PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV remote turns on my TV

cyberdogl2
Jul 5, 2013, 11:39 AM
I couldn't find anything about this on the google or even the :apple:tv manual.

To my surprise the select button turns my Philips TV on!

Is this just pure luck with the IR codes

Still need the TV remote to turn the TV off though

SandboxGeneral
Jul 5, 2013, 11:59 AM
That's a little odd, but obviously possible. Here's the exact opposite if you or anyone wanted to control the ATV with any other remote besides the stock Apple one.

How to control Apple TV with a third-party remote (http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/30/how-to-control-apple-tv-with-a-third-party-remote/)

Tomorrow
Jul 5, 2013, 12:02 PM
This could be HIGHLY annoying. :mad:

Not sure if this would help you out, OP, but I use a Logitech Harmony remote for everything BUT the Apple TV, then I use the free Remote app on my iPhone or iPad to control the Apple TV. It works over wifi, so it shouldn't interfere with the TV's operation.

blujacket
Jul 5, 2013, 12:15 PM
In your tv's menu turn off HDMI control

TheAppleFairy
Jul 5, 2013, 12:19 PM
This could be HIGHLY annoying. :mad:

Not sure if this would help you out, OP, but I use a Logitech Harmony remote for everything BUT the Apple TV, then I use the free Remote app on my iPhone or iPad to control the Apple TV. It works over wifi, so it shouldn't interfere with the TV's operation.

I second the Logitech Harmony remote option, though I use my for the ATV also.

I am not sure if this remote would fix his issue. This could be 1 of 2 things that I can think of.

1. The signal for your TV and Apple TV has the exact same code (Unlikely, but possible).
2. Your TV has the option to turn on when it sees a new HDMI signal, so when you turn on the Apple TV your TV sees a new source and turns on.

I would unplug your ATV, and try the remote and see if it turns on your TV.

EDIT: I took so long to type that it looks like blujacket beat me to it, but that goes back to what I was saying in option 2.

APlotdevice
Jul 5, 2013, 12:56 PM
Apple remotes can emit a bunch of different signals based on what "ID" they are set to (there are 256 different IDs IIRC). This is what allows you to pair remotes with a specific Apple devices.

To change the current ID press and hold both the menu and select/center button for five seconds. Afterwords it should hopefully no longer interfere with your television. If not, keep running through IDs until you find one that works.