PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with Apple TV...

Irishman
Jul 12, 2013, 11:29 AM
We're at the beach this week on vacation, and brought the ATV2 for entertainment, to use on the TVs here.

When I connect it via HDMI, and power up, it stays on a setting time page forever. If I back out of it to try to bypass it, all it shows me is the computers button and settings button.

What's up with that??!!?!

Panch0
Jul 12, 2013, 12:21 PM
Sounds like you don't have a network connection. Try opening the Settings menu and configuring the network. If you're at a hotel, they usually have a login screen that you won't be able to get past on ATV. Post back if you can verify that there is a network connection problem, or search the forum, I'm sure I've seen threads on connecting AppleTV to a protected network.

AppleCruncher
Jul 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
Sounds like you don't have a network connection. Try opening the Settings menu and configuring the network. If you're at a hotel, they usually have a login screen that you won't be able to get past on ATV. Post back if you can verify that there is a network connection problem, or search the forum, I'm sure I've seen threads on connecting AppleTV to a protected network.

That's my biggest gripe. I have to travel with a Apple TV and an airport express to make those work. What a PITA. Would it be that hard to add a login screen to the apple TV?

FreakinEurekan
Jul 12, 2013, 02:11 PM
That's my biggest gripe. I have to travel with a Apple TV and an airport express to make those work. What a PITA. Would it be that hard to add a login screen to the apple TV?

The login screens at hotels are not standardized, they're web pages using DNS redirects. The Apple TV would need a web browser in order to access them. Not impossible, but not trivial.

jmcgeejr
Jul 12, 2013, 02:55 PM
The login screens at hotels are not standardized, they're web pages using DNS redirects. The Apple TV would need a web browser in order to access them. Not impossible, but not trivial.

It's a bit techy but here's what I do. I use this app (see below) on my macbook air, I have a script to clone the atv mac address and then I get online with my macbook air, go through the web login etc. Once i verify net is working I then reset my macbook back to the hardware mac address. At that point I power up the atv and have it connect to the wifi and bam it works.

https://github.com/feross/SpoofMAC

Cinephi1e
Jul 12, 2013, 03:04 PM
I have suggested this before as it has worked for me at all hotels/motels I have stayed in. Carry an Airport Express and connect it to the hotel network, preferably with a wired connection. This has to be authenticated on the network using a computer, iPhone or iPad. Once this is done then all devices, including the Apple TV can connect to the network without requiring further authentication.

I have heard that some hotels may block switches or routers in rooms and also that they may require each device to authenticate, but I have not encountered this. At every place I just had to to authenticate the Airport Express and then had excellent wireless access for all other devices.

AppleCruncher
Jul 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
It's a bit techy but here's what I do. I use this app (see below) on my macbook air, I have a script to clone the atv mac address and then I get online with my macbook air, go through the web login etc. Once i verify net is working I then reset my macbook back to the hardware mac address. At that point I power up the atv and have it connect to the wifi and bam it works.

https://github.com/feross/SpoofMAC

That's pretty slick. I'll have to try that next time I am on the road.

----------

A web browser has been a feature that has been clamored for since the introduction of the AppleTV. An iPod has a web browser. Seems pretty trivial to me.

hallux
Jul 12, 2013, 07:12 PM
That's pretty slick. I'll have to try that next time I am on the road.

----------

A web browser has been a feature that has been clamored for since the introduction of the AppleTV. An iPod has a web browser. Seems pretty trivial to me.

Not so trivial when you consider the interface you're using to "type", the remote with a spinning wheel. If you're going to use an iPad as a remote to bypass that, why not just browse on the iPad instead and AirPlay if you need to share on the big screen?

shenan1982
Jul 12, 2013, 07:26 PM
We're at the beach this week on vacation, and brought the ATV2 for entertainment, to use on the TVs here.

When I connect it via HDMI, and power up, it stays on a setting time page forever. If I back out of it to try to bypass it, all it shows me is the computers button and settings button.

What's up with that??!!?!

Why not just plug the iPad or iPhone into the TV with an HDMI cable? Seems odd to travel with an Apple TV... now I know why so many travelers feel the need to travel with huge suitcases that weigh 100 lbs.

AppleCruncher
Jul 12, 2013, 07:32 PM
Not so trivial when you consider the interface you're using to "type", the remote with a spinning wheel. If you're going to use an iPad as a remote to bypass that, why not just browse on the iPad instead and AirPlay if you need to share on the big screen?

We still "type" when searching Netflix, Hulu, Flickr or Youtube. Or when searching your media library. Not that big a deal.

Besides, we have wanted a browser since before airplay.

You must not have an AppleTV. The remote doesn't have a spinning wheel.

hallux
Jul 13, 2013, 06:52 AM
We still "type" when searching Netflix, Hulu, Flickr or Youtube. Or when searching your media library. Not that big a deal.

Besides, we have wanted a browser since before airplay.

You must not have an AppleTV. The remote doesn't have a spinning wheel.

I actually DO have one, that's just the best way to describe the motion. I also don't use that remote, I use a HarmonyOne, though that doesn't make "typing" any easier.

Irishman
Jul 13, 2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for your attempts to help, guys. Looks like I'm SOL til next time.

AppleCruncher
Jul 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
I actually DO have one, that's just the best way to describe the motion. I also don't use that remote, I use a HarmonyOne, though that doesn't make "typing" any easier.

Spinning wheel is the best way to describe an up, down, left, right control?:confused:

Nightarchaon
Jul 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
Soooo glad i have the APple TV1, 140GB of local content, no messing, easy to travel with (removed wifi card, added h.264 decoder so it now does 1080p) :D