Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Back in November I noticed that the battery in my 2008 macbook (non-unibody) was listed as "replace soon." Figuring I should probably listen I promptly replaced the battery at Christmas time. Now, however, things seem to be messing up with it again even though iStat and Coconut Battery both list it as 100% capacity.

Essentially if I close the lid and put my macbook into sleep mode without the charger being plugged in the battery gets drained even when it's at 100% charge to begin with. I'm fairly certain nothing is running that would wake it up or, at the very least, nothing has changed in the past week when this started happening.

I also noticed today, after turning it on once again and seeing the battery at 0%, that it was estimating 20 hours to charge. The number has now gone down to two hours but I'm still yet to get a percentage after roughly 25 minutes of charging.

Not sure if it's relevant but I think my magsafe needs to be replaced soon as I'm starting to see some separation near the T-Connector.

As well I have tried resetting the SMC so I'll update if that helps anything. In the meantime does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Edit: Does seem to be charging now (albeit only 4%) but still want to get to the root of the problem.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.