PDA

View Full Version : MBA 2013 Router?

AlanMac95
Jul 7, 2013, 07:32 PM
Hey guys, I just purchased the new MBA (i5/8gb ram/256gb ssd) and it's supposed to ship on July 10th.
I'm going to university in August and have been informed that it's best that I bring an ethernet cable and/or a router to connect to wifi in the dorms. They've told me they're about 30 dollars, but the ones I'm finding are ~200$ from the apple site. Can anyone give me some tips as to where to buy either of those? :) Thank you!

SusanK
Jul 7, 2013, 07:40 PM
Alan, Ethernet is a wired connection. If you do that you will need an adapter. MBA has a thunderbolt port, no Ethernet port. Get a thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter from Apple. I think the price is in the $25 range for the adapter. You can get the Ethernet cable at most electronic stores.

If you want wireless you need a router or access point. I am using an ancient AirPort Extreme with my mid 2012 MBA. I don't have the new MBA.

Routers are available at various prices. Mine goes for about $15 now on eBay.

Mrbobb
Jul 7, 2013, 07:54 PM
Universities are so ancient, who uses Ethernet these days?

Buy an el-cheapo 802.11n Access Point and have your roommates, and the guys next door help you with the cost and then everybody can have access to it.

SusanK
Jul 7, 2013, 11:12 PM

Buy an el-cheapo 802.11n Access Point and have your roommates, and the guys next door help you with the cost and then everybody can have access to it.

Would Airport Express 802.11n be a suitable choice? Apple is offering the refurb for $69. Should be an easy set up, I hope.

luisito
Jul 8, 2013, 12:55 AM
Who uses Ethernet these days?

Nothing can beat Ethernet when you talk about gaming. If this were a PC forum, you would have the whole internet against you.

Hardwire connections still have many advantages over wireless. However most people use WiFi for its practicality.

The biggest advantage from hardwire is the low to zero ping.

rabidz7
Jul 8, 2013, 12:58 AM
Who uses Ethernet these days?

Intelligent people who know what ping is.

----------

Get an ethernet cable and a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

Mrbobb
Jul 8, 2013, 01:11 AM
Nothing can beat Ethernet when you talk about gaming. If this were a PC forum, you would have the whole internet against you.

I don't game, so unlikely to get a rebuke ever.

----------

Intelligent people who know what ping is.[.

So... how often do we do this ping thing to make our life more complete?

----------

Would Airport Express 802.11n be a suitable choice? Apple is offering the refurb for $69. Should be an easy set up, I hope.

Not familiar with Apple's networking products. Sorry can't help.

mmomega
Jul 8, 2013, 01:16 AM
I ran CAT6 throughout my new house because it is much quicker and more reliable than WiFi. Who has any buffer issues or slow transfer rates across 2800 sq ft? Not this guy.

Yes WiFi can be convenient but walls won't limit my ethernet speeds.

CarlJ
Jul 8, 2013, 02:23 AM
I'm going to university in August and have been informed that it's best that I bring an ethernet cable and/or a router to connect to wifi in the dorms.

As someone who used to help run networking for dorms at a large university, I would suggest you get clarification on what they told you before spending your money - an ethernet cable (plus thunderbolt-to-ethernet adapter) will get you a good fast interference-free connection from the ethernet jack(s) in your room to... well however long a cable you get. Fast, reliable, but not always convenient.

Many universities will be twitchy about you bringing in your own access point, though, because a) if they already provide WiFi that blankets the dorms, user-supplied access points can muck with the signal (making you unpopular with the network admins and your dorm neighbors), and b) misconfigured user-supplied access points on the network can do surprising things - if, for instance, you manage to bridge the wired and wireless networks together (thus inadvertently routing traffic for part of the building through your laptop), you'll likely get a knock on your door from unhappy network admins (who may cut off your access for a period of time). Even more fun is if you end up running an open access point, and one of your dorm neighbors uses it run a file sharing site for movies/music, the IP address will track back to you, and *you* will be the recipient of the legal action from the RIAA/MPAA (this was a surprisingly frequent occurrence).

So what I'm saying is, ask enough questions of the networking folk at the university to be sure you're not buying an access point that you'll be required to shut off as soon as you arrive, and if they do support user-supplied access points (and don't have good WiFi already available), make sure you understand how to properly configure/secure it.

throAU
Jul 8, 2013, 04:04 AM

People who want real world gigabit throughput.

They don't use "gigabit" wifi that is shared between multiple users and doesn't get anywhere near gigabit speed at any sort of reasonable range.

WIFI is not a cable replacement. It is useful when cable is too expensive or not practical (e.g., on the couch), but given the choice between gigabit ethernet on the desk or wifi, its a no brainer.

TC25
Jul 8, 2013, 04:47 AM
Uninformed comment of the week.

scaredpoet
Jul 8, 2013, 03:18 PM
If you want to take full advantage of the 802.11ac wireless ethernet on your MacBook Air, you can get one of these routers for cheaper than the Apple version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127496

And if you're really on a budget, and are willing to go a bit slower:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166064

If you absolutely need a wired connection, then you should get one of these:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Not familiar with Apple's networking products. Sorry can't help.

Then you have nothing to contribute to the conversation.

SusanK
Jul 8, 2013, 08:38 PM
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

Alan, this may be an option for your wireless needs if it is OK with the university network administrators.

Dr Charter
Jul 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
I would suggest the Airport Express if it is within your budget. You can get a refurb for $69 (old version) or $85 (new version). The new version has the advantage of giving you a wired connection as well. Best of both worlds.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

SusanK
Jul 8, 2013, 10:55 PM
https://discussions.apple.com/community/wireless/airport?view=discussions#/

Alan, there is a lot of expertise on this forum if you need more info on Apple wireless equipment.

AlanMac95
Jul 8, 2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys, I just bought the thunderbolt adapter + ethernet cable. Hopefully it'll be good enough haha :)

SusanK
Jul 8, 2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys, I just bought the thunderbolt adapter + ethernet cable. Hopefully it'll be good enough haha :)

Alan, that will work. Plenty of time to explore wireless solutions after you get settled in.