PDA

View Full Version : Best processor for running dual displays? Does it matter?

entatlrg
Jul 6, 2013, 11:20 PM
For connecting a 2013 Air to one possibly two TBD's does the processor play an important role?

What processor should I have, i5 or i7? If the i5 can power them without problems great because I'm concerned if I keep the i7 I'm going to get more heat and fan noise. That's been my experience with my previous Airs.

I'm waiting for the new (hopefully retina) 27" displays and don't to want buy a second display now to just to test out my Air...

Anyone have experience using an i5 or i7 running one or two displays for long periods of time? Do you get lag, excessive fan noise, heat?

Suraj R.
Jul 6, 2013, 11:46 PM
For connecting a 2013 Air to one possibly two TBD's does the processor play an important role?

What processor should I have, i5 or i7? If the i5 can power them without problems great because I'm concerned if I keep the i7 I'm going to get more heat and fan noise. That's been my experience with my previous Airs.

I'm waiting for the new (hopefully retina) 27" displays and don't to want buy a second display now to just to test out my Air...

Anyone have experience using an i5 or i7 running one or two displays for long periods of time? Do you get lag, excessive fan noise, heat?

I have my new 2013 MBA 13/i5/8/128 connected to a 23" HP Pavilion 23xi (1080p, LED) monitor and it works great. No lag at all.

The only time the fan kicks in is when I'm watching Netflix while converting video from .mkv to .mp4, and there I experience some lag with the Netflix video (not the scrolling or anything, that's always flawless). This has nothing to do with the monitor, its just the converting video (I'm converting .avi to .mp4 as we speak and my fans are running).

The fans aren't too loud but they are noticeable.

I don't think an i7 would be necessary at all, the i5 and i7 both have the same GPU meaning getting either one wouldn't affect video output. Performance is also nearly the same for both, save your money and get the i5.

luisito
Jul 7, 2013, 09:46 AM

Nope. It is not important. Any displays will be powered by the GPU alone with no interference from the CPU.

All new MBAs have an Intel HD5000, so doesn't matter which one you pick, you will get the same results from the GPU.

Problems will come if there are limitations with the GPU, since it can only power a limited amount of displays and up to a certain resolution.

Bear
Jul 7, 2013, 10:49 AM

...For i5 vs i7 noise and heat make sure you're looking at comments on the 2013 Air. As for which processor, it depends on what you're running.

The big thing is that the integrated graphics will be able to use more memory if you have 8GB of ram instead of 4GB. How much of a difference it makes for you again depends on what you'll be running.

As for a Retina 27" display if you mean double the current resolution I hope you have a few thousand dollars for it. I also don't think that the Air can handle that resolution.