Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Ok I know what you're going to say.. it's already unusable compared to Google Maps but I prefer the GPS on the new Apple Maps in iOS7.

Has anyone else noticed that the maps are not loading properly in beta 3? I'll be driving and then suddenly the map will disappear into nothing and it just shows squares.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Ok I know what you're going to say.. it's already unusable compared to Google Maps but I prefer the GPS on the new Apple Maps in iOS7.

Has anyone else noticed that the maps are not loading properly in beta 3? I'll be driving and then suddenly the map will disappear into nothing and it just shows squares.

I have seen a few people talking about this in the "Bugs and Changes" thread. Not sure if it is everyone. I haven't been able to use the maps for an extended period of time, but they have been pretty buggy since beta 1. I think they had ALOT of work to do on this app, and they are working to make sure we don't have a repeat of last years mess (not that I thought it was THAT big of a mess).

To be honest. I think Apple Maps looks and works better than Google Maps. That being said, I am excited to see what the GM brings to get people back on board.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007

I have used it twice since a fresh install and had no real issues.

fabytmHD

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Romania

Works great for me on the iPhone 5!

kdhoe

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Belgium

I had the same problem today. Only when using navigation.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I used it yesterday for about three hours navigating the entire time and it worked fine for me. It did get a bit wonky when it switched into "night" mode with colors updating some places but not others but otherwise seemed to work well. That's on an iPhone 5.

Strang0r

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
I have the same problem, when the map disappears I can pinch to zoom out and then the map loads, leave it alone and the map will disappear again...

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've never used Apple Maps since discovering Google Maps' one handed operation - double tap + drag. If you double tap and drag up/down on the second tap, you can zoom in and out, which is actually an incredibly useful way to navigate when riding crowded commuter trains (when you often have only one hand available for using the phone, making a two-finger double tap to zoom out incredibly difficult)

rdinterman

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Still an issue

Tried a fresh install and the problem remains. Both on LTE and 4G. Works for a few miles, then just squares in both day and night mode. Wonder if it is a conflict with some other installed app. Killed all apps except maps and still an issue. Yep, I know, it's a Beta but this one seems to affect so few people.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Works fine for me. Try a clean install?

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I've found apple maps in b3 seems to work better for me.

In fact yesterday it was the only app to correctly route me home when the 1st Severn bridge was closed into England direction .

Sygic/tomtom and google maps all tried to route me over the 1st bridge with a warning of heavy traffic showing red on the bridge. It was closed!!!

Apple maps correctly routed me to the 2nd bridge instead !

I was pretty surprised actually! I'm presuming it did it on purpose and knew about the closure

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you double tap and drag up/down on the second tap, you can zoom in and out, which is actually an incredibly useful way to navigate when riding crowded commuter trains (when you often have only one hand available for using the phone, making a two-finger double tap to zoom out incredibly difficult)

Are you driving the train?
;)

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I've had this issue as well on beta 3. Don't think it was like that on beta 2, and I know in beta 3 they've removed the night mode. Sounds like there's a bit of work going on with the navigation.

Bentoh

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Used it to drive to town and back to office, smooth and sweet drive... location collections still sucks though :p

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee

i like these apple maps never had one problem with them. and in iOS 7 they are better with night mode.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
When beta 3 arrived I updated via OTA, but my Maps app doesn't keep loading data as I drive. If I do Overview and go back to Navigation, I get a quick load but in 10-20 seconds I've already run out of data.

I'm wondering, did anyone else have this issue - and then fix it by Installing beta 3 via iTunes?

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007

Why are you driving around with your test device? Shouldn't you just be using your primary device in the car?

----------

Topics like this belong in the Apple Developer forum, not here.

OP is probably not a developer and therefore doesn't have access to the Developer forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.