Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cal.png
Any.do, maker of popular list-making app Any.DO, has today launched its new calendar app Cal, which is aimed at helping people make time for things to do rather than just scheduling things they have to do.

The app syncs with Facebook Events, Google Calendars, Exchange calendars and iCloud calendars and contacts, allowing it to predict who you'd want to invite to events as well as where you'd like to host events. The app also integrates with Any.DO, adding your to-do list to the calendar instantly. On their website, Any.do says that what sets Cal apart is that it can help you find time for other things:
Existing calendars only focus on meetings & things you have to do. Cal offers a different approach. Cal helps you find time in between meetings. We call these moments 'gaps' and we believe they are key to help you have a good day. Used intelligently, these 'gaps' are true opportunities to help you find the perfect balance between work and play.
Any.do notes that it plans on creating email and notes apps that will seamlessly connect with both Cal and Any.DO to create a suite of apps that help people make the most of their days.

Cal for iPhone is a free app available now in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Any.do Launches Calendar App Aimed at Helping You Find More Time

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
At work, due to "security concerns," we use Good to access Microsoft exchange and cannot connect with our own apps. Therefore this would not work since I need to keep seperate calendar for my personal like or combine everything on Outlook at the office. The latter is a big NO WAY for me, so the apple calendar works for my non work stuff and I don't see this helping me out at all. Maybe, for someone that can consolidate all their schedule onto a single calendar, this could be of benefit. Maybe.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I didn't see anything in the video that looked like it actually finds spare time for you, just fingers swiping through calendar months. How is this saving us time?

A true assistant would just suggest free times based on an understanding of the event, and you saying yes/no, rather than manually finding dates on your own. That's the kind of stuff I had hoped Siri would evolve into, but Apple seems content to just plug in sports score APIs and evolving the actual capabilities very slowly.

Also noticed they used photos of celebrities in the video...hope they got clearance for that!

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I didn't see anything in the video that looked like it actually finds spare time for you, just fingers swiping through calendar months. How is this saving us time?

A true assistant would just suggest free times based on an understanding of the event, and you saying yes/no, rather than manually finding dates on your own. That's the kind of stuff I had hoped Siri would evolve into, but Apple seems content to just plug in sports score APIs and evolving the actual capabilities very slowly.

Also noticed they used photos of celebrities in the video...hope they got clearance for that!

As you enter events it tells you when your free time is, which is actually quite nice to see to be fair.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Interesting...but they are all separate apps. Pocket Informant Pro manages events, tasks, notes and contacts all in a single app where you can see all your stuff together.

The problem here is there is no consistency here, no integration. We've been in the mobile calendar biz for years and the thing that we have found is once people see tasks on their calendar it becomes clear that is the way to go.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. Yes, its my app, but we're pretty successful at it and our users use our apps for YEARS, not just for a couple weeks. There is a reason for that.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Y'know it looks really nice, but I won't be downloading it on account of it not being universal. I need to have the same apps on my iPhone and my iPad or the user experience becomes wonky and disjointed.

Maybe when we get a universal version as it looks quite awesome!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Disappointed that devs are still building apps without the iPad version. Where's the universal app?

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Hmm. Any.do still badly needs a full-fledged web interface, not just a Chrome extension. Not interested in tying myself to a service I can only use on my phone. Renders it pretty useless in the workplace, for me at least.

Last edited:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
We've been in the mobile calendar biz for years and the thing that we have found is once people see tasks on their calendar it becomes clear that is the way to go.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. Yes, its my app, but we're pretty successful at it and our users use our apps for YEARS, not just for a couple weeks. There is a reason for that.

Looks nice but no offline desktop / laptop interface makes it a non-starter. My laptop is not always online, and not being able to use my calendar when away from wifi (which is usually when I need it most). Apple notes, reminders, calender, Dropbox etc are all able to offer offline use and sync on reconnection.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Hmm. Any.do still badly needs a full-fledged web interface, not just a Chrome extension. Not interested in tying myself to a service I can only use on my phone. Renders it pretty useless in the workplace, for me at least.

I just received email confirmation that there is no web app even planned for Any.do, which writes it off for me.

"We have no plans for this at the moment."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.