PDA

View Full Version : ooh, shiny - my new imac just arrived :)

derthballs
Nov 10, 2005, 09:18 AM
10 days earlier than expected, my G5 20" 2.1ghz mac just turned up :)

Unfortunately i cant get home for a few hours yet to set it up, but as its my first mac, im quite excited :)

Now i just need to track down a good newsgroup downloader and ill be all set :)

DarkNetworks
Nov 10, 2005, 09:26 AM
10 days earlier than expected, my G5 20" 2.1ghz mac just turned up :)

Unfortunately i cant get home for a few hours yet to set it up, but as its my first mac, im quite excited :)

Now i just need to track down a good newsgroup downloader and ill be all set :)

cool!
btw, shiny? pics perhaps?

grapes911
Nov 10, 2005, 09:31 AM
I'd congratulate you, but I'm jealous because I want one. So piss off. :rolleyes:

Seasought
Nov 10, 2005, 09:32 AM
10 days earlier than expected, my G5 20" 2.1ghz mac just turned up

Congrats! Have fun. :D

derthballs
Nov 10, 2005, 09:41 AM
cool!
btw, shiny? pics perhaps?

Ill take some pics tonight when its setup and out of the box, at the moment it dosent look too interesting sat in its box :)

RobHague
Nov 10, 2005, 09:44 AM
Ill take some pics tonight when its setup and out of the box, at the moment it dosent look too interesting sat in its box :)

You kidding? I find the Apple box's quite interesting ;) :D

warcraftmaster
Nov 10, 2005, 09:47 AM
i got mine to they are so nice.(yes they are shiny tooo). so much faster then my power book 12 rev a. photo booth is really fun. get a halo demo:D. fable tlc is going to come out too this is going to be sweet! am just putting on famliy guy on my iPod and i will get sin city, matrix, star wars, lotr, i all filled up 34gb on my 60gb iPod i bet i willl hit 40 soon too.

ps i have a stock 20in so it would come here faster and its needs my ram it fills so fast i think i will buy a 1 gb stick for 130 i think

atari1356
Nov 10, 2005, 10:00 AM
Congrats on the new computer... I've got an older 20" iMac here at work, it's niiiiiiice. :)

You're going to love it.

If you don't mind paying for a newsgroup reader, Unison (http://www.panic.com/unison/) is the best... but I think there are a few decent free ones out there too. You can do a search on macupdate.com to find one.

derthballs
Nov 10, 2005, 01:16 PM
Congrats on the new computer... I've got an older 20" iMac here at work, it's niiiiiiice. :)

You're going to love it.

If you don't mind paying for a newsgroup reader, Unison (http://www.panic.com/unison/) is the best... but I think there are a few decent free ones out there too. You can do a search on macupdate.com to find one.

thanks ill give that a try later, im on the mac now - i really dont like the mouse, it feels laggy and not very intuitive, although everything else looks good, im a bit confused working everything, its a bit of a mindscrambler, my brain is still wired to microsoft at the moment.

First impressions, it looks stunning, but i dont even have a clue on basic stuff, like where do i put stuff i download and things like that, no doubt it take a short time to get used to it.

Thanatoast
Nov 10, 2005, 01:33 PM
Is "shiny" a sly Firefly reference? ;)

Hope you enjoy your new machine. The mouse does take a little while to get used to, but you'll be okay pretty soon. And if you want to right-click in a finder window, you can click the little gear-shaped icon up top in the menu bar.

Danksi
Nov 10, 2005, 01:40 PM
I've had my 17" iMac Rev.C sooo long, it's starting to feel old :D

Enjoy.

macdesire
Nov 10, 2005, 02:12 PM
My new mac arrived today. First time I have bought or owned a mac. However now that I have unwrapped it all I get is three beeps and nothing happens.:confused:

derthballs
Nov 10, 2005, 02:31 PM
http://http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7133/p10100209ao.opt.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7133/p10100209ao.opt.jpg)

CuseGoyle
Nov 10, 2005, 02:45 PM
My iMac has a ship date of Nov 17th. Hopefully it will come sooner. I was thinking of actually cancelling the order and then picking up one from the Apple Store.

derthballs
Nov 10, 2005, 03:07 PM
i ordered mine last friday, it was supposed to come on the 18th, or be despatched by the 18th, i was shocked to see it arrive today, kudos to apple europe, i was expecting my ipod to turn up before the mac did, but its coming from china, so it might be a few days yet.

mduser63
Nov 10, 2005, 07:34 PM
thanks ill give that a try later, im on the mac now - i really dont like the mouse, it feels laggy and not very intuitive, although everything else looks good, im a bit confused working everything, its a bit of a mindscrambler, my brain is still wired to microsoft at the moment.

First impressions, it looks stunning, but i dont even have a clue on basic stuff, like where do i put stuff i download and things like that, no doubt it take a short time to get used to it.

Just be patient and willing to learn new ways of doing things, and in no time you'll grow to be much more comfortable on a Mac than on a Windows PC and you'll appreciate the way the Mac works. I switched about a year ago, and I'd say it took me about 2 weeks before that feeling of being slightly confused about how to do things went away. Now I get the exact same feeling when I try to use Windows. Things just don't work quite the way I want them to on Windows.

crazyeyes
Nov 10, 2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Derthballs what mouse pad is that you are using in the pic of you iMac?

Melkor
Nov 10, 2005, 08:28 PM
10 days earlier!!!???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why must I suffer?

Congrats btw, they are cool looking computers. The nerds in out physics class won one for out school last year. Everyone was like :eek: :eek: :eek: OMGZ ITS LK A GIGANTIC I POD LOLZ!!!11!

derthballs
Nov 11, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hey Derthballs what mouse pad is that you are using in the pic of you iMac?

Its just a clear compad pad - ive switched back to the desk, im getting used to the mighty mouse now, and very much starting to get used to the mac, a few things annoy me, i cant seem to cut and paste somethings, for instance if i want to move a file off my psp to another directory, i cant cut it , i can copy it but i have to put it to mac first to change folder, another annoyance is sometimes ive had something open on the cd, and havent found what it is so it wouldnt let me eject, but pretty much im very happy.

The main reason for getting the mac was to rid myself of continual upgrading of my pc, i sold my 24" dell with opteron 148 and 7800GTX with 2gb of ram to switch for this so i have lost a fair amount of power.

I am really taken with it though, its doing mostly everything i want so far, rarring and parring has been quite a bit slower, but it works, so im not too fussed for the little time i would actually use it.

I love photo booth (my kids adore it), when i plug in my digi cam its a treat, and using the remote for browsing music and video is superb too.

derthballs
Nov 14, 2005, 02:09 AM
So ive had a weekend now with the mac, heres my good and bad points.

I love the looks, quicktime and itunes seem somewhat better - i had an amusing moment where i was tearing my hair out looking for a shortcut to move to the next track on itunes, and totally forgot i had the remote to do such jobs :)

My main gripe, it feels very slow, especially slow compared even to my 512mb althon xp2000 at work, when i click to open programs, nothing is ever instant, i dont know if more ram would cure this, does anyone know if this will make a difference?

another thing i dont like is the mouse, but im loathed to change it at the moment.