Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlitew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a MacBook Pro using Bootcamp. Recently I noticed that in the Device Manager, Windows doesn't detect the Intel HD 3000 GPU.
I've done some searching online, and came across someone explaining that Apple doesn't allow access to the Intel GPU when using Windows. Though this doesn't make sense to me because Apple supplies the driver for it when you download the required software through Bootcamp.
When I try to install that driver, I recieve an error window: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements to install the software." Though I've checked all of the requirements and it should install. I believe this is soley because it does not detect the GPU.

Anyway, I'm new here and this is my first question, so if I've made any mistakes, kindly point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If your Macbook Pro has a discrete GPU, the iGPU is disabled and cannot be used in Windows. It has to do with how Apple setup the dynamic GPU switching. The HD 3000 driver is used for systems that only have the HD 3000 GPU and nothing else. While it is downloaded with the rest of the Boot Camp drivers, it isn't used on that machine. There are many other drivers that are downloaded, but not used as well.

jlitew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
If your Macbook Pro has a discrete GPU, the iGPU is disabled and cannot be used in Windows. It has to do with how Apple setup the dynamic GPU switching. The HD 3000 driver is used for systems that only have the HD 3000 GPU and nothing else. While it is downloaded with the rest of the Boot Camp drivers, it isn't used on that machine. There are many other drivers that are downloaded, but not used as well.

That's odd.. Is there any reasoning behind this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It has to do with Windows being incompatible with Apple's configuration of the dynamic GPU switching.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The way the GPU switching is setup in Macs will only work with Mac OS X. All other operating systems will see the discrete GPU only.

jlitew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
The way the GPU switching is setup in Macs will only work with Mac OS X. All other operating systems will see the discrete GPU only.

Oh alright. One more question if you please.. Do you know when using OS X, does the Intel GPU support OpenCL?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Oh alright. One more question if you please.. Do you know when using OS X, does the Intel GPU support OpenCL?

If you want to check, install a program called gfxcardstatus. It runs in your menu bar and allows you to lock the iGPU full time.

margol1

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Problem with Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

It seems I have similar problem in my MBA 13. I have the following message in the Device Manager for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 : "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".
As a result, I have problems with the graphic card in many cases (e.g. I can't get HD resolution using an external HD monitor, etc.) Is there any possibility to solve this problem ? I have dual boot and with OS X it works perfect, but I need Windows too in many instances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.