PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano Now Comes With "Case"

MacBytes
Nov 10, 2005, 06:23 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPod Nano Now Comes With "Case" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051110192307)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

clayj
Nov 10, 2005, 06:25 PM
Seems to me like Apple oughta be handing these out to existing nano customers who bring their nanos in to the Apple Stores... or even mailing them to people who've bought nanos from the online Apple Store.

wnameth
Nov 10, 2005, 06:31 PM
Seems to me like Apple oughta be handing these out to existing nano customers who bring their nanos in to the Apple Stores... or even mailing them to people who've bought nanos from the online Apple Store.

agreed

zap2
Nov 10, 2005, 06:34 PM
ya i want one

i have the iPod socks are there good but still i would not mind this!

devilot
Nov 10, 2005, 06:46 PM
Maybe I will head into an Apple store and ask about it... the guy who swapped my Nano (black for a white one) gave me a verbal IOU for the cool Nano black bag (they were outta stock at the time). Hmm.

JordanNZ
Nov 10, 2005, 07:24 PM
Have the video iPods always come with these? Cause I got my 30gig today and it's exactly the same, only bigger :)

Lacero
Nov 10, 2005, 07:26 PM
Can't Apple use the same material used on watches? Use high-impact quartz glass if they have to.

clayj
Nov 10, 2005, 07:27 PM
Can't Apple use the same material used on watches? Use high-impact quartz glass if they have to.Seems I've heard that somewhere before... ;)

And yes, as I've said before, I'd be willing to pay extra for an iPod that is as tough as my Swiss-made watch.

James Philp
Nov 10, 2005, 07:33 PM
Seems I've heard that somewhere before... ;)

And yes, as I've said before, I'd be willing to pay extra for an iPod that is as tough as my Swiss-made watch.
here here!

kirk5
Nov 10, 2005, 07:33 PM
Seems I've heard that somewhere before... ;)

My Swiss made Swatch scratches just as easily as my nano and the regular ipod. I guess you meant a watch that costs more than $50.

clayj
Nov 10, 2005, 07:38 PM
My Swiss made Swatch scratches just as easily as my nano and the regular ipod. I guess you meant a watch that costs more than $50.Yeah, about 30 times more expensive (TAG Heuer). I have a Kirium that's almost 7 years old and the watchface is still pristine.

amin
Nov 10, 2005, 07:42 PM
Would you be willing to pay 30 times more for an Ipod with the scratch resistance of your Tag?

clayj
Nov 10, 2005, 07:45 PM
Would you be willing to pay 30 times more for an Ipod with the scratch resistance of your Tag?Obviously not. But it wouldn't be THAT much more expensive for Apple to toughen up the screens of the new iPods so that they are at least not scratchable by soft fabric, as the current ones are.

Lacero
Nov 10, 2005, 07:55 PM
Would you be willing to pay 30 times more for an Ipod with the scratch resistance of your Tag?
http://olhux.net/trekmacro/spock.jpg

You're not paying solely for the glass. I'm sure the Tag watch's expense is more about the brand name and the mechanicals inside. It might be a 10% premium at most.

p0intblank
Nov 10, 2005, 07:58 PM
Very nice! It may not be the highest quality case available, but it will definitely defend the nano from scratches.

Sun Baked
Nov 10, 2005, 08:04 PM
You're not paying solely for the glass. I'm sure the Tag watch's expense is more about the brand name and the mechanicals inside. It might be a 10% premium at most.A synthetic sapphire crystal that large and big enough to be cut into a case for a nano would cost .... :eek:

Lacero
Nov 10, 2005, 08:09 PM
A synthetic sapphire crystal that large and big enough to be cut into a case for a nano would cost .... :eek:
I'll settle for shatter-resistant glass, if such exists...

but I'm hoping we'll have diamond coated (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html) iPod nanos one day... no more need for a stinkin' case.

maya
Nov 10, 2005, 08:20 PM
I'll settle for shatter-resistant glass, if such exists...

but I'm hoping we'll have diamond coated (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html) iPod nanos one day... no more need for a stinkin' case.

We can only hope. ;) :D

Eidorian
Nov 10, 2005, 08:30 PM
Two news submissions from me today. :D

lopresmb
Nov 10, 2005, 09:03 PM
good idea, if only they'd thought of this to begin with, no class action mess to deal with:rolleyes:

feakbeak
Nov 10, 2005, 09:10 PM
As for Apple making iPods with tougher screens couldn't they just use whatever mobile phone manufacturers use on the outter screens of flip phones. I like flip phones, all I ever owned. All three of them had external displays and I never owned a case. That's about seven years of usage with no case. I've tossed them in my pocket mostly. Took them with me where ever I went - all the time. Never had a scratch once!

Come on Apple, this isn't rocket science. When you are paying $300 for a device an extra $25 premium wouldn't be much. Hell, make it standard and raise the price a little bit. Most of the scratches I've gotten on my iPod aren't bad enough to make it unusable - just enough to make you want to buy a new one... hey, wait a minute! :eek: :mad: :eek:

balconycollapse
Nov 10, 2005, 09:35 PM
That looks like a baseball card sleeve. But hey if it works. I would get a bunch of them and put them on my collectible card game deck for style points.

Glad to see Apple offer a simple effective case. Remind people that its not indestructible. If they choosen not to use it at least they were given an option.

winmacguy
Nov 10, 2005, 09:37 PM
Two news submissions from me today. :D
Thats pretty good, there are 11 from me:D although this one is not one of them:(

weckart
Nov 11, 2005, 02:19 AM
If these are the same flimsy cases that came with my 5G, then they will scratch the surface rather than protect it. It's nothing more than a sop to the complaints raised so far.

ksz
Nov 11, 2005, 05:36 AM
Hallelujah, they're shipping a tablecloth with every table. A good step forward, but let's hope it does a good job.

Yeah, about 30 times more expensive (TAG Heuer). I have a Kirium that's almost 7 years old and the watchface is still pristine.
Me too, a TAG Heuer Kirium automatic! Thinking of adding a Kirium Formula 1. Just love the Kirium design.

matticus008
Nov 11, 2005, 07:31 PM
You're not paying solely for the glass. I'm sure the Tag watch's expense is more about the brand name and the mechanicals inside. It might be a 10% premium at most.

You're paying largely for the face and the band. Not only is the cost of that crystal enough to buy a nice dinner, but you're looking at several times the surface area and the associated problems in making larger sheets of it. You'd be paying the price of the nano all over again, just for that material. A 100% or greater price increase would be involved to achieve that same goal.

That is highly illogical. But bring on the cheap diamonds, by all means.

dan-o-mac
Nov 13, 2005, 08:45 AM
Has anyone who purchased a nano w/o the sleeve tried going to the Apple store to get one?