Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidefx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
I'm looking to ditch my atv3 and get a HTPC to get more content on my TV after cutting cable. Someone local on craigslist has a older mini 1.86 ghz for $100. Would this be a good PC for watcing some HD content considering its the same price as some media boxes?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
The specs on this machine would be barely suitable for HTPC purposes in my opinion. You can do 720p and below video content fine but anything above that would cause stuttering.

For audio playback it will be fine also. If at all possible, I would consider a mini from 2009 or later instead.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I would really avoid using anything older than a 2009 mini. From my experience with a 2.0ghz 2007 mini, you'll encounter stuttering that worsens as a video comes back, genuine overheating issues if you are driving a large hi-res screen, the machine may overheat if you're trying to encode video as well.

If it goes to sleep during a video because you take a break, expect massive jittering issues with video afterwards.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
The specs on this machine would be barely suitable for HTPC purposes in my opinion. You can do 720p and below video content fine but anything above that would cause stuttering.

This simply is not true. The ability to play HD content is more a function of the bit rate of the video, what the audio codec is, and which software you're using. I just retired this very same model of the Mini that played lots of Blu-ray rips that had been transcoded to 1080p h.254 video and AC3 Dolby Digital using Handbrake without any hiccups using Plex. The issue will be if you want to use Plex Media Server to send the video to other devices, in which case the C2D can have transcoding issues, particularly if the 1080p content has HD audio that needs extracted and sent to those devices as AAC.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This simply is not true. The ability to play HD content is more a function of the bit rate of the video, what the audio codec is, and which software you're using. I just retired this very same model of the Mini that played lots of Blu-ray rips that had been transcoded to 1080p h.254 video and AC3 Dolby Digital using Handbrake without any hiccups using Plex. The issue will be if you want to use Plex Media Server to send the video to other devices, in which case the C2D can have transcoding issues, particularly if the 1080p content has HD audio that needs extracted and sent to those devices as AAC.

Absolutely. The C2D can handle playing decent files very well. Use to play 1080i TV video over my network with the 1.86 model.

Transcoding on the fly might be too much.

sidefx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Sidefx - what all are you wanting to do with your HTPC?

stream tv shows off hulu, dish anywhere, watch some encodes, and play DVD's.

I currently use my macbook pro which is a 2.26 core2 and havent had any issues.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
stream tv shows off hulu, dish anywhere, watch some encodes, and play DVD's.

I currently use my macbook pro which is a 2.26 core2 and havent had any issues.

That model is actually a macbook isn't it? If I had to guess the problem with the mini would be the Intel GMA950 whereas that macbook uses the much better NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Your MacBook is the better machine.

Last edited:

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Well now you're getting into how you define HD. Anything above 720p is what it is. I would argue that there is a minimum bitrate that should be met as well. Sure, you can probably probably play low-bit rate content but that would look like garbage. The user says he wants something suitable for a HTPC...HOME THEATER implies he will be using a large display device, not a desktop computer monitor where the reduced quality will not be noticed.

KingHTPC3

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2013
Sidefx - There's obviously Slingbox and Roku if you want to get into something general. I personally like Slingbox for streaming 1080p... I know there was another media server that did all of that and more, try googling Assassin HTPC. I've read some of their blogs and they seem to know what they're doing there and could help you out with something custom...

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Well now you're getting into how you define HD. Anything above 720p is what it is. I would argue that there is a minimum bitrate that should be met as well.

What is the minimum bit rate, in your opinion? The Core 2 Duo Mini can easily handle 10 Mb/s 1080p h.264 video decodes with Plex or XBMC (both of which use ffmpeg for decoding), but ask it to extract AC3 or DTS cores from HD audio and it will choke.

Sure, you can probably probably play low-bit rate content but that would look like garbage. The user says he wants something suitable for a HTPC...HOME THEATER implies he will be using a large display device, not a desktop computer monitor where the reduced quality will not be noticed.

Does a 1080p projector and 10 foot screen and Dolby Digital/DTS audio qualify as HOME THEATER? ;)

I'm also curious, have you ever owned a 1.86 gHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini?

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
um, so if u end up not getting that mac mini, or getting it and not wanting it.........

just saying that's a good price. they're more expensive in my neck of the woods. even for that old of a mini.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I tried it with mine.

The big issue?

No HDMI output. Which means whatever you are using to play audio needs to have a (single) line-in.

If you're outputting to a hifi setup this may not be a problem, but you're only going to get 2 channel sound.

Maybe the port does TOSLINK (?) to get around this, but i have never seen anyone using it and this assumes your receiver does also.

Also, when working hard, it makes noise and its a bit borderline for playing high def content. It's also about 6 years old now and may not be reliable.

What I would do (and what I do) is keep the AppleTV as a player, and use the mini or other machine as an itunes library (or file store if you jailbreak the ATV2) that you can access from the ATV2.

I second the notion for a later model Mini - you want one with HDMI really (which will also have an i5 or better in it).

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I tried it with mine.

The big issue?

No HDMI output. Which means whatever you are using to play audio needs to have a (single) line-in.

If you're outputting to a hifi setup this may not be a problem, but you're only going to get 2 channel sound.

Maybe the port does TOSLINK (?) to get around this, but i have never seen anyone using it and this assumes your receiver does also.

Also, when working hard, it makes noise and its a bit borderline for playing high def content. It's also about 6 years old now and may not be reliable.

What I would do (and what I do) is keep the AppleTV as a player, and use the mini or other machine as an itunes library (or file store if you jailbreak the ATV2) that you can access from the ATV2.

I second the notion for a later model Mini - you want one with HDMI really (which will also have an i5 or better in it).
You don't need an i5 mini. Anything from 2009 or better is likely to be fine. The gma950 is the primary reason to avoid anything earlier.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You don't need an i5 mini. Anything from 2009 or better is likely to be fine. The gma950 is the primary reason to avoid anything earlier.

Not saying you need an i5, i just thought all machines since 2009 would come with one.

but agreed, the main reason I'd want newer is for HDMI and/or better video.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Not saying you need an i5, i just thought all machines since 2009 would come with one.

but agreed, the main reason I'd want newer is for HDMI and/or better video.

i5 cpus appeared in 2011 on minis. I have c2d 2009 model and it is fine but its borderline. I wouldnt get anything older than that. Simply too much hassle and workarounds.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Absolutely. The C2D can handle playing decent files very well. Use to play 1080i TV video over my network with the 1.86 model.

Transcoding on the fly might be too much.

I agree with this. I have a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini running 10.6.8 with 2GB RAM and it can easily handle 720p iTunes content and 720p MKVs

pac

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

LOL. Maybe you should have actually tried using your computer and learning about it. Although I'm sure Apple and its shareholders appreciates your extra purchases.

That said, I have relegated my 1.86 model to third computer in the house, with a 2.4 C2D and an i5 at the TVs, now. But that was more for Flash and gaming reasons for the kids. Simple video and AC3 it can handle, if that is the only intent. The biggest problem to me was the single video output, not what type. The dual output models are much more useful in a HT situation.

And my screen is only 8'.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Try to find a 9400M Mini. That handles all. It can decode Blu Ray flawlessly, it can play all H264 high bitrate content. Mostly because the 9400M plays an important role in all the decoding, and keeps the fans running slow.

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
I would agree here

I own a 1.83ghz mini running 10.6 and while it does alright over wifi on the 22" monitor in my bedroom, it will choke with anything more. I am all about getting the most out of your gear. But on this one? You are kinda sol.

spliffmon

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Still pretty useful

Until a few months ago I was using a 1.83 GHz CoreDuo Mini as my HTPC. I used a DVI-VGA cable to connect to my TV, and a mini TOSLINK cable to connect to my receiver. Even on this old machine the audio out is a combined headphone/optical port.

It ran the latest version of Plex, and could play 720p videos with 5.1 audio with no complaints. I upgraded to a Late 2012 Mini earlier this year so I could play 1080p. If your budget prevents you from getting a new Mac Mini, then this Core2Duo for $100 seems like a decent deal.

As for the cons, it could only run Snow Leopard (if yours is Core2Duo then I think it can run Lion), and it was painfully slow for anything other than watching movies.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I own a 1.83ghz mini running 10.6 and while it does alright over wifi on the 22" monitor in my bedroom, it will choke with anything more. I am all about getting the most out of your gear. But on this one? You are kinda sol.

What do you mean by this? The OP is talking about using it as an HTPC, which the 1.86 C2D can do just fine.

It ran the latest version of Plex, and could play 720p videos with 5.1 audio with no complaints. I upgraded to a Late 2012 Mini earlier this year so I could play 1080p.

The 1.83 C2D will also play 1080p video with 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital, provided one uses the right software (e.g., ffmpeg-based).

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
It will work just fine. Obviously newer models have the benefit of HDMI and more performance but at a greater cost. The 2009 model with a display adapter will do just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.