Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which has better design? iOS 6 or iOS 7?

• iOS 6

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • iOS 7

Votes: 99 81.1%

• Total voters

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Yes, iOS 7 in beta. But I am talking about design. This is what you get. They aren't going to add major changes to the design this late.

So, do you prefer iOS 6 or do you prefer iOS 7's design? Honestly, iOS 6 (even with the skeuomorphism) is much more polished and nicer to look at than iOS 7. The glass effects in iOS 6 were a great touch and the dock allowed you to see your entire background. The lacking of transparency in iOS 7 is pretty sad. The icons in iOS 7 is by the worst aspect of the UI and the ones in iOS 6 were amazing. The only design I like in iOS 6 was the font and the frosted glass, but I do appreciate some much, much, much needed features.

All in all, Apple is still playing catch up.

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I don't like how buttons were removed. Skeuomorphism is not all bad.

I think things like the green felt on Game Center should go away.
I think things like the slide-to-unlock button shouldn't go away.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
For some reason, I find iOS 6's design more professional. Aside from the over use of textures, of course. iOS 7's design looks as if it's a prototype. Not complete.

I know that iOS 7 is a beta, but I doubt they'll be any aesthetic changes. At this point, Apple is focusing on squashing bugs and nothing more. iOS 7's current design is what we're stuck with until possibly iOS 8 and that's fine. There's plenty of other options out there.

so 83% of poll takers prefer a beta iOS 7 to iOS 6 :D

Some people really, really, hated iOS 6's design. Not because it's bad (although, some do think that) but because after 6 years, it felt old to some.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
so 83% of poll takers prefer a beta iOS 7 to iOS 6 :D

Because 99% of beta users here are non-devs who jumped through all kinds of hoops to get the beta and aren't about to admit their hard won shiny new OS isn't the end all.

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
Simply can't go back to iOS 6. Especially since beta 3 really improved the performance and reduced bugs dramatically.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
The only reason I went back to iOS 6 was because of the inconsistency of apps. On one page is the new, flat design while on the other it's still the same old from the 3rd party developers. I'll wait until they're all updated ;)

iOS 7 beta itself is fine.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I want to vote for iOS 7 because there are many changes I actually like. The new fonts and the glass-like transparencies actually look quite refined. But there are three things holding me back:

1. First is the lack of buttons mentioned above. Making all your buttons up just text of the same size and font but a different color makes it unnecessarily difficult to tell which items on a screen are tap-able. Apple says they want to let the interface recede and focus on the content. Doing buttons this way just makes it hard to tell the interface from the content. Apple could easily fix this by just adding wireframe button outlines.
  2. There is just so much white throughout the operating system. Everything is so bland and it is often difficult or impossible to distinguish navigation bars from content areas. Colored menu bars are helpful because they make interface elements easy to distinguish from the content. Proponents of iOS 7 say all the white makes the interface look clean. I would argue that Apple has crossed the line between clean and sterile. A little subtle color in the OS would really be helpful.
  3. Finally, the icons. I know it's been done to death, but I can't help it. I absolutely hate them. And it's not just because they're flat. It's because they're cartoony and lack any sort of cohesion. Some are white, some are black, some have gradients that go from light to dark, some have gradients that go from dark to light, and some have no gradient at all. Why is the photos icon an abstract rainbow wheel? Why is the game center icon a bunch of glossy bubbles? I thought we were done with gloss. I'm not saying the old icons were perfect. But there has to be some sort of happy medium between the old icons and this completely flat cartoony thing Apple has going now.

Until Apple fixes these things (and I'm not expecting that they will), I have to say that iOS 6 is still tops in the design department. Though, iOS 7 definitely has some good things going for it.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Because 99% of beta users here are non-devs who jumped through all kinds of hoops to get the beta and aren't about to admit their hard won shiny new OS isn't the end all.

Yeah that makes sense, none of us actually like iOS 7, we're all just pretending so we don't have to admit to everyone else that we made a bad decision!

:confused:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I strongly disagree with you.

1. Developers don't even care how iOS looks. They just want to know how it works so they can update their apps and continue to try to make money. You think Rovio cares about the icons or fonts? No, they want to make sure their games work on it.

2. The people who have enough passion about iOS are the ones who ARE jumping through hoops and running these betas as daily drivers and posting all their findings on the forums. They are the ones (like myself) that know every little crevice and underlying features of the OS and look forward to every beta update. They are also the ones who are TIRED of the dated look of iOS 6.

3. iOS 7 will go out to the public in Sept/Oct.

- most of the users won't even notice the 1 badge bubble lingering over the settings icon indicating there is an iOS update until someone shows them
- the users who will update to iOS 7 won't have an opinion so they will just adopt someone else's opinion about it.
- the bitching and moaning will last maybe 2 weeks until people realize how good it is.

the END.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I strongly disagree with you.

1. Developers don't even care how iOS looks. They just want to know how it works so they can update their apps and continue to try to make money. You think Rovio cares about the icons or fonts? No, they want to make sure their games work on it.

2. The people who have enough passion about iOS are the ones who ARE jumping through hoops and running these betas as daily drivers and posting all their findings on the forums. They are the ones (like myself) that know every little crevice and underlying features of the OS and look forward to every beta update. They are also the ones who are TIRED of the dated look of iOS 6.

3. iOS 7 will go out to the public in Sept/Oct.

- most of the users won't even notice the 1 badge bubble lingering over the settings icon indicating there is an iOS update until someone shows them
- the users who will update to iOS 7 won't have an opinion so they will just adopt someone else's opinion about it.
- the bitching and moaning will last maybe 2 weeks until people realize how good it is.

the END.

The poll just proves that the people moaning are the minority. As here is a saying, empty tins make the loudest clang :D

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I want to vote for iOS 7 because there are many changes I actually like. The new fonts and the glass-like transparencies actually look quite refined. But there are three things holding me back:

1. First is the lack of buttons mentioned above. Making all your buttons up just text of the same size and font but a different color makes it unnecessarily difficult to tell which items on a screen are tap-able. Apple says they want to let the interface recede and focus on the content. Doing buttons this way just makes it hard to tell the interface from the content. Apple could easily fix this by just adding wireframe button outlines.
  2. There is just so much white throughout the operating system. Everything is so bland and it is often difficult or impossible to distinguish navigation bars from content areas. Colored menu bars are helpful because they make interface elements easy to distinguish from the content. Proponents of iOS 7 say all the white makes the interface look clean. I would argue that Apple has crossed the line between clean and sterile. A little subtle color in the OS would really be helpful.
I voted IOS6 over IOS7 for the same reasons.

On other forums, developers have suggested that the real reason for many of these changes, despite what Apple marketing would have devoted fans believe, is to create a vector-based UI that scales to any resolution and any size screen, so developers can design once for phones with different resolutions and screen sizes. Text-based elements scale to different resolutions while bitmap-based graphics and toolbars do not. Thus, so long as developers continue to use bitmaps in their apps, Apple is limited in its ability to release new devices with different resolutions and screen sizes.

Apple has to move IOS application developers away from bitmaps and bitmap-based toolbars if they want "write once for every screen" software. My hope is that Apple will find some way to create vector-based UI elements that scale as a substitute for the old buttons that don't scale.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
iOS 7 brought all features which i needed, however i will wait for atleast one month after public release, iOS 6.1.4 works for me super duper, no rush to update to iOS7.

C19MAT

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
England
I like all the changes to iOS 7 except the lock screen. It says slide to unlock and then right below it is an arrow pointing upwards. To new iPhone users that may be confusing as it looks like you have to swipe up, and not to the right. Small point though, the rest of the changes are all positive for me.

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
I like all the changes to iOS 7 except the lock screen. It says slide to unlock and then right below it is an arrow pointing upwards. To new iPhone users that may be confusing as it looks like you have to swipe up, and not to the right. Small point though, the rest of the changes are all positive for me.

but if you disable the control panel in the lock screen, then you don't see the up arrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.