PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else who use 13' Air as their secondary machine?

perry8912
Jul 7, 2013, 06:30 PM
I'm just curious. Does anyone want to change their 13' air to 11' ?

I already have a 15' mbp as my main computer, but it's so heavy that i just leave it at home all the time. Right now I want to use 13' air for reading pdfs, writing papers, browsing websites and playing light game.

Is it appropriate that have two computer at the same time?
Any advice?
Thx

Saberon
Jul 7, 2013, 06:36 PM
Having 2 laptops doesn't make sense to me.

Could you sell your 15" and buy a 13 air or 13/15 retina maybe?

chabig
Jul 7, 2013, 06:39 PM
I recommend having one laptop and a 27" display. That's worked great for me for the past three years. I just sold my 13" MacBook Pro for an 11" Air.

SusanK
Jul 7, 2013, 06:40 PM
If it's a secondary notebook maybe the 11 inch is worth considering. That's a great Mac to take along with you just about anywhere.

As to having two machines that's your call just as it is with size, model etc.

I love my 11 inch MBA.

filmbuff
Jul 7, 2013, 07:01 PM
Yep, it seems redundant to have two laptops that are almost the same size. I would either just switch to a MBA with an external monitor or keep the MBP and get an iPad for travel.

Zer0n1nja
Jul 7, 2013, 08:55 PM
I have a high end windows desktop for gaming/photo editing but I just picked up the 11 inch air as a secondary computer to take with me on my frequent motorcycle trips where I travel with just a backpack.

I love the 11 inch air, great battery life ( i get right around 8-9 hours) and it's just as responsive as my desktop for basic things, even lightroom editing.

I got the stock model without upgrading to 8 gigs of ram because I only use about 2-3 at a time and will probably upgrade to the newest model next year whenever that comes out.

mayuka
Jul 8, 2013, 12:05 AM
I'm using the Macbook Air 11" for traveling. I mostly do webbrowsing, writing, coding and watching video with it. At home I have a Mac mini + Display for more complex work, such as Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.. I'm using rsync and unison for syncing the data between the two computers.

Other people use the Macbook Pro 15" for all their work as a standalone machine. If you are into video editing, for example, the screen of the MBAs are too small. It's about the work you want to and need to perform.

Ifti
Jul 8, 2013, 06:32 AM
I have a Mac Mini Server - mainly used fro Plex and file sharing etc on my LAN.

I did have a MacBook Pro 13, which was used as my main machine.
I use my iPad for general couch surfing.

I have no space for a larger external display (I have 3 daughters who take as much space as they can get for thei stuff! lol)

I sold the MacBook Pro 13 as my main use for it was FCPX, and I wanted to get a 15" instead. Hence Im waiting for the update to the rMBP 15", and I will buy the max spec version to use as my main workhorse.

Im also awaiting delivery of a MBA11 - I'll use it as an iPad replacement (iPad will be used my wife and kids more now) anda mobile machine I can always have with me. I didnt see the point in getting a 13" if my main workhorse machine is the 15" rMBP.

Hence my final setup will be:

Mac Mini Server
rMBP 15" as my main workhorse
MBA 11" as my mobile machine
iPad just as a couch surfing general thingy!

Steve121178
Jul 8, 2013, 06:36 AM
Any advice?

Buy what suits your needs. No one can recommend what is best for you.

daviddth
Jul 8, 2013, 07:17 AM
My primary machine is a Ivy Bridge i7 PC, 24GB RAM, and 10TB HDD running Win 7 Pro. The 2013 13" MBA is my secondary machine and runs really well considering what it is and what I expect from it.

The Air is primarily for away from home use, some christmas light sequencing, a bit of photo editing etc. Add to that net access, some windows based programs as well (I dual boot Win 7 Home Premium and OSX as theres more than enough space on the 512GB SSD). Starting to use the Mac programs a bit more than Windows just to have a bit of experience with OSX - I may know windows well, but OSX still confuses me, but I tended to boot the old MBA into windows most of the time, now I dont unless I need to.

perry8912
Jul 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
Thank you guys.

I am thinking leave my 15' mbp at home as a desktop computer since it's too heavy and take 13'air to school. I know it's a little bit waste money but if i sell my mbp i may loose $500+.

haaX
Jul 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
I got my MBA 11" a week ago as a secondary machine in addition to my laptop. Haven't used my normal desktop computer since.... The 11" is pretty perfect for couch surfing and what not.