PDA

View Full Version : No airplay or mirroring on 2013 Macbook Pro Retina

jesperbjoern
Jul 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
After searching forums and the web for days I still have not found an answer so here by an independent post:

My MBP Retina shows no airplay icon and devices not available under Preferences>Display

When trying to connect Apple tv to iTunes library, it begin loading and shows the name of my iTunes library but after one minute, error message: ‘Could not connect to iTunes Library’. Find it strange that Apple tv can 'see' the name of my iTunes Library but can’t connect to it. Same goes for iPhone and iPad when trying to connect through Remote App to MBP iTunes.

iPhone and iPad connects perfectly to Apple tv with airplay, however they are not able to connect to my MBP Retina and iTunes over wifi.

Have…:
- 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with ML, latest update
- Apple TV3, latest OS
- iPhone5, latest iOS
- iPad2, latest iOS
- Have turned on Home Sharing in iTunes with same ID and all devices connected to same wifi
- Have followed Troubleshooting Home Sharing but with no result
- Have tried switching off Firewall on MBP but with no result
- Have tried connecting Apple tv via cable to router, no result
- Have uninstalled antivirus programs but with no result
- Have rebooted, MBP, router, apple tv but with no result
- Uninstalled Endpoint Security VPN
- Tried to Disable IPv6, no luck

Anyone up for a challenge? :D

Many thanks!!!

priitv8
Jul 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
First thing: are all IP-s from the same subnet?
Firstly I'd check if rMBP has same IP prefix as the aTV.
PS where do your devices get the addresses from?

jesperbjoern
Jul 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks for replying!

I am kind of a novice when it comes to IP's and so. But as far as I can see both rMBP, ATV and other devices are on the same subnet, router and DNS. The router distributes ip's to all devices. Have tried to switch off IPv6 on rMBP as that was a suggestion in another thread in here.

Since iphone and ipad works with airplay I rulled out there is something wrong with the router and must be limited to the rMBP?

blueroom
Jul 10, 2013, 01:12 PM
Some routers are rubbish and I've seen some that don't pass data properly.

twoehr
Jul 10, 2013, 03:49 PM
Try looking for a setting on your router for IGMP or streaming. Since the phone and iPad work it may not be this, but worth a try.

chrono1081
Jul 10, 2013, 04:11 PM
Some routers are rubbish and I've seen some that don't pass data properly.

This.

Please tell me its not a Belkin router...

MBPr15
Jul 10, 2013, 08:22 PM
Disable firewall

priitv8
Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 AM
Well, on my MBP I have both IPv6 and Firewall enabled, neither does affect the AirPlay streaming in any way.
PS when you just play a movie in iTunes on your MBP, do you see the AirPlay icon?
http://www.bigasoft.com/images/articles/how-to-airplay-avi-wmv-mkv-divx-xvid-video-files/airplay-video-from-itunes-to-apple-tv.jpg
PS What IP address does your MBP have? And what IP does the AppleTV have?
PPS Missing AirPlay icon means there is a problem with Bonjour service discovery, router's capabilities have not even been put to test yet. You might want to download Bonjour Browser (http://www.tildesoft.com) to see, what services your MBP has discovered.
For AP Mirroring and video streaming to work, it is important to see _airplay._tcp. and _appletv-v2._tcp. being advertised:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8ocwOw2C7H8/Ud5Ia7N7TkI/AAAAAAAAAm8/vRTPzjdjJOc/w640-h619-no/BB.png

tracyblue
Jul 12, 2013, 11:01 PM
Since the phone and iPad work it may not be this, but worth a try.http://t.cn/zQyQew5

jesperbjoern
Jul 13, 2013, 06:05 AM
I have just tested another MBP on the network and that works with airplay, so there must be something wrong on my rMBP. There is no airplay icon in itunes. Also my iPhone/iPad doesn't show as 'Devices' in iTunes.

IP’s :

ATV IP:
DHCP 192.168.1.54
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

rMBP:
Using DHCP
IPv4 192.168.1.46
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1

The Bonjour-browser doesn’t come up with any ATV or airplay. What can be wrong?

I uninstalled a company VPN and Avast antivirus, but can see there is still some leftovers in LaunchDemons and LaunchAgents – can that have something to do with it?

I really appreciate any suggestions you might have – Thanks!

jesperbjoern
Jul 13, 2013, 06:08 AM
Disable firewall

Have tired that with no luck.

FreakinEurekan
Jul 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
I uninstalled a company VPN and Avast antivirus, but can see there is still some leftovers in LaunchDemons and LaunchAgents can that have something to do with it?

Definitely could.

Create a test user account, log in there, & see if it works. If so you've ruled out general OS or hardware issues & it's definitely something in your user acct.

jesperbjoern
Jul 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
Definitely could.

Create a test user account, log in there, & see if it works. If so you've ruled out general OS or hardware issues & it's definitely something in your user acct.

Good idea, thanks!

Just made a standard account but same result as with my own account. No airplay available under iTunes or mirroring in menu bar :(

FreakinEurekan
Jul 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
Good idea, thanks!

Just made a standard account but same result as with my own account. No airplay available under iTunes or mirroring in menu bar :(

OK so it's deeper than a user issue. That's going to make it more difficult.

One option is just wipe the disk and reinstall from scratch - crude, but effective.

priitv8
Jul 14, 2013, 04:18 AM
From the output of Bonjour Browser it is evident, that you only see your localhost's services, none advertised by other hosts on your LAN.
Before going as far as re-installing OS X completely, I would delete and re-add (using the - and + buttons at the bottom of list) the Wi-Fi interface under Network Preferences.
http://www.bartneck.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/picture-51.png
That should set your network adapter's configuration from scratch.