PDA

View Full Version : Dealer info-MWSF

Liamcow
Dec 21, 2002, 11:51 AM
I went into my local mac store today to pick up my brother's christmas gift- a 14" ibook- just for fun, I asked the guy there what his thoughts were on MWSF. He told me quite positively, that the iBook will be getting a G4 processor, and that I should tell my brother to not open the package and keep the reciept until the show....my 2cents

DHagan4755
Dec 21, 2002, 02:04 PM
Whoop-de-doo. Any one can come on here and make such claims. For all we know, your dealer could read these types of forums as we do. A credible rumor is only valid if previous rumors were accurate. Since there's no track record...this thread is moot.

Computer_Phreak
Dec 21, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Liamcow
I went into my local mac store today to pick up my brother's christmas gift- a 14" ibook- just for fun, I asked the guy there what his thoughts were on MWSF. He told me quite positively, that the iBook will be getting a G4 processor, and that I should tell my brother to not open the package and keep the reciept until the show....my 2cents

this is very very unlikely to happen

Raiden
Dec 21, 2002, 03:06 PM
whats unlikely about it?

Megaquad
Dec 21, 2002, 03:18 PM
iBooks were just released, no way they gonna bump them now.. with G4 haaha.

DaveGee
Dec 21, 2002, 04:50 PM

DHagan4755
Dec 21, 2002, 07:34 PM
Apple's going to do what's in it's best interests. If they feel that the G3 is no longer viable in their product strategy, then they'll dump it.

springscansing
Dec 21, 2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Whoop-de-doo. Any one can come on here and make such claims. For all we know, your dealer could read these types of forums as we do. A credible rumor is only valid if previous rumors were accurate. Since there's no track record...this thread is moot.

Jeez... stab him why don't you.

Everyone has to post a first rumor sometime... newbie.

dricci
Dec 21, 2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Raiden
whats unlikely about it?

As the other poster said, iBooks have had a recent revision. It's very unlikely Apple will make any iBook line changes for several months.

arnette
Dec 21, 2002, 10:45 PM
G4's in the ibook, preferably with a widescreen display

that's my wet dream right there. But they're probably right... it's not gonna happen. Damnit! Maybe in another year.

saabmp3
Dec 21, 2002, 10:53 PM
Wouldn't a G4 in an iBook with a widescreen display be a powerbook? I mean, besides that there isn't any other BIG differences.

BEN

iJon
Dec 21, 2002, 11:37 PM
Id ont think so, seems to early, who knows though, i sure dont. tIt seems like the imacs and emacs birthday time to me. then there wil probably be some software updates or maybe even new software. if apple puts a 19 inch screen on the imac that would be really awesome, i sure hop they do it.

iJon

benixau
Dec 21, 2002, 11:42 PM
i agree, i dont think we will see G4 ibooks until one or more likely some of these things happen:

970 in pmacs and Xserves
970 in pbooks or super duper fast g4s
imacs have super fast g4s or low end 970s
emacs have really fast g4s or really low end 970s

then expect g4 ibooks. they will also probably kill the classic imac line at the same time.

sorry liamcow, maybe next time.

JSRockit
Dec 22, 2002, 06:37 PM
I believe the G4 will be in the next iBook redesign...which is most likely in 4-9 months. The TiBook should be redesigned at this time as well. The iBook will never have the screen size/resolution the PowerBook has as well as much max ram capabilities as the PowerBook. Also, HD space, GPU, FSB speed and Optical Drives will always be top level in the PowerBook and one notch below in the iBook. Right there that is enough to differentiate the price of the TiBook.

PC companies charge alot more just for a 200mhz increase (even though it is still a P4), better GPU, bigger screen, better optical drive, and more RAM. Why can't Apple? It seems logical to me that it really isn't a big deal to have the G4 in all Apple computers. The eMac and iMac are different enough to have there own buyers...I believe the iBook and TiBook are different enough...and will continue to be...even if both have the G4 processor.

moosecat
Dec 22, 2002, 06:57 PM
... The people who work at Apple stores probably spend a lot of time at Apple rumor sites too, and that's probably where they get half their information. I doubt Apple corporate is sending top-secret keynote previews to the part-timers who man the counters at the Apple store. If the guy who said this read the wrong rumor on some site, he may have become convinced of it, without any basis in his knowledge from work.

irmongoose
Dec 22, 2002, 07:12 PM
Are you guys sure the iBook can even hold a G4? I mean, that thing just has a small plastic case... wouldn`t there be heat issues? Although I don`t believe there will be G4 iBooks at MWSF, it is bound to happen... but I think they`re going to have to redesign the case in order for it to sport a G4.

irmongoose

Mr. Anderson
Dec 22, 2002, 08:23 PM
If such an unprecedented change to the iBook line were pending, wouldn't there be huge deals right now, with the holiday season especially, to get rid of all the old G3s in stock?

This guy, if its a true story, was only playing around and is probably laughing at you cause you might not take the iBook out of its packaging for 2 weeks. That's not going to happen! :D

D

Durandal7
Dec 22, 2002, 10:24 PM
Why are people posting so many new iBook rumors? I can't recall any other product where a month after introduction everyone said "it's going to update next week!"

arnette
Dec 23, 2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by saabmp3
Wouldn't a G4 in an iBook with a widescreen display be a powerbook? I mean, besides that there isn't any other BIG differences.

BEN

You are absolutely right. I also have a wet dream about me and Cindy Crawford but I don't think that's going to be a reality, either.
Just put a Ghz G3 in there with preferably a widescreen and I'll be happy. Someone brought up the observation that Apple has quite a few widescreen options (ACD, PowerBook, iMac). If that were to become a company staple I think that would do much for keeping Apple ahead of the curve. Besides,

GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Liamcow
Dec 24, 2002, 02:16 PM
>"Just put a Ghz G3 in there with preferably a widescreen and I'll be happy."
just to let you know, if you tried to run the G3 at 1GHz, you would fry the poor thing...

and for everyone else:
I forgot to mention the fact that the actual revision will be happening in febuary or march, sorry...

DHagan4755
Dec 24, 2002, 02:21 PM
I forgot to mention the fact that the actual revision will be happening in febuary or march, sorry... That doesn't jibe with what you stated at the beginning of this thread.

funkywhat2
Dec 24, 2002, 04:11 PM
>"Just put a Ghz G3 in there with preferably a widescreen and I'll be happy."
just to let you know, if you tried to run the G3 at 1GHz, you would fry the poor thing...

Why would you fry it. IBM has had the 750 running at at least 1GHz for months. If you overclocked a current 750, then, yes, it would fry. But if you updated it with a newer 750, then it may or may not fry, especially if the processor is rated at 1GHz.

leghorn
Dec 26, 2002, 01:28 AM
G4 iBook probably not.
But what about new G4 eBook? All 12.1 screens, so as not to compete w/ Pbook.
Does anyone think an eBook will come?

iJon
Dec 26, 2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by leghorn
G4 iBook probably not.
i dont think so. When the came out with the flat panel mac, they decided to call it the imac. so then they had two imacs. they wanted to make a big brother to the original imac but oculdnt call it an imac. that is where emac came in. and soon the original imac will be gone. the only way an ebook would form is if apple made another laptop, and still then it may not be called and ebook. i doubt it though.

iJon

leghorn
Dec 26, 2002, 05:40 AM
I doubt it too and if it did happen, an eBook would be more likely be the low-end (G3) and the iBook move up the line.

But the reason why it first came to mind is that the link to 'refurbs', on the Apple shop page, has been removed. There is no "Special Deals" icon. Which made me think there might be a product line shift. And symmetry (PB, PMac, iB, iMac, eB, eMac).

I do realize it's an extreme longshot for MWSF, but down the road apple is probably going to try and lighter, smaller, more mobile notebook.

We'll see. Thanks for the reply.

Mr. Dibbs
Dec 26, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by iJon

Trust me, this is bull s***. i work at an apple dealer and there will not be new ibooks. the only new computers this macworld will be imacs and emacs. then there wil probably be some software updates or maybe even new software. if apple puts a 19 inch screen on the imac, there will probably be new widescreen displays. powermacs will not be a mwsf, but they will follow shortly that month or feburary at the latest. dont be fooled by this guy. i have many people i talk to at apple about what is to be expected and ibooks with g4 processors is not one of them.

iJon

you know, this isn't intended as flame bait, but can we say overly cynical and confident?

JSRockit
Dec 26, 2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by leghorn
G4 iBook probably not.

The eBook name is taken...and with the advent of a $999 iBook...I don't think it'll happen. if anything, Apple should suplement the current portables line-up with a sub-notebook.

iJon
Dec 26, 2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Dibbs

you know, this isn't intended as flame bait, but can we say overly cynical and confident?
yeah i feel pretty confident with my comment. im sorry if i made you mad or anyone else mad, the last thing i want to do is to make enemies in my mac community. im just saying this will not happen for a while. sorry eveyone if made someone mad.

iJon

Liamcow
Feb 1, 2003, 11:44 PM
Well i guess the nice 12" powerbook could be considered a G4 ibook, they basically used the same case, it has the same wireless range, and it costs less than the top end ibook

....told you;)