i I do hear a slight difference in clarity when connecting to an iPod. From what I understand, iPods are designed with the stock apple headphones in mind. Without the amp I get distortion at high volume, with it I can reach even higher volumes before distortion. I don't ever listen to that high of volumes, but knowing it helps that shows that it must be doing something.

Also, a bass boost switch is nice to have :]

ChrisA
Aug 9, 2013, 07:08 PM
MacBook Pro8,2, 16GB RAM with 7200RPM 750GB hard drive. i7-2720QM, so I think the CPU is pretty darn capable.
Audio units include reverb, EQ, phaser, vocoder for some tracks, etc.
CPU usage can go anywhere from 10% to 99%, surprisingly enough.

On a quad core CPU 99% is only 1/4 of the total. It would not want to use more than 50% of total. You should be OK at long at your software can make use of all four cores.

Prodo123
Aug 9, 2013, 08:59 PM
On a quad core CPU 99% is only 1/4 of the total. It would not want to use more than 50% of total. You should be OK at long at your software can make use of all four cores.

I think it was just an issue with Logic using 32-bit AUs. Now I'm seeing MUCH better performance with Logic Pro X.

Macman45
Aug 10, 2013, 03:29 AM

A little late to the party, but my new setup is still a work in progress...The last item is a Behringer Mixer which I will be buying shortly. At present we have

1) 2X Genelec 8020B Studio Monitors

2) Novation 49 SLK MK II

3) Senheisser HD Pro Cans

My guitars have been posted elsewhere on the boards, but I attach a photo of them.

I'm recording using Logic X so am still feeling my way around the new version..It's a big improvement IMO, over 9.

ChrisA
Aug 11, 2013, 02:20 AM
A little late to the party, but my new setup is still a work in progress...The last item is a Behringer Mixer which I will be buying shortly.....

I had one of those mixers a while back. I returned it. The preamps are horrible. The guy at the store said "Oh, you were trying to record with that? They are better for live PA." and understood why I don't want to keep it. There is a lot of self-noise in the preamps if you turn them pup at all. The Behringer is attractive because it LOOKS nearly identical to the Mackie but is 1/2 the price. But if you are recording you just have to spend the bucks on good preamps.

If you are recording it is always best to just an audio interface with enough channels so you don't need a mixer. Then do the mixing in the DAW.

Macman45
Aug 11, 2013, 02:25 AM
I had one of those mixers a while back. I returned it. The preamps are horrible. The guy at the store said "Oh your were trying to record with that? They are better for live PA." and understood why I don't want to keep it. There is a lot of self-noise in the preamps if you turn them pup at all.

If you are recording it is always best to just an audio interface with enough channels so you don't need a mixer. Then do the mixing in the DAW.

Food for thought...I haven't bought it yet, but I have noticed a lot of relatively new ones going too cheap for my liking..May be time to re- think things. I do want a board though.....Previously had a Roland BR900 but never really had the monitoring working right as it wasn't fully OSX compatible....I may now look at Yamaha. The heads up is much appreciated.

Gofre
Aug 11, 2013, 03:55 AM
I'm currently using the very lovely and quite modestly priced setup of the Sennheiser HD600 and the FiiO E09K/E17 combo. It's nicely done the job of killing my upgrade fever that had gripped every purchase I'd made previously, although I'm sure if somebody handed me a grand I'd be straight over to Audeze's website =D

Macman45
Aug 13, 2013, 01:24 AM
I had one of those mixers a while back. I returned it. The preamps are horrible. The guy at the store said "Oh, you were trying to record with that? They are better for live PA." and understood why I don't want to keep it. There is a lot of self-noise in the preamps if you turn them pup at all. The Behringer is attractive because it LOOKS nearly identical to the Mackie but is 1/2 the price. But if you are recording you just have to spend the bucks on good preamps.

I've decided to buy the smaller unit for now..My fiancee will use it with her Roland so it won't go to waste if those pre-amps are as bad as you suggest...Seems to be a lot of conflicting info about them...maybe there was a bad batch? Either way, the little one will work fine for what she wants to do with it, and I can look at other options if it's not up to scratch.

ChrisA
Aug 13, 2013, 12:10 PM
Not when you're like me and are recording 10 concurrent 24/96 tracks for production, with live audio units on each one of them! :p.

10 x 3 x 100,000 bytes per second is still only 3 megabytes per second. Even the lowest cost notebook disk drive is 10x faster than that. Audio, even 10 tracks of 24/96 is still not much data.

Macman45
Aug 20, 2013, 02:03 AM

Okay, after a lot of research I've decided against the Behringer and am now looking at the this:
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-mw-10c/7918

Any thought's on quality here? It's a relatively new model, but initial reports seem favourable.

Macman45
Aug 21, 2013, 01:39 AM
I'm awaiting delivery of the Yamaha...The specs are way better and the monitoring options are just what I need....I just couldn't take a chance on the Behringer, and the Yamaha was 30% off with free delivery too.

stormyuklondon1
Sep 13, 2013, 03:14 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not talented enough for music creation, but my playback system is something I've invested a bit in. It consists of-

Michell gyrodec/tecnoarm arm/Benz micro wood sl cart
MacBook Pro running pure music
Bryston bp-26mc pre-amp
Pmc aml1 active loudspeakers
Akg q701 headphones.

Still auditioning dacs and head amps, so currently a work in progress..

ChrisA
Sep 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not talented enough for music creation, but my playback system is something I've invested a bit in. It consists of-

Michell gyrodec/tecnoarm arm/Benz micro wood sl cart
MacBook Pro running pure music
Bryston bp-26mc pre-amp
Pmc aml1 active loudspeakers
Akg q701 headphones.

Still auditioning dacs and head amps, so currently a work in progress..

I've had really good luck with Presonus. The unit I have is no longer in production but it does 24-bits at up to 96K, has six balanced outputs and a very good built-in headphone amplifier. It is made for recording and you say you don't do that but EVERY audiophile needs a why to MEASURE sound so yo need some place to plug in a measurement microphone. How else to measure room response and check out speakers? I'd look at this current model from them:
http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-22VSL/techspecs
Parts Express sells a very nice Dayton brand measurement mic that come with a calibration file for only $50. The DACs inside this unit are very good, pretty much the same quality you'd find in a recording studio.