PDA

View Full Version : Previous dual 2gHz Power Mac a good ride??

mraila
Nov 9, 2005, 05:48 PM
Does anybody have the recently discontinued dual 2.0gHz G5 Power Mac?
(model M9747LL/A) This is the one with 160GB, 512 RAM, ATI 9600.

Do you like it? Any regrets?

I just bought a new, "left over" unit for short money ($1430) but am concerned that it is kind of a "stripped down" Power Mac. It doesn't have PCI-X slots like the previous model, and only has 4 RAM slots instead of 8...

Thanks!

:o

liketom
Nov 9, 2005, 05:57 PM
my mate "Lincoln" does and he is very happy with it.

i think it has 8 slots in it mind, not 4

howinson
Nov 9, 2005, 06:00 PM
the older version of G5 dual 2.0 has 8 ram slots with pci-x
The new version dual 2.0 june 2005 has only 4 ram slots with no pci slot.

I'm using the newer 2.0 dual running video/audio apps without any problem with ram upgraded least to 1.5 gb

mraila
Nov 9, 2005, 06:00 PM
Mine definitely has only 4 slots. 4GB max.

liketom
Nov 9, 2005, 06:03 PM
Mine definitely has only 4 slots. 4GB max.

i stand corrected - but even still he is over the moon with his 2gb ram - apart from the wind tunnel effect he gets every so often with 10.4.3

opens mail - wooooshhh - calm opens safari - wooooshh lol

i think it drives him potty lol

risc
Nov 9, 2005, 06:03 PM
I just bought a new, "left over" unit for short money ($1430) but am concerned that it is kind of a "stripped down" Power Mac. It doesn't have PCI-X slots like the previous model, and only has 4 RAM slots instead of 8...

It is only stripped down if you have PCI-X hardware, do you? Also how much RAM do you actually need? There is no difference in speed between the 64 bit PCI and the PCI-X versions, so all you are really missing out on is 4 extra memory slots.

mraila
Nov 9, 2005, 06:07 PM
Good point, risc, I do not have any PCI-X hardware, and 4GB is probably MORE than enough, but we all know how it is: you get a little touch of buyer's remorse when you think about what you *could* have had...

:rolleyes:

risc
Nov 9, 2005, 06:09 PM
...we all know how it is: you get a little touch of buyer's remorse when you think about what you *could* have had...

A much more expensive computer with a bunch of features you don't need?

howinson
Nov 9, 2005, 06:11 PM
seen quite alot of benchmark, anything over 4gb of ram has just slight effect on the performance.

Slight = 5 - 10% only

mraila
Nov 9, 2005, 06:16 PM
A much more expensive computer with a bunch of features you don't need?

Yes again, risc. I actually bought a previous model 2.0gHz G5 iMac 20" (for $100 less) which sat on my floor for the weekend. I decided it would be good to be able to expand when needed/wanted so I returned it and got the PM.

Hard to give up that nice 20" widescreen. I'll be using the PM with my old 17" CRT for a month or two...