PDA

View Full Version : 13in or 8GB?

arbogast777
Jul 6, 2013, 08:55 PM
For $100 premium over the base model you could go with either a 13in Air (pros: larger screen and better battery life) or an 11in with 8GB RAM. What are your thoughts on which one would give you best bang for the buck?

For myself, I'm having a hard time deciding. I use my current Air for basic things like internet, iTunes, etc, so I can't imagine 8GB more making my experience much better. On the other hand a larger screen and longer battery would be nice (while trading off slightly in portability).

What say you?

larry918
Jul 6, 2013, 09:04 PM
From your description, I'd definitely go with the 13 inch. Although everyone on MR is claiming that 8GB is the new standard, it really isn't. For a vast majority of users, 4GB of RAM is just fine. Browsing webpages on a 13 inch screen is also a much better experience than browsing on an 11 inch. :)

mattdo93
Jul 6, 2013, 09:27 PM
From your description, I'd definitely go with the 13 inch. Although everyone on MR is claiming that 8GB is the new standard, it really isn't. For a vast majority of users, 4GB of RAM is just fine. Browsing webpages on a 13 inch screen is also a much better experience than browsing on an 11 inch. :)

My thoughts exactly.

I normally don't post on the forums here but I bought the baseline MBA 13 inch and it's fine. All my friends with some Macbook also have the baseline model and it serves them just fine. None of us whine about how slow it is because it isn't! They complain more instead about the battery life getting shorter, but that's because they keep it plugged in too much and don't exercise the battery enough ;)

8GB is for users who just keep too many things open and/or use intense software. Plus OS X Mavericks is introducing new power-saving technology that extends battery and uses less RAM :cool:

luisito
Jul 6, 2013, 10:05 PM

Ditto.

The OP will benefit greatly from more real state (bigger display) rather than RAM.

Longhorns90
Jul 6, 2013, 11:24 PM
With Air you get what you as opposed to all others you could add ram later, but this is put on where cannot change, because faster because how put in, so if you use I7 than 8gb helps, I5 doesn't really matter much.

When I took my 2009 MacBook 2 to 8 it was huge, but I bet if I went from 4 to 8 it wouldn't have been so much. 2 you couldn't run Mountain lion, but could Leopard, the same type thing with I7 where works, but noticeably sluggish because of ram insufficient, and I bet Maverick even more so that way. I would be more than even money that the Air has Retina display come out by Xmas also, so don't let that get you if you would be pissed if happens, because quite likely, they are just clearing out those that extra battery, and 4th Gen processor was enough, and Retina Air for Xmas will be the hook this year.

Good luck

Chatran
Jul 7, 2013, 12:45 AM
For choosing between 11" and 13", you would better go to the shop and try for yourself.

For me, it is about the same except the extra vertical space. If not comparing them side by side, I dont feel significant difference on using it (text size is about the same). The major difference for me is the battery life.

All I'm waiting is for the wifi problem to settle and then going to order the 11" myself.

falconeight
Jul 7, 2013, 12:55 AM
Ram always ram. You can never have enough ram.

G-Mo
Jul 7, 2013, 01:02 AM

4GB of RAM may be "just fine" to limp along right now, but next year or the year after? What happens when in 18 months the OS minimum requirement is 4GB and your RAM in non-upgradeable?

I'd save a bit more and get a 13" WITH 8GB.

SteveJobs2.0
Jul 7, 2013, 01:58 AM
4GB of RAM may be "just fine" to limp along right now, but next year or the year after? What happens when in 18 months the OS minimum requirement is 4GB and your RAM in non-upgradeable?

I'd save a bit more and get a 13" WITH 8GB.

Limp along? Last year's MBA that I tried today with 4gb can have every osx and iLife application open at the same time without a hitch lol.

G-Mo
Jul 7, 2013, 02:07 AM
Limp along? Last year's MBA that I tried today with 4gb can have every osx and iLife application open at the same time without a hitch lol.

Try Word and Powerpoint. Or Photoshop and Illustrator... Page out, page out, page out... lol