PDA

View Full Version : Which Mac For Logic Pro 9?

jerrydpi
Jul 9, 2013, 11:46 PM
Hello guys!!

As previously discussed, I have a 2012 13" MBP i7 with a 256GB SSD/16GB, running Logic Pro 9.

My best friend (and Guitar Player in my Band) wants to buy a new Mac and Logic Pro 9 for his/our Studio (at his home).

Even though he has admitted he may never do so, he's got in his head "What if i want to record, all at the same time, a Drummer (with six mics), a Bass Player, a Keyboard (in Stereo), a Guitar (him) and a scratch Vocal/".

So this leads to my question as to what Mac to buy.

Please note that he would love to have a MBP, but if a MBP will not work for his above "fantasy" scenario, he doesn't mind going with a Desktop, as he can save a few bucks.

And please note as well, I'm not going to sell him my MBP, as I don't think the Hard Drive is large enough, I got a great deal on it,
AND,
I don't like him THAT much :D

So we've narrowed it do to:

1) 2012 13" MBP i5 2.5GHz/8GB/500GB HD.
2) 2012 21.5" iMac i5 2.7 Quad-core/8GB/1TB HD.
3) 2011 15.4" MBP i7 2.3GHz Quad-core/8GB/750GB HD

Don't forget that he wants to be able to record 11 tracks at one time.

So which one should he go with?

Thanks!

Lil Chillbil
Jul 10, 2013, 01:49 AM
Tell him that if he wants a quality recording machine, he needs to get himself either a 6-core or a 8-core mac pro. throw in 16 gigs of ram and a gt 640 and he will be all set for as many tracks as his heart desires

spoonie1972
Jul 10, 2013, 08:32 AM
You could totally do it with a laptop - but I'd reco the quad-core i7 (which rules out the 13" model, iirc).

A decent FW interface, an SSD, at least 8 gigs ram (not sure if the 2011 can take 16 - if it can, put in 16), and you're good to go.

You don't *need* a mac pro to do this, but the extra cpu HP doesn't hurt if you start piling up on the mix.

Most of the time, my slave machine (my mac pro) is off.

YMMV. Best luck.

edit: i've heard LOTS of users STILL having problems with Logic in ML. Consider Lion as the OS if you can.

bwhli
Jul 11, 2013, 01:29 AM
I'd go for the 15" MacBook Pro. Might want to replace the HDD with a SSD in there though. Use a FireWire external hard drive for recording. It'll handle 11 tracks without any issues. I've recorded 16 tracks at once on my rMBP.

ChrisA
Jul 14, 2013, 01:31 AM
For straight recording, any of those options you listed will work. Audio is not a high data rate like video and does not use much disk space either.

Where he will get into trouble is if he has a half dozen audio-unit effects on each track and is using MIDI driven software instruments and wants to do it all at once.

Record to an external, or better get a solid state drive in the notebook

The other problem he will have is screen space. Running 11 tracks on a notebook is not easy. I would much prefer a 27" screen. He is going to need either an iMac, just for the larger screen or a monitor.

You do knw that a 16 channel audio interface and a dozen good microhones will cost more than a Macbook. You can spend $500 just on mic stands and mic cables