Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
up to which OS does it support?

what's the absolute MAX hd/ram can you up grade to ?

how much does it worth today?

thinking about purchasing one from a friend...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Depending on which 2008 model, a MacBook is probably limited to Lion (10.7.x).

As for your ram question, EveryMac.com will have your answer. It will also show what the OS limitations are for it.

You can probably stick anything up to a 1TB HD in there, it just has to be the correct physical size.

What is it worth? Check ebay and Craig's list?

Also factor in that the battery probably needs replacement if it has never been replaced.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

It all depends on which 2008 MacBook you have. If its the white 2008 MacBook then the maximum OS it will Support is Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5 and the Max amount of ram you can put in with the latest EFI version is 8GB. If you have the Aluminium Late 2008 MacBook, then the Max OS it will currently support is the current version of OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.4 and the upcoming 10.8.5). It currently is also set to support The new OSX Mavericks 10.9 as of DP3, but that may change and we won't know for sure if it will still be supported in the final release until it has been officially released to the public around september time. Again this also accepts a max of 8GB RAM. As for the Value of your particular Macbook it depends on 2 factors, 1 being the overall condition of your MacBook and 2, where you are located, i.e The US or UK/ Europe. to get the most accurate value for your Macbook you'd be better off looking on places like Ebay, Craigslist, Gumtree and Amazon.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Looking at it now

It all depends on which 2008 MacBook you have. If its the white 2008 MacBook then the maximum OS it will Support is Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5 and the Max amount of ram you can put in with the latest EFI version is 8GB. If you have the Aluminium Late 2008 MacBook, then the Max OS it will currently support is the current version of OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.4 and the upcoming 10.8.5). It currently is also set to support The new OSX Mavericks 10.9 as of DP3, but that may change and we won't know for sure if it will still be supported in the final release until it has been officially released to the public around september time. Again this also accepts a max of 8GB RAM. As for the Value of your particular Macbook it depends on 2 factors, 1 being the overall condition of your MacBook and 2, where you are located, i.e The US or UK/ Europe. to get the most accurate value for your Macbook you'd be better off looking on places like Ebay, Craigslist, Gumtree and Amazon.

I know I asked this question a while back, but now I am finally looking at the actual item. As a matter of fact I am typing this msg with it. I am not sure what I need to consider if I were to purchase this machine. Its a white body and I think this is 13" model. Its in good condition. It got OS 10.5.8 currently.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook 4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

If this helps. Is this worth a purchase now? I know its perfectly functioning but I really do not know much about it enough to make my own decision. I guess I am bit concerned about future usage to see how long I can actually hang on to this machine before I have to buy a new one due to software issues. Many do not support older models. Is it worth to buy this cheap and try to MAX out its usage or should just save money and get a newer model? Any thoughts, input, advice would be greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I know I asked this question a while back, but now I am finally looking at the actual item. As a matter of fact I am typing this msg with it. I am not sure what I need to consider if I were to purchase this machine. Its a white body and I think this is 13" model. Its in good condition. It got OS 10.5.8 currently.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook 4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

If this helps. Is this worth a purchase now? I know its perfectly functioning but I really do not know much about it enough to make my own decision. I guess I am bit concerned about future usage to see how long I can actually hang on to this machine before I have to buy a new one due to software issues. Many do not support older models. Is it worth to buy this cheap and try to MAX out its usage or should just save money and get a newer model? Any thoughts, input, advice would be greatly appreciate it.

Latest OS you can use on the macbook is Lion.
Max memory 6GB, check macsales.com for the the 6GB kit.

It is an early 2008 MacBook with Intel X3100 graphics.

Mine is a black one and the same specs as that but with 4GB ram and 120GB Intel 320 SSD. I have bought it from the marketplace here and just upgraded it to SSD for peace of mind when traveling. After the SSD upgrade it feels like new.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Latest OS you can use on the macbook is Lion.
Max memory 6GB, check macsales.com for the the 6GB kit.

It is an early 2008 MacBook with Intel X3100 graphics.

Mine is a black one and the same specs as that but with 4GB ram and 120GB Intel 320 SSD. I have bought it from the marketplace here and just upgraded it to SSD for peace of mind when traveling. After the SSD upgrade it feels like new.

But dont you have a soft ware compatibility issue ? If this older Mac does not support ( Plug ins / Flash, or other ? ) sorry I do not know these things but trying to let this machine last long time to come.. if possible, may be its not worth buying it... ?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
But dont you have a soft ware compatibility issue ? If this older Mac does not support ( Plug ins / Flash, or other ? ) sorry I do not know these things but trying to let this machine last long time to come.. if possible, may be its not worth buying it... ?

In my use case, I don't have any software compatibility issues. Even if it is older it still support plugins / flash and what not in Safari or any other browser there is. But I am not a believer of some of the plugins and most especially flash, that I removed all plugins that are not important to me as well as all traces of flash on the system. I have the latest MS Office app on it, latest iWork/iLife on it. It is running Lion. I have mac app store. Pretty much almost everything that runs on ML runs on Lion too.

What did i miss from the greatest and the latest? Maybe the speed trade off which is not really noticeable on my day to day tasks.

To make the machine last a long time, basically is up to the user. I can buy a new laptop today and can declare it obsolete tomorrow. It really depends on your needs. Heck, I am luddite and I still use old powerpc macs.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
In my use case, I don't have any software compatibility issues. Even if it is older it still support plugins / flash and what not in Safari or any other browser there is. But I am not a believer of some of the plugins and most especially flash, that I removed all plugins that are not important to me as well as all traces of flash on the system. I have the latest MS Office app on it, latest iWork/iLife on it. It is running Lion. I have mac app store. Pretty much almost everything that runs on ML runs on Lion too.

What did i miss from the greatest and the latest? Maybe the speed trade off which is not really noticeable on my day to day tasks.

To make the machine last a long time, basically is up to the user. I can buy a new laptop today and can declare it obsolete tomorrow. It really depends on your needs. Heck, I am luddite and I still use old powerpc macs.

Sounds good. The problem with me is that I do not know enough to convert this old mac to Max and keep it running healthy. It has been used and shared by two other people, and I am currently logged on as a "guest", I do not even know how to clean this machine all up if I were to purchase it, then next step to take.... :confused:

I also noticed that the battery life is really fast and it has 11 cycles I believe... Then the screen. I have to angle it properly or it wont show clear picture, I guess this is the same with any other lap top ? This model I am using is 13" its ok on my lap top using on the bed but tying making me bit difficult I think this is just something I have to get used to since I have only been using desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.