Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gamers with jailbroken iOS devices who have purchased or otherwise acquired the new game Deus Ex: The Fall are running into a problem when they attempt to play: they can't fire any guns, a key part of the game.

Reports Kotaku:
Encountered by Redditor KipEnyan and verified by several user reviews in the app store, jailbroken players starting up the first mobile installment of the Deus Ex series are treated to a few cutscenes and a movement tutorial before running into the message above. It comes up during the game's shooting tutorial, and while one would assume players could still stealth through the game, I'm not sure they can progress beyond that point without tranquilizing those guards.
deusexjailbreak.jpg
Eidos and N-Fusion, the development firms behind Deus Ex: The Fall likely implemented the measure to deter piracy, as jailbreaking is a requirement to pirate software, though not all users who jailbreak choose to pirate software.

As a result, users who choose to jailbreak for other reasons but pay for their software get caught in the same net as the pirates. It's not the first time that developers have resorted to similar tactics to stop pirates, although it is unusual for such a high-profile developer to target not just pirates but all jailbroken users.

Earlier this year the publisher of Game Dev Tycoon encoded features into the game that would bankrupt players who didn't pay for their copies, while DirecTV prevents users with jailbroken devices from using its app at all.

Deus Ex: The Fall is available on iPhone and iPad for $6.99 from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Update: An unconfirmed source has indicated that the anti-jailbreak code was included in Deus Ex: The Fall at the request of publisher Square Enix and that an update is in the works to remove it.

Article Link: 'Deus Ex: The Fall' Prevents Players With Jailbroken iOS Devices From Firing Guns

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
This won't be a popular comment, however I can't say I feel sorry for those who jailbroke yet still want to use legit software from the app store.

All my friends with Android devices went and jailbroke their devices just so they could play pirated software.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Can't say I feel sorry for those who jailbroke yet still want to use legit software from the app store.

All my friends with Android devices went and jailbroke their devices just so they could play pirated software.

As the post says, not all who jailbreak or root pirate.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Until someone mods the .ipa into letting jailbroken users play and then being able to download the game for free anyway :p

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
Things like this are going to cause MORE piracy... let me explain:

I'm jailbroken but do not pirate apps. If more and more apps start doing this, then before spending my money, I will want to check that there are no dumb restrictions like this, therefore making me WANT to pirate to make sure I'm actually getting what I paid for.

I bought XCOM and LOVE it. Had no problems with the $19.99 price tag. But what if that game had done this?? I would have been more than upset and never purchased another game from that company again.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
This is worse than DRM. No one should buy this game to show that developers can't ruin the experience to prevent a few pirates. Jail breaking is totally legal, and needed for some functions.

No matter how good iOS gets I'll have a need for 3G unrestrictor.

fletch33

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
Under a Rug
thank goodness there is a JB for people to get what they want from their iOS and if they want to make a choice for you then make a choice not to buy their products.

JB does not = theft. not sure who the guy above hangs out with that does it to steal but most people i know just want the simple features like attaching something to an email etc... that should be there in the first place.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
This is BS...

I jailbreak because I want a better iOS, not because I want to save $1 on software... Most of the stuff I use on my iPhone 5 is paid for and some other stuff is free. I am not going to waste time pirating. You can also pirate software with a legit iTunes account. Just login with your iTunes account on a different iOS Device and redownload all your software for free. One account, hundreds of devices that can have the single purchase Apps.:mad:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
No, but I bet there are a large portion who do.

A portion of people who drive cars do so to use them as a getaway vehicle for a crime - therefore should we ban driving?

There are far more reasons to jailbreak than pirating. In fact, I don't actually know anybody who pirates to steal apps (as a general rule of thumb, somebody who spends £600 on a phone isn't likely to be worried about a few $0.99 apps).

travod

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
While I think jailbreaking should be officially allowed, I also think that people who do it should realize that what they're doing is technically frowned upon and there might be consequences like this.

mjude01

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Try xCon

There are several apps out there that will not work on Jailbroken devices. The blockbuster app will show to continue loading. There is jailbreak app that hides the fact that your phone is jailbroken. It is called xCon. It works pretty well, not sure if it will work with this game, but it is worth a shot.

Matt

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Ugh... there are legitimate reasons for jailbreaking...
Exactly. Though Apple has filled most of my needs with features added to iOS over time, I still jailbreak because I enjoy my customized user interface. Sorry, no conspiracy here to pirate fart apps. I'm not that exciting... :eek:

Go on, devs, treat me like a criminal. Way to win over potential customers. :rolleyes:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Does xCon from Cydia get you around this restriction like it does with TWC TV and other apps that try to block jailbroken devices?

PruneTracy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
San Francisco, CA
This won't be a popular comment, however I can't say I feel sorry for those who jailbroke yet still want to use legit software from the app store.

And what about people like me who jailbreak only because Apple does a terrible job of supporting their products? Power button breaks, so the only way to do normal tasks like sleep, screen shot, reboot, etc is through jailbreaking? Apple wants $200 to fix a known issue with their phones. A phone proected by the Apple brand bumper.

It seems to me that I have every right to have jailbroken my phone to get that functionality, and now I'm SOL if I want to purchase software.

It's the wrong way to tackle a tough issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.