PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Audiophiles!

northernmunky
Jul 8, 2013, 07:30 AM
Hi all,
Looking for some advice, some years ago I bought a 5.1 Surround Sound system (cheap model but bloody good sound out of it!). Built in Dolby decoder and optical input, the works.

Trouble is the bass box is on its last legs as it now starts stuttering over Optical input and the power supply is dodgy at best.

I only paid 60 for the whole set in Asda so I'm looking for a new set at a similar price range but the only ones I can see are a lot more expensive if it comes with optical.

Anyone know of any good value packages? Don't want any built in DVD players either... that's just tacky!

ChrisA
Jul 8, 2013, 01:01 PM
Your terms don't go well together. "audiophile" and cheap boom boxes just don't belong in the same post.

Also at your price point "optical" will not help you one bit. Don't limit yourself by the type of cable.

northernmunky
Jul 8, 2013, 03:43 PM
Your terms don't go well together. "audiophile" and cheap boom boxes just don't belong in the same post.
If you know about audio, I'm hoping you'd know just as much about cheap boom boxes jut as much as expensive professional ones. Thats the kind of person I need the intel from :)

Also at your price point "optical" will not help you one bit. Don't limit yourself by the type of cable.
Optical will be just superduper great when I have a new box to plug it into since thats whats on the back of all my media devices :)

Irishman
Jul 10, 2013, 07:09 PM
If you know about audio, I'm hoping you'd know just as much about cheap boom boxes jut as much as expensive professional ones. Thats the kind of person I need the intel from :)

Optical will be just superduper great when I have a new box to plug it into since thats whats on the back of all my media devices :)

What is your budget?

northernmunky
Jul 12, 2013, 05:31 AM
What is your budget?

Cheap and cheerful, as long as it has 5 speakers, optical input with Dolby decoder, then that's all I need for my setup. I have the Logitech Z906 Surround Sound 5.1 Speaker System for one home setup http://www.ebuyer.com/256220-logitech-z906-surround-sound-5-1-speaker-system-980-000469 and now just looking for a budget option for an office setup.

Irishman
Jul 13, 2013, 06:10 PM
Cheap and cheerful, as long as it has 5 speakers, optical input with Dolby decoder, then that's all I need for my setup. I have the Logitech Z906 Surround Sound 5.1 Speaker System for one home setup http://www.ebuyer.com/256220-logitech-z906-surround-sound-5-1-speaker-system-980-000469 and now just looking for a budget option for an office setup.

You're not going to find what you're looking for, unless you go used.

Try ebay or audiogone for those deals. Even then you may not even find it.

The problem is a starter 5.1 system will usually start you $200 or more.

Is this just to hook to a computer??

ChrisA
Jul 14, 2013, 01:14 AM
You're not going to find what you're looking for, unless you go used.

Try ebay or audiogone for those deals. Even then you may not even find it.

The problem is a starter 5.1 system will usually start you $200 or more.

Is this just to hook to a computer??

Again this thread is mis-named. 5.1 systems are for games and movie sound tracks, not music. But if you want a god and cheap system with optical inputs and dolby then look in th trift stores and eBay for a used A/V receiver. They turn up real cheap, like $50 to $35. Then use remaining budget on used passive stereo speakers

Irishman
Jul 16, 2013, 08:35 PM
Again this thread is mis-named. 5.1 systems are for games and movie sound tracks, not music. But if you want a god and cheap system with optical inputs and dolby then look in th trift stores and eBay for a used A/V receiver. They turn up real cheap, like $50 to $35. Then use remaining budget on used passive stereo speakers

I know. I don't think the OP has given much thought to what he wants versus what he's asking for and at what price.